X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

The Birds

Back in 2008, I set up 2 Bird Feeders on our balcony. One was a Seed Feeder that had a sensor which activated lights when the sun went down and the other was a beautiful hand-blown glass Hummingbird Feeder. It took no time before we had a customer for the Glass Feeder. This is Timmy, our pet Hummingbird.

He's been gettin' his Drink On for 13 years now, so it may not still be the same Timmy , but we still call him that.

It took some time before the Seed Feeder was discovered; but once it was, we had a heavy stream of Sparrows and Finches.

There's a House Finch in the group, with the red chest/head

And a pretty Gold Finch.

It even attracted the ever elusive Titmouse. Though, he was too timid to share the Feeder and would wait for the seeds to hit the ground before he fed.

This was the rarest bird that came. It only came around once. At first I thought it was an Oriole, but after looking up some pictures in my Bird Book, realized it was a Black-headed Grosbeak. Wish I would have gotten a better pic of him.

Things were going fine with the Seed Feeder for quite some time, until one evening when my Wife saw an uninvited white furry guest with a long tail and pink eyes crawling around under the Feeder. The sloppy eating habits of the Birds had attracted the creatures of the night. After the scream, I was asked/ordered to take down the Seed Feeder. That was that. We still get to see Timmy, though.

Now this guy I found right outside my front door one day: The Red-whiskered Bulbul

Beautiful Bird with a pretty song

These are the infamous Pasadena Parrots. You hear them before you see them. They rule the daytime air, the Destroyers. So, here's the urban legend of these loud ba5tards:

"The popular theory is that they came from Simpson's Nursery in East Pasadena on East Colorado Blvd in the Lamanda Park area. It caught on fire in 1969. Either the parrots were released to save them from the fires or they managed to escape on their own in time. From these parrots, the Pasadena Parrots came about. Other stories claim that the parrots have migrated up from Mexico, but others still state they were originally black market birds released by smugglers."

Our neighbor came across this Bird of Prey during a walk this week. Could be a Hawk, but I think it's a Falcon. Named him Mordecai, after Richie's Falcon in The Royal Tenenbaums.

Think I'm gonna' end this with some Pecker pics (easy Mikey). One morning I heard a loud pecking sound from our balcony. Went out and saw this little guy going to town on an Avocado Tree.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

LOVE Hummingbirds !!!

Secret to get millions of Hummingbirds on your property …

Shhh, don't tell anybody ……….. Trumpet Vines

Hummingbirds go CRAZY for Trumpet Vine flowers

Comment

• TrekStar
      Trek or Treat
      • Jan 20, 2011

Those Pasadena Parrots are very cool.

Comment

• Duncan
        Museum focus-groupie
        • Jun 27, 2009

All very cool, except the woodpeckers. This morning the wife asked me to talk to the one pecking on our bedroom wall (cedar siding) while she was trying to sleep. He was willing to go on about his business elsewhere, but odds are he'll be back tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎