X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jrfjr126rock
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 23, 2008

Batman TAS/ JLU design

Im trying to use the female unarticulated body to make some customs of Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn and LiveWire based upon their classic TAS designs as it has the perfect body proportions for those characters.

Im using the Harley Quinn unmasked head as well since it has the perfect look of them from TAS. It should be fairly easy but I am stumped on the best way to handle the skin tones.

Does anyone know if I should dye the bodies, paint the bodies or is there a way to cast the bodies since the arms, legs and torso are removable fairly easily?
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Personally, I would try some dye, either regular or for synthetics. You may get better results with dye for synthetic fabric. Experiment and try not to over-dye the bodies. It's usually possible to tint them depending of the plastics used.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      Personally, I would try some dye, either regular or for synthetics. You may get better results with dye for synthetic fabric. Experiment and try not to over-dye the bodies. It's usually possible to tint them depending of the plastics used.
      Yeah that’s what I’m gonna try first. I still am wondering if these bodies can also be cast or 3D printed

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 23, 2008

I tried Rit Dymore and although I prob used a little too much dye, even if I used less the green is coming off way too dark and deep for what I wanted. I have seen others use the red Plasti Dip to fix zombie heads... I am wondering If I use Green or Blue it will give that subtle tint.

Comment

• darkbros
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 3, 2012

the key is to mix the dye according to the manufacturers website to get the desired colors first.
          once its dyed it is dyed, nothing will reduce the dye color.

go to the website and select DyeMore as the dye being used:
          Our base shades are only the beginning. Mix them together and the color possibilities are endless. We have thousands of colors to choose from.

I use the formula for the specific color i want to match , and mix the recipe using the "Item: for dyeing a Napkin" if doing one body , and " Item: for dying a Scarf" for up to three bodies.

boiling Hot water is essentially key: David Lee taught me that.

Add acetone in ratio of 1/2 cup to every 1 cup of water.
          For Dyeing one body for example choosing "WinterGreen" as Poison Ivy's skin tone, using the Napkin recipe, it would be 2 cups of water, 1 cup of 100% acetone, 1Tablespoon Tropical Teal
          1 1⁄2 Teaspoons Daffodil Yellow. Heat to boiling ( make sure to turn on the stove vent) and in goes the body parts. ( Destring, and if their are knee joints or elbow joints separate as well.)
          Depending upon the plastic, ( usually) torsos and waist balls may tint, but arms and legs should be ok. Pins won't and booties dont. ( however, BBP Lost female booties do)
          so if the booty has to show consider dyeing white shorts or painting the booties with acrylic paint.
          i have a video up somewhwere of dyeing I've done, and I have a few more coming.
          Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
          https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------
          "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by darkbros
            the key is to mix the dye according to the manufacturers website to get the desired colors first.
            once its dyed it is dyed, nothing will reduce the dye color.

go to the website and select DyeMore as the dye being used:
            Our base shades are only the beginning. Mix them together and the color possibilities are endless. We have thousands of colors to choose from.

I use the formula for the specific color i want to match , and mix the recipe using the "Item: for dyeing a Napkin" if doing one body , and " Item: for dying a Scarf" for up to three bodies.

boiling Hot water is essentially key: David Lee taught me that.

Add acetone in ratio of 1/2 cup to every 1 cup of water.
            For Dyeing one body for example choosing "WinterGreen" as Poison Ivy's skin tone, using the Napkin recipe, it would be 2 cups of water, 1 cup of 100% acetone, 1Tablespoon Tropical Teal
            1 1⁄2 Teaspoons Daffodil Yellow. Heat to boiling ( make sure to turn on the stove vent) and in goes the body parts. ( Destring, and if their are knee joints or elbow joints separate as well.)
            Depending upon the plastic, ( usually) torsos and waist balls may tint, but arms and legs should be ok. Pins won't and booties dont. ( however, BBP Lost female booties do)
            so if the booty has to show consider dyeing white shorts or painting the booties with acrylic paint.
            i have a video up somewhwere of dyeing I've done, and I have a few more coming.
            Thank you so much this is so helpful!

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I've never used acetone as a mordant, it would likely ruin the paint if tinting a head.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• darkbros
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 3, 2012

I've never used acetone as a mordant, it would likely ruin the paint if tinting a head.
                heads yes. Bodies nope.
                although.....NuMego heads have dyed really really well with it.
                I've dyed Invisible Men and Nosferatus ( both GITD and NON) and GITD Frankie's and made some cool variants.
                Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                  Moderation Engineer
                  • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by darkbros
                  heads yes. Bodies nope.
                  although.....NuMego heads have dyed really really well with it.
                  I've dyed Invisible Men and Nosferatus ( both GITD and NON) and GITD Frankie's and made some cool variants.
                  Have you ever tried the acetone blend on a vintage body? Asking for a friend who needs to turn a Hulk body brown:-)

Comment

• DaniellePlaysWithToys
                    Youngest Mego Fan
                    • Aug 30, 2019

I wonder how a DCAU Brainiac custom would be pulled off...
                    FTC apologist, Hawkman stan, and Cybatom shipper.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎