Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars vintage collection Droids cartoon figures.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Star Wars vintage collection Droids cartoon figures.

I think they look cool and SW cartoon figures are long overdue.

Hasbro sent through pics and details for a new EXPRESSION of figures based on Star Wars: DROIDS. Included will be both The Black Series and The Vintage Collection figures in unique color palettes based on the show. They are all Target exclusives in the US. Tomorrow's Target Geek Out item is Star Wars themed, so...

I have to be honest though, I would have preferred actual Droids figure reissues in the retro collection over modern repaints. I think that's a real missed opportunity. I would love see actual vintage Kenner Droids and Ewoks figures. Now those I'd buy.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

those are pretty fun. It would definitely be cool to see the whole line re-popped or re-imagined. If I was going to be a SW nitpicker, I would want to see the R2 with some sort of pop up saber instead of the radar thingy, but I think they are pretty cool for modern versions of the 1985 toys. This line was a great extension and last gasp of the classic 5 point figures; not so sure about the Ewoks ones - those went a bit further away since there were no human characters.

Comment

• SeattleEd
      SynthoRes Transmigrator
      • Oct 24, 2007

For those interested, folks can get 5poa Droids figures including non produced characters from fan made sites that are factory made and garage made that are made from the same materials as the original. They are black market which means they will cost more and not sanctioned by Hasbro.
      These are an easy pass for me as they are just repaints but they will sell out.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 22, 2011

Surprisingly I was able to get in a preorder for these on Target.com this morning.

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

I was thinking that there must be 3D files of these figures somewhere and was considering printing some of the Droids ones that I don't have. The second series figures would be pretty awesome.

It also strikes me as a bit funny that the best seller here will probably be the black series Fett with the cartoony paint deco when the original Droids version was the same as every other card that Fett came on, just with the Droids card back. So if Hasbro really wanted to be retro, they should just put a regular deco Fett in the new packaging.

Originally posted by SeattleEd
          For those interested, folks can get 5poa Droids figures including non produced characters from fan made sites that are factory made and garage made that are made from the same materials as the original. They are black market which means they will cost more and not sanctioned by Hasbro.
          These are an easy pass for me as they are just repaints but they will sell out.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by rche
            I was thinking that there must be 3D files of these figures somewhere and was considering printing some of the Droids ones that I don't have. The second series figures would be pretty awesome.

It also strikes me as a bit funny that the best seller here will probably be the black series Fett with the cartoony paint deco when the original Droids version was the same as every other card that Fett came on, just with the Droids card back. So if Hasbro really wanted to be retro, they should just put a regular deco Fett in the new packaging.
            I don't have a problem with these being repaints the originals were as well. Only what 20ish kenner style figures were released so far, so Droids would be a niche product for vintage collectors that can't afford the originals. But if they are done in the style of modern figures I think the belong on alot of fans shelves.

The Droids cartoon wasn't very good and is best remembered as when Star Wars wasn't popular anymore. Evergreen properties were less common back then, fandom was a fad or a cycle that eventually needed time to rest. Kids were uncool if they enjoyed the same thing in 9th grade than they did in 5th grade.

Things are different these days and Star Wars has had content and/or merchandise from 1993-now.

Comment

• SeattleEd
              SynthoRes Transmigrator
              • Oct 24, 2007

^^^ There are files you can find online or buy. Check out Etsy, you will find the figures made or the files. So much custom stuff on there it's crazy.
              My favorite underground rebel toy maker is Gary Weaver, who should be working for Hasbro on their retro line. He made both the Droids Fett and Holiday Fett properly, for which Hasbro is too lazy to retool the molds to make them more accurate, more so with the chest plate and shoulder pauldrons that reflect the character in the animations. His stuff is art toy level super pricey. Makes just a handfuls and moves on to next project.

Here are some of his creations:

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by SeattleEd
                ^^^ There are files you can find online or buy. Check out Etsy, you will find the figures made or the files. So much custom stuff on there it's crazy.
                My favorite underground rebel toy maker is Gary Weaver, who should be working for Hasbro on their retro line. He made both the Droids Fett and Holiday Fett properly, for which Hasbro is too lazy to retool the molds to make them more accurate, more so with the chest plate and shoulder pauldrons that reflect the character in the animations. His stuff is art toy level super pricey. Makes just a handfuls and moves on to next project.

Here are some of his creations:

Man he does great work. Love that Snag Trek

Comment

• Klosterheim
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 23, 2013

They looked so cool on twitter.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

this is interesting to me. i mean for so long Lucasfilm basically tried to forget these cartoons were ever even done. they never even got a full release on DVD. i guess the house of mouse sees dollar signs to it, now that the cartoons are on Disney +

Comment

• drquest
                      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                      • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                      this is interesting to me. i mean for so long Lucasfilm basically tried to forget these cartoons were ever even done. they never even got a full release on DVD. i guess the house of mouse sees dollar signs to it, now that the cartoons are on Disney +
                      Nostalgia is big money!

Those underground/custom figures are amazing! I still have my original blue snaggletooth but those custom creations are so cool!
                      Danny(Drquest)
                      Captain Action HQ
                      Retro shirts and stuff
                      More retro shirts
                      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• MegoSteve
                        Superman's Pal
                        • Jun 17, 2005

Those Toy Weaver figures are amazing!

Comment

Working...