X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by MysteryWho
    I always thought it was a good sculpt that needed a nice paint job, so it works for me. I think they do have a soldier ape with a new sculpt on the way. My only small quibble is with the hands. His hands really should be black cause I think they wear gloves, the gorillas I mean. And yeah, the clothes are sort of wine colored, not full on purple, but I like it anyway.
    Oh, I agree, I always thought the General Ursus head is/was a well done sculpt: Like I said, I was always under the impression that we were going to get a new sculpt rather than a reused existing sculpt... But, maybe they will do another Gorilla with an entirely different head (fingers crossed).

I don't mind that his hands aren't black: I get what you're saying with wanting them to look like gloved hands, but the cuffs are a call back to the original cuffed Generals, so that's alright with me...

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

I had an extra Ursus and had bought the purple ape clothes from CTVT a while back. Weird to see this guy as he’s nearly identical to my kitbash.
      I can see these selling very well in multiples to build an army.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Dark Shadow
        Creature Of The Night
        • May 14, 2011

Really liking the repaint on the classic head, dang that really works for me!

Originally posted by apes3978
        ...Like I said, I was always under the impression that we were going to get a new sculpt rather than a reused existing sculpt... But, maybe they will do another Gorilla with an entirely different head (fingers crossed)...
        This was stated on page 3 of the New Figures Pictures thread (by Confessional):

"...Doc also mentioned (the aforementioned) new sculpt version and clothing variants will follow this one. Additional Mutants coming, including an in-development removable mask version. Nova still waiting on the new body..."

Check it out for full context:

Comment

• TheXFactor
          Museum Patron
          • Oct 31, 2013

Originally posted by wise guy
          I thought they were upgrading the original soldier ape not Ursus. I am cancelling pre order since I can't get Zira now anyway.
          Do you mean the Zira figure was cancelled by Topps, or that the wait until 2022 wasn't something you wanted to deal with? I guess I'm a little confused by you conflating the two figures since I was under the impression that the Soldier Ape was going to be a regular Mego and not a Topps Mego. I also wasn't aware that you could even cancel the Topps preorders, but then again I never really looked into doing so either.

Comment

• TheXFactor
            Museum Patron
            • Oct 31, 2013

Originally posted by apes3978
            While not dead on screen accurate, I have to say I always thought the original Enterprise crew were very well done, especially for their time... Sure the color for the phasers and tricorders was off, but I thought (and still think) the outfits, booted lower legs, and sculpts were pretty well done... (Now the Klingon and the original Aliens are way off from being screen accurate, but that's been taken care of down thru the years).
            Absolutely agreed on TOS Enterprise crew members, and will add in both Pete Burke and Alan Virdon from the second series of POTA figures for other examples of well done for their time. And although "screen accurate" is a difficult term to apply to comic book characters, I think Mego did a good job in capturing the animated essence of the- then, wildly popular- Filmation cartoons which inspired the original four WGSH characters.

As a personal aside, the difference with the Star Trek Aliens never really bothered me all that much. I'll take a MOC Gorn from 1975 over the "screen accurate" one from 2018 any day of the week.
            Last edited by TheXFactor; Jun 21, '23, 3:28 AM.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

the Klingon is actually based on the cartoon version anyway, isn't it?

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by TheXFactor
                Do you mean the Zira figure was canceled by Topps, or that the wait until 2022 wasn't something you wanted to deal with? I guess I'm a little confused by you conflating the two figures since I was under the impression that the Soldier Ape was going to be a regular Mego and not a Topps Mego. I also wasn't aware that you could even cancel the Topps preorders, but then again I never really looked into doing so either.
                Soldier Ape is a retail item.

Zira is a past Topps item, so you can't order her any more.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

He looks very surprised!

Comment

• TheXFactor
                    Museum Patron
                    • Oct 31, 2013

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                    the Klingon is actually based on the cartoon version anyway, isn't it?
                    I would answer yes to that question...STTASKlingon.jpg

Comment

• TheXFactor
                      Museum Patron
                      • Oct 31, 2013

Originally posted by palitoy
                      Soldier Ape is a retail item.

Zira is a past Topps item, so you can't order her any more.
                      Right, understood. What I don't understand is cancelling the preorder for a retail item just because you can't preorder one specific specialty item anymore ("I thought they were upgrading the original soldier ape not Ursus. I am cancelling pre order since I can't get Zira now anyway"). That's be like me cancelling a Soldier Ape preorder because I can't also order Brent anymore even though they're both from completely different sources.

Comment

• wise guy
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 29, 2014

Without Zira I am done with POA.I only wanted the original ones and without Zira ,and Soldier ape, no need to collect these.They look really nice and I am happy for those collecting them

Comment

• zeedox
                          Career Member
                          • Aug 10, 2007

Im not sure if my wife got the mutant order in it grabbed brent on his own, but I try not to miss any ape.megos or I know ill regret it. Besides you know bubble bath zira is only.a matter of time

Comment

• TrekStar
                            Trek or Treat
                            • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by TheXFactor
                            I would answer yes to that question...[ATTACH=CONFIG]31757[/ATTACH]
                            The Mego Klingon was based on TAS, as was them all, but it does have a somewhat striking resemblance to Klingon Koloth from TOS episode the Trouble with Tribbles.

Comment

• TheXFactor
                              Museum Patron
                              • Oct 31, 2013

Originally posted by wise guy
                              Without Zira I am done with POA.I only wanted the original ones and without Zira ,and Soldier ape, no need to collect these.They look really nice and I am happy for those collecting them
                              Oh OK, now I see what you mean.

Comment

• TheXFactor
                                Museum Patron
                                • Oct 31, 2013

Originally posted by TrekStar
                                The Mego Klingon was based on TAS, as was them all, but it does have a somewhat striking resemblance to Klingon Koloth from TOS episode the Trouble with Tribbles.
                                A lot of the writers who worked on TOS wrote scripts for TAS, so it stands to reason that they may have had input on such things. Plus, Filmation likely received character guides, photos, artwork, etc from Paramount. There's a really great book about TAS that was released a couple of years ago for anyone who might be interested:

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎