X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1979 Parker Brothers ROM: Space Knight Press Kit

1979 ROM SpaceKnight Press Kit One of the biggest splashes in the toy industry is when the game (and Nerf) giant Parker Brothers decided to make an action figure. Not just any action figure but an electronic space hero with bells and whistles not seen before. Rom was truly a toy ahead of his time […]
    The post 1979 Parker Brothers ROM: Space Knight Press Kit appeared first on PS.

More...
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

I never had ROM but always wanted one.
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I really liked the comic, but didn't have the figure. I think I was too old for toys when the figure came out.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

It's amazing how much of that backstory was fully formed in the press kit and the presentation video before Marvel got involved. A lot of people assume that was developed by Marvel based on MArvel's involvement in the backstory elements of Micronauts, G.I. Joe and Transformers, but that Rom material was brought to Marvel for the most part, not developed by them.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• RonnyG
          Career Member
          • Apr 23, 2014

I collected each issue of the comic books as they came out beginning with issue #1, and I had the figure, too! The figure was large about the size of the six million dollar man, and he needed batteries. I remember his eyes lit up, and he made breathing noises and his weapons made noises when you pressed the button, but that was about it. He didn't come with any other playsets that I remember like Steve Austin did. I sold it on ebay about 10-15 years ago for about $125. Probably worth more now if I had waited longer, but it didn't mean anything to me anymore, and I needed to make room for more collectables.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

This video gives a broad overview of ROM including which elements Marvel originated (and retained).

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

Well, except Dire Wraiths were part of the ROM mythology before Marvel got involved, which is why IDW could use them. Here's the ROM video shown at the 1979 Toy Fair, produced before Marvel got involved...

-M
              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Well, except Dire Wraiths were part of the ROM mythology before Marvel got involved, which is why IDW could use them

Parker Brothers created the name Dire Wraiths, but Marvel created their appearance, backstory, origins, etc.

(IDW changed their look and backstory when they used them.)

There was a trademark dispute a few years ago between Hasbro and Marvel over ownership of the Dire Wraiths. Marvel eventually withdrew their objection to Hasbro trademarking the name.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

i never had this toy. I remember it coming out and thinking it was kind of boring

Comment

• MRP
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                    Parker Brothers created the name Dire Wraiths, but Marvel created their appearance, backstory, origins, etc.

(IDW changed their look and backstory when they used them.)

There was a trademark dispute a few years ago between Hasbro and Marvel over ownership of the Dire Wraiths. Marvel eventually withdrew their objection to Hasbro trademarking the name.
                    So Marvel developed the concept Parker Brothers created. Marvel didn't create it. There's a difference between developing someone else's idea by adding to it and creating something. Legally and creatively.

-M

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

So Marvel developed the concept Parker Brothers created.
                      Correct.

Marvel didn't create it.
                      Yes, that's what I said in the previous post.

There's a difference between developing someone else's idea by adding to it and creating something. Legally and creatively.
                      Correct again. Parker Brothers' "evil magicians" concept had their origin and backstory expanded to involve Marvel's Celestials and Skrulls.
                      And we as ROM fans got a great, well developed comic book series that went way beyond the initial premise.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎