X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
    I've said in the other threads that I haven't seen anything past the Gene and Paul Kiss lines in the stores and that I was lucky enough to order the one wave through Chad and also lucky enough to get a few figures here and there from friends / extended family here on the museum of the figures I wanted. Finally got a Headless Horseman and the John Farley Mummy figure from a Mego Museum oldtimer (Thanks Pat ) They NEVER hit the shelves in Megos own backyard (Long Island) which makes it even more pathetic on Megos part. Would you like me to take pictures of the "New" Megos I have Lonnie?? Would that be proof enough for you?
    You don't have to prove anything to me. I was just curious because you seem to always post about Mego with heavy disdain. It seems you really dislike the company and want it to fail miserably. You also blame a lot on the company that isn't just, because it is stuff that is beyond their control. They don't stock stores and don't deliver to individual retail locations. If the stores you visit don't have them, it's not Mego's fault, it's the retailers at fault. I guess it's good you do collect some of the new Mego figures, but too bad you have to disparage them so completely.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
      Banned
      • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
      You don't have to prove anything to me. I was just curious because you seem to always post about Mego with heavy disdain. It seems you really dislike the company and want it to fail miserably. You also blame a lot on the company that isn't just, because it is stuff that is beyond their control. They don't stock stores and don't deliver to individual retail locations. If the stores you visit don't have them, it's not Mego's fault, it's the retailers at fault. I guess it's good you do collect some of the new Mego figures, but too bad you have to disparage them so completely.
      Obviously I did because you asked the question if I collected the new Megos. And it is obvious that you are not reading my posts entirely. If you did you would see that I don't want to see them fail miserably like you have stated in your post. Might want to go back and re-read the other posts because it seems you only skimmed the posts and didn't read them to the end. I point out the fact that this has been a Marketing DISASTER. I am not the only one that thinks that way. If the figures are not in the stores than the least they can do is stop saying that the figures are in Walmart etc. They made a big deal about it when they announced them being in Walmart...yet I have yet to see ANY figures in Walmart. They are not serving their customer buying base with the exclusives. Please enlighten us on how the putrid pre-orders is helping Mego financially. Please explain how a lower price by NOT making them exclusives and by making them available to ALL, either in a store or through Frank and Zolo, is SOOOOOO Beneficial to Megos bottom line. If you can't answer either question, than PLEASE stop it with how GREAT this deal is. It's not a great deal for anyone when all is said and done. You know it and a lot of others know it. C'mon, Mego is doing less numbers than Playmates did with the Trek figures. That is just out and out pathetic. Playmates didn't survive it and I hope it doesn't do the same to Mego.
      Last edited by Blue Meanie; Oct 2, '21, 6:32 PM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

You're still blaming Mego for how Walmart is selling them. Mego has no control over that. If it were up to Mego, Walmart would have an entire wall of the figures with full pegs. I do read your full postings. Maybe you should go back and read them from a different point of view. I only asked if you were collecting them, I didn't say you had to prove anything. It was a yes or no question. And as far as stopping saying how much I like the Topps deal, I will not. I love the offerings, even the ones I don't collect. The only figure I didn't like is Quark, because I can't stand Ferengi. It is a really cool figure, though. I just think you should stop bashing Mego for how Walmart hasn't had any figures for you to witness or purchase. It isn't Mego's fault. I spent hours looking the other day and only saw one Dr. Zaius figure. That isn't Mego's fault, it is Target's fault and Walmart's.

Comment

• drogge
          Career Member
          • Jul 24, 2009

I would say things are selling well, if you add everything up Topps has sold roughly 400,000 worth of Mego Product. If you are looking at a 50 percent markup, I'd say that 200,000 in 7 weeks is pretty sweet, and with 0 marketing costs and 0 warehouse costs. Most likely a 100,000 profit for Mego. 45 more weeks to go... 7/45 is roughly 6, so six more rounds of 400,000. I would not say the Topps venture was a flop at all.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

I think the future of collectibles is going to be the Kickstarter style, on-demand model. As production costs rise, companies are going to be less likely to want to gamble making any collectable that could possibly fail to make a profit. The Kickstarter template eliminates that gamble, and for companies such as Hasbro, allows them to offer items that would never have made it to mass market production directly to fans.

I think trying to stock stores with collectibles will be phased out over time. The process has become antiquated. I’ve read a number of people say their store doesn’t even have a collectable section, or that the section is poorly stocked. Often stock that is available is damaged.

Like it or not, I think that’s where things are going.
            Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Oct 3, '21, 10:47 AM.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Banned
              • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by drogge
              I would say things are selling well, if you add everything up Topps has sold roughly 400,000 worth of Mego Product. If you are looking at a 50 percent markup, I'd say that 200,000 in 7 weeks is pretty sweet, and with 0 marketing costs and 0 warehouse costs. Most likely a 100,000 profit for Mego. 45 more weeks to go... 7/45 is roughly 6, so six more rounds of 400,000. I would not say the Topps venture was a flop at all.
              What the hell are you talking about? Are you seeing the numbers next to PR in the archive page that was posted??!!?? How does that add up to the numbers you stated??!!?? 2 figures barely broke the 2000 pre-order number. There are only 10 figures that were released by Topps. Please do the math again. Your numbers are WAYYYYYYY OFF.

Topps has ONLY sold, through pre-orders, 17,172 total units / figures. That is adding up all 10 figures. Nowhere near 400,000 number you came up with.
              Last edited by Blue Meanie; Oct 3, '21, 1:15 PM.

Comment

• ToyTalk
                Career Member
                • Mar 25, 2020

I can't find Warf or the Borg Queen's numbers to add in, but even without those two, his numbers are not way off. I show over $343,268.28 retail without the missing two. Does anyone have numbers on those two figures? I've been reading this thread over the entertainment value but the variance in opinion is getting borderline aggressive. Time for cooler heads to prevail everyone. I can appreciate both points of view and even more so, can understand both sides. I realize the price-point combined with the frequency of the new releases has turned some folks off. Combine in high shipping cost outside of the 48 Continental states and that increases frustration exponentially. Those are valid points that make this whole deal aggravating for the aforementioned groups. However, having the new variations on some figures and the addition of others that have never been made before make this a pretty awesome deal all-around for others. As for the volume, who cares. Providing Hasbro feels they are making enough money to keep producing more figures than what do we care. Me personally, I'm happy to see so many Mego/Mego style figures being created. My budget for toys is pretty extreme and even I can't get all of the offerings out there, but I sure do enjoy the hunt. That's what the fun of collecting is all about, the hunt. Just my two-cents.
                Last edited by ToyTalk; Oct 3, '21, 1:27 PM.
                Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• MegoSteve
                  Superman's Pal
                  • Jun 17, 2005

400,000 worth means $400K, not 400,000 units.

Those unit numbers are pretty bad, IMO... doesn't seem worth the cost of developing new sculpts and costumes, but I'd expect the pieces and parts to be reused in future releases.

Ascribing low order numbers to people being upset and not ordering is just speculation. I think the more likely scenario is just that Megos are a very niche product and not many people are aware or care much about them.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by MegoSteve

Those unit numbers are pretty bad, IMO... doesn't seem worth the cost of developing new sculpts and costumes, but I'd expect the pieces and parts to be reused in future releases.

Ascribing low order numbers to people being upset and not ordering is just speculation. I think the more likely scenario is just that Megos are a very niche product and not many people are aware or care much about them.
                    Some of the new figures are using stuff made for older figures. The Spock figure only needs a new outfit. Kor only has a new head. Not much cost in making those two figures, and they have the best sales numbers.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

What the hell are you talking about? Are you seeing the numbers next to PR in the archive page that was posted??!!?? How does that add up to the numbers you stated??!!?? 2 figures barely broke the 2000 pre-order number. There are only 10 figures that were released by Topps. Please do the math again. Your numbers are WAYYYYYYY OFF.

Topps has ONLY sold, through pre-orders, 17,172 total units / figures. That is adding up all 10 figures. Nowhere near 400,000 number you came up with.
                      With Worf and Borg Queen added in, it's 20,003 figures they list as sold. That's $400,060 like drogge said. He was indeed correct.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                        Banned
                        • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by MegoSteve

Then my apologies to Drogge. I misunderstood the 400,000 number. There were no dollar signs in front so I assumed you were talking about figures pre-ordered. My fault in assuming The numbers are still off though. When I was buying Doc's EMCE figures they ended up as 100% markup when Diamond had them. I was only ordering 2 cases per wave and I was getting the figures at about 11 - 12 bucks each. Same went for the Monsters that EMCE made and sold through Diamond. Suggested retail of the EMCE figures ranged from $25 - $29 per figure. I know that was 14 years ago...but it's more than a 50% markup. So that would make the Topps figures in the 9 - 12 bucks each range if they are selling them at $19.99 each. Toy Talk's numbers are almost exactly what I came up with if you look at the figures at a 100% markup ($10 per figure wholesale) I think MegoSteve's post hits the nail on the head when you look at the overall picture of what and how the exclusive market is doing to SOME of the manufacturers. Again, how did Matty Collector fair when all was said and done. A lot of unmade figures that were previewed and a lot of very unhappy Matty Collector Club Members when the closed up shop.

Comment

• drogge
                          Career Member
                          • Jul 24, 2009

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                          With Worf and Borg Queen added in, it's 20,003 figures they list as sold. That's $400,060 like drogge said. He was indeed correct.
                          I was just try to demonstrate that the TOPPS deal is profitable. I understand the frustration of having to pay 55 every week or risk losing the ability to buy these, it creates anxiety. Collecting should be fun and casual. I would say the TOPPS deal is for low runs, a way to keep the factories busy. I do believe some of these will show back up as variants, or perhaps TOPPS will offer a last chance buy.

Comment

• drogge
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 24, 2009

Then my apologies to Drogge. I misunderstood the 400,000 number. There were no dollar signs in front so I assumed you were talking about figures pre-ordered. My fault in assuming The numbers are still off though. When I was buying Doc's EMCE figures they ended up as 100% markup when Diamond had them. I was only ordering 2 cases per wave and I was getting the figures at about 11 - 12 bucks each. Same went for the Monsters that EMCE made and sold through Diamond. Suggested retail of the EMCE figures ranged from $25 - $29 per figure. I know that was 14 years ago...but it's more than a 50% markup. So that would make the Topps figures in the 9 - 12 bucks each range if they are selling them at $19.99 each. Toy Talk's numbers are almost exactly what I came up with if you look at the figures at a 100% markup ($10 per figure wholesale) I think MegoSteve's post hits the nail on the head when you look at the overall picture of what and how the exclusive market is doing to SOME of the manufacturers. Again, how did Matty Collector fair when all was said and done. A lot of unmade figures that were previewed and a lot of very unhappy Matty Collector Club Members when the closed up shop.
                            I think you are right, a 100% mark up in more likely. I was being conservative. If they average 3000 figures sold each week, that's 156,000 figures. Mego has committed to produce whatever is ordered provided TOPPS is happy with the print run. It is a great way to get some otherwise unproduced figures out there and it gives Mego a heads up on what people want to buy. I am sure the higher runs will reappear in some fashion. This is the closest Mego wants to be as far as an online retailer.
                            Last edited by drogge; Oct 4, '21, 2:38 AM.

Comment

• pmwasson
                              Maker
                              • Sep 12, 2007

It was a good run...

sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• ToyTalk
                                Career Member
                                • Mar 25, 2020

Certainly appears to be the case :(

Wonder if that means they are not going to produce the ones we have already paid for?
                                Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎