X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zeedox
    Career Member
    • Aug 10, 2007

Return of the Box Sets?

Maybe the Topps figures will show up again in those nice box sets like the Witch and Dorothy.
    I have the Mirror Mirror one I just noticed I don't have the regular Uhura did that come out after the box
    set?

To make my point tho I think Dorothy and Witch were released in box and card.
  • Tiberiusguy
    Museum Patron
    • Aug 23, 2019

No, the Mirror figures were only in the boxes and the standard uniforms on card. I like the idea of the Topps figures in boxes, but maybe those European (flat) two pack boxes. That would make them unique enough that they might be released again in the future. Except they would be better where the figures were paired up. The Apes and the Sisko sets would work, but maybe not TMP Spock…
    While typing this I thought… what if Kor was in a twin pack with a Standard Klingon, Worf with a Klingon Warrior… etc. I know it would enrage some, because they either would miss out or only want one, but the figures would have a chance to come out in the future.

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

That was a Target deal Dorothy & Wicked Witch were offered on Amazon/Walmart as single carded figures.
      $_57.jpgNew Mego Dorothy.jpg

Uhura was at Walmart/Target as a single carded figure but it was like they used there original mold with the hair that did not match her tv show unlike the molded version that Playmates released.
      playmates uhura.jpgNu Mego Uhura.jpg
      Last edited by monitor_ep; Sep 29, '21, 3:38 PM.
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Liu Bei
        Banned
        • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by monitor_ep
        That was a Target deal Dorothy & Wicked Witch were offered on Amazon/Walmart as single carded figures.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]31653[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31652[/ATTACH]

Uhura was at Walmart/Target as a single carded figure but it was like they used there original mold with the hair that did not match her tv show unlike the molded version that Playmates released.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]31654[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]31655[/ATTACH]
        Just another reason why I’d prefer Mego go the route of molded hair. The figures look infinitely better.

I haven’t been happy with any of the new Mego female figures with rooted hair.

Those 9-inch (and later 12-inch) female figures by Playmates with molded hair, on the other hand, still look great, even today.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

I'm pretty sure the Topps figures won't be boxed sets of two figures. Lots of people are buying just one of the figures, so they would have to be producing three packages and keeping track of how many of each needed which packages. It would also stop people from buying figures if they plan to resell them individually, if they came in two-packs.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Liu Bei
            Just another reason why I’d prefer Mego go the route of molded hair. The figures look infinitely better.

I haven’t been happy with any of the new Mego female figures with rooted hair.

Those 9-inch (and later 12-inch) female figures by Playmates with molded hair, on the other hand, still look great, even today.
            Molded hair doesn't really work for figures with long hair.

Comment

• Liu Bei
              Banned
              • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
              Molded hair doesn't really work for figures with long hair.
              It’s difficult, for sure, but can be done and done well. The Playmates 12-inch Troi had molded long hair, and it was one of the best figures they did. On the other hand, their 9-inch Troi, with rooted hair, was one of their worst.

I’ll try to post some pics later of the two for comparison.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Liu Bei
                It’s difficult, for sure, but can be done and done well. The Playmates 12-inch Troi had molded long hair, and it was one of the best figures they did. On the other hand, their 9-inch Troi, with rooted hair, was one of their worst.

I’ll try to post some pics later of the two for comparison.
                But, with molded long hair, you lose the neck articulation.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                  Banned
                  • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                  But, with molded long hair, you lose the neck articulation.
                  In theory that might be a concern, but in reality I haven’t seen it happen very often. DC and Marvel have been doing long hair on their female (and male) figures for years, and in most cases it hasn’t limited articulation at all. One of the ways you can mitigate that issue is to have a softer plastic for the hair, allowing it to move up and down as the figure turns his/her head.

Also allowing just enough space between the hair and neck/black helps with articulation as well.

I’m not against rooted hair, but Mego is going to have to do a much better job than they’ve been doing since the relaunch.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

IMO, (female) rooted hair vs molded hair is the difference between true action figures and static displayable articulated statues.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

i think the rooted hair would also work better if they had better head sculpts, and the better female body. the head sculpts on the new Mego haven't been very good for the women.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                        Banned
                        • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                        i think the rooted hair would also work better if they had better head sculpts, and the better female body. the head sculpts on the new Mego haven't been very good for the women.
                        That’s true too, but it’s just hard to get rooted hair to simulate real human hair. Super long, straight hair like Barbie or Cher can be done, but shorter or curly hair just never looks right. Counselor Troi’s hair from TNG will never look right with rooted hair, in my opinion. I’d love to be proven wrong. I’d choose rooted hair over molded if it could be done right.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                          Banned
                          • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Mikey
                          IMO, (female) rooted hair vs molded hair is the difference between true action figures and static displayable articulated statues.
                          Hasbro isn’t making real action figures with G.I. Joe and Star Wars, then? I guess somebody needs to pass the message on to Marvel Legends collectors that those 30+ point, super articulated figures are just static statues. Transformers fans might be super shocked as well.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                            I don't agree. The female sculpts have been decent to good, a lot depends on the rooting and deco. Mego is light-years ahead of FTC regarding female head sculpts. I do think Mego could show more care in rooting and styling, but I'd prefer a rooted Nova.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

i agree with you about Mego beign light years better than FTC on the female heads, but i just don't like the modern sculpts they have done so far

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎