X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego: The Super Pirates

New to the channel? Subscribe! ?https://bit.ly/3D3zxJK MegoMuseum talks about one of Mego’s shortest-lived lines the World’s Greatest Super Pirates. The 1975 extension to the Mego World’s Greatest Superheroes included pirates from history, literature and totally made up. What happened? Well, there was some competition. Our magazine Toy-Ventures is available to order right now Ebay: https://ebay.us/XSS1X7…

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I adore this line, one of my greatest pleasures as an adult Mego collector was acquiring the pirates and Merry Men. I agree that these are beautiful figures;l and I like their design and accessories. I don't see the Shazam!/LaFitte connection, though. I particularly like the Patch headsculpt.

The Furies' Sea Fury ship works well for these figures, too. And one can use knights and Merry Men heads to make additional buccaneers--I kitbashed a whole second wave and hope to add Anne Bonny and a ghostly Jolly Roger someday.

Thanks for a great video, I appreciated the assortment numbers and close-ups.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 22, 2011

Enjoyed the video Brian. Thanks. I would love to see Mego bring back this line and the other four legends lines with new additions.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Informative video! I enjoyed the retrospective on this line. I never knew the motivation might have been for that competing line. That's interesting. Thanks as always for the great work you do Brian.

Comment

• rykerw1701
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 27, 2007

Another fun video. I only got as far as Captain Patch when I was collecting these back in the day. Great line, but the other three were just to elusive and priced accordingly. I have to think the Classic TV Toys version hurt the market for the originals, though.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Great video, I never collected the Pirates, but it’s a beautiful line of characters. They could make for some good Penguin henchmen from the 1966 movie version.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, I learned a lot I never knew, like the case assortment breakdown. I wonder why a real historical figure like Jean Lafitte got less case space than a made-up pirate like Captain Patch?

I also had no idea that the Type 1 and Type 2 Long John Silver figures had their peg legs on opposite sides.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

this was a line i don't remember knowing about as a kid and only discovered as an adult, along with the nights and the merry men. i would have loved them all as a kid

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I agree, though as a child I had Ivanhoe. What I like now is that the Witch's Castle and all the POTA accessories serve the "Legends" lines so well.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

you're right they do.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                      Permanent Member
                      • Sep 15, 2014

Lafitte is Teen Titans rare but less people collect the pirates.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

I bought my set thinking they were the originals (only spent $40 on the set). Never liked the colorful outfits for pirates but the figures are indeed nice to own.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Type3Toys
                          Home Of The Type3 Body
                          • Jan 18, 2005

Another fantastic video Brian. I love the Pirates line too!
                          You asked the question, would we like to see Mego bring back the Pirates line? I say absolutely yes!
                          But, with a twist. Make the same named characters, but create original sculpts and outfits for each one.
                          Also release all 4 at the same time as a wave.
                          Sure, I know it will be never happen, but it would be cool if it did!
                          LOOK
                          Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                          For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                          To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

I'd like them as Ghosts personally. I pitched that to Paul for the Monsters line.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                              Permanent Member
                              • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by palitoy
                              I'd like them as Ghosts personally. I pitched that to Paul for the Monsters line.
                              The original designs with all white costumes and translucent bodies. Those would look amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎