X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Diamond acquires CGA

Diamond Distributors has purchased Collectibles Grading Authority (CGA)

Diamond Comic Distributors has just acquired ownership of the Atlanta-based Collectible Grading Authority (CGA), an industry leader in action figure and video game grading. Steve Geppi, Founder and CEO of Diamond and parent company Geppi Family Enterprises told retailers today that "this acquisition further supports our mission to be the leading source for pop culture products and services worldwide. It is also a testament to the strength and stability of our industry and the faith JP Morgan Chase has in our companies and the markets they serve. I am incredibly proud to have Collectible Grading Authority part of the Geppi Family Enterprises' portfolio and I look forward to the opportunities ahead!"

The Collectible Grading Authority (CGA) is the operator of the grading brands, Action Figure Authority (AFA) and Video Game Authority (VGA) as well Die-Cast Authority (DCA) and Collectible Doll Authority (CDA). CGA will join Diamond as part of Geppi Family Enterprises (GFE), a network of pop culture companies owned by Steve Geppi. GFE includes Diamond Comic Distributors, Diamond UK, Diamond Book Distributors, Alliance Game Distributors, Diamond Select Toys, Gemstone Publishing, E. Gerber, and Hake's Auctions among others.
    more of the story here:
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/diam...ing-authority/

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • rykerw1701
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 27, 2007

Feels a bit like the fox watching the hen house, although they CGA doesn't set prices, it just grades the comics Diamond distributes and older titles. I don't have any comics graded. Once you put them in those acrylic boxes, they become just big plastic trading cards.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Seems like there may be a bit of a conflict of interest there, but with Diamond not holding the monopoly on comics distribution anymore, I guess they felt the need to diversify.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

They probably plan on making a killing on graded comics. They will get pristine comics and grade them and seal them up and sell them on ebay when the price gets sweet enough. That's my thought.

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

CGA doesn't grade comics though. It does action figures, video games, die cast toys, and collectible dolls. None of the comics grading companies, CGC, CBSC, or PGX are under the CGA authority as far as I know.

CGC is owned by Blackstone.

PGX is out of the grading business altogether for the most part (it's grading is a one man operation now as they let go of all their staff)

CBSC is owned by Beckett.

To me it's less about comics and more about Diamond shifting its focus away from comics towards pop culture collecting as a whole, and perhaps aligning more closely with their auction division (Haake's) where the can make more money grading stuff consigned to the auction for its clients.

-M
          Last edited by MRP; Oct 14, '21, 10:45 AM.
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

I thought they did comics too. I think the whole grading thing is a scam and a farce. Way back in the day when I first started seeing graded comics in holders, the comics were so poorly graded that I could see many flaws not mentioned in the grade.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
              Career Member
              • Jun 8, 2015

John Dolmayan owner of Torpedo comics is launching his own comic grading service.

With so many companies doing it, what are the bloody advantages????

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

They're ALL rip-offs

Grading in ANY form is the ultimate shyst

Want your Vinyl Jawa Graded ?

Just pass it under my b_lls and i'll come up with a proper grade

The b_lls never lie

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎