X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Matchbox Fighting Furies

Toy-Ventures walks the plank this week with a look at the Pirate and Cowboy figures from the Matchbox Fighting Furies. One of the more underrated toylines of the 1970s, these Mego scaled figures had a longer life than most US kids know. We also talk about Mego, Big Jim, Karl May, Marvin Glass and […]
    The post Toy-Ventures: Matchbox Fighting Furies appeared first on PS.

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I like to think I'm more than a casual collector of this marvelous line, but I learned something new from this video and that's a treat--thank you. Those unproduced items are wonderful--are they featured in any Matchbox catalogs?

I had Hook and the Capt. Blood set as a child. Now, I have a complete collection of the pirates line, though my Captain Kidd is the Sears version. The colorful boxed European Kidd remains a grail.

I didn't fully collect the Western line, though I have McCoy and Cortez in my Redcoat and Spanish uniforms, respectively. They have unique skin-tones and add variety to the line though the sculpts are the same. I collected these about 10-12 years ago, when prices were lower and stock more accessible. I recall buying a few items from a dealer in the Canary Islands and Eric, a kind member here from South America.

The Western figures feature bullet-proof armor and rubber-band retention-straps on their elbows to facilitate shooting poses and increased play. Somehow I never found a use for Crazy Horse and passed him over. I think he has a unique head sculpt.

The Sears "full-ship" Sea Fury is fantastic, it works perfectly with the Mego pirates as well. And I added the Mattel pirate boat to my Furies set, too--it's a really well-made item (typical of Big Jim), and I guess I coincidentally had the same idea as Lesney did decades before.

Though the audio dips, this is one of your best, Brian.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 14, '21, 7:52 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

The Playsets are in the 1975 Matchbox dealer catalogs, not the handout ones they gave kids tho.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks--I have a catalogue I'm watching on ebay, though I don't recall the year.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Falstaff13
          Persistent Member
          • May 28, 2008

This is a fabulous line. As a collector of western figures, I can offer great praise for their cowboy line. It's especially nice that they offered Crazy Horse, who was not featured in any of the other lines (even going back to the Hartland figurine days), thus providing a little broader spectrum of Native character options.
          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I've always thought this line looked way ahead of it's time. The graphics look more 80s than 70s to me in a lot of ways. That Ghost of Captain Kidd figure is beyond epic. I want one!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

i don't remember this line from childhood. I picked up a few at one point as an adult collector. but you know, i'm not sure whether i still have them or if I sold them off again. it is a great line though

Comment

• J.B.
                Guild Navigator
                • Jun 23, 2010

Great video; never knew about the Western Figures. Man, that Mason Reese was one ugly kid.
                You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

I think I had some of these figures, I do remember the clothing packages and did have some of those. I remember that falcon and may still have it packed away.
                  Last edited by monitor_ep; Oct 20, '21, 11:37 PM.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡