Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Mego: The Super Pirates

Megomuseum News Vintage Mego: The Super Pirates

New to the channel? Subscribe! ?https://bit.ly/3D3zxJK MegoMuseum talks about one of Mego’s shortest-lived lines the World’s Greatest Super Pirates. The 1975 extension to the Mego World’s Greatest Superheroes included pirates from history, literature and totally made up. What happened? Well, there was some competition. Our magazine Toy-Ventures is available to order right now Ebay: https://ebay.us/XSS1X7…

More...

Images
    I adore this line, one of my greatest pleasures as an adult Mego collector was acquiring the pirates and Merry Men. I agree that these are beautiful figures;l and I like their design and accessories. I don't see the Shazam!/LaFitte connection, though. I particularly like the Patch headsculpt.

The Furies' Sea Fury ship works well for these figures, too. And one can use knights and Merry Men heads to make additional buccaneers--I kitbashed a whole second wave and hope to add Anne Bonny and a ghostly Jolly Roger someday.

Thanks for a great video, I appreciated the assortment numbers and close-ups.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Enjoyed the video Brian. Thanks. I would love to see Mego bring back this line and the other four legends lines with new additions.

Images
    Informative video! I enjoyed the retrospective on this line. I never knew the motivation might have been for that competing line. That's interesting. Thanks as always for the great work you do Brian.

Images
    Another fun video. I only got as far as Captain Patch when I was collecting these back in the day. Great line, but the other three were just to elusive and priced accordingly. I have to think the Classic TV Toys version hurt the market for the originals, though.

Great video, I never collected the Pirates, but it’s a beautiful line of characters. They could make for some good Penguin henchmen from the 1966 movie version.

Images
    Wow, I learned a lot I never knew, like the case assortment breakdown. I wonder why a real historical figure like Jean Lafitte got less case space than a made-up pirate like Captain Patch?

I also had no idea that the Type 1 and Type 2 Long John Silver figures had their peg legs on opposite sides.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    this was a line i don't remember knowing about as a kid and only discovered as an adult, along with the nights and the merry men. i would have loved them all as a kid

Images
    I agree, though as a child I had Ivanhoe. What I like now is that the Witch's Castle and all the POTA accessories serve the "Legends" lines so well.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    you're right they do.