X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Being a mod is thankless. You're often the heavy-handed bad guy no matter how hard you try, nobody ever seems to own their own crappy behaviour. I'm a mongrel dictator according to some miserable people.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
      Persistent Member
      • Jun 22, 2011

I definitely would consider people like Marty and Joel "special" guests. After watching several of the Mego live streams on Ambassadors with Joel he seems to have a really good character and seems like a really cool guy. Marty definitely needs no explanation as to why we all love him and would consider him a "special" guest.

Comment

• zeedox
        Career Member
        • Aug 10, 2007

I buy most of all the new stuff and have been enjoying all the great toys.

But if I cant carry on a bit about bad paint applications and lack of playsets here then where?

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
          They can't win. If they weed aggressively, people complain. If they give people a longer leash and multiple warnings, people complain. Been there, done that.
          They lock threads on a daily basis, is it really that hard to allow some discussion, obviously a lot of people aren't happy with the Topps deal. Glad I am not a Trekkie
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by zeedox
            But if I cant carry on a bit about bad paint applications and lack of playsets here then where?
            Mea culpa. There are always going to be things about modern 1/9 that disappoint me, are a burr under my saddle. But that doesn't mean I hate Mego and FTC, want to see them fail, or don't collect to the extent that I'm able.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by palitoy
              Being a mod is thankless. You're often the heavy-handed bad guy no matter how hard you try, nobody ever seems to own their own crappy behaviour. I'm a mongrel dictator according to some miserable people.
              The Muzz is way more tolerant than the bassadors, any thread started about the Topps fiasco gets locked up by Rob Turnip asap. I am sure I'm on the short list there for banning too. Its baffling that its supposed to be a page to promote Mego but its a private forum.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• sprytel
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by zeedox
                I suggest talking to your spouse about it. It makes lovely pillow talk.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                  Creature Of The Night
                  • May 14, 2011

I don't share the all or nothing perspective, but I do understand the disappointment of not being able to get everything I would like to have.

As a life-long fan of Dark Shadows, and a childhood collector of Mego figures, I was absolutely STOKED when I first read about the "upcoming" Dark Shadows figures from Spectre. My interest in Mego styled figures was rekindled and I started collecting figures in this format again, for the first time since the mid-70's.

When I finally got the DS figures in hand, it was an amazing feeling. Then the second wave was promoted at Comic-Con, and I was over the moon. A few years later, when it became absolutely clear that that secondary wave would never see the light of day, I was (of course) disappointed.

I cherish the three figures that were produced, despite the fact that from a cast of dozens of characters, that's all there is. Do I wish there were more? Of course I do. Does the idea that I may never own additional figures from this show, ever, ruin the hobby for me? Absolutely not.

I do, however, understand the passion...trust me:

Comment

• MRP
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Dark Shadow
                    I don't share the all or nothing perspective, but I do understand the disappointment of not being able to get everything I would like to have.
                    I've been dealing with not being able to get everything I would like to have since I was 5 years old. It's how life works. You deal with it. Most of life's disappointments come from unrealistic expectations not being fulfilled (because they never could be, hence unrealistic). Unfortunately unrealistic expectations seem to be the norm not the exception. The one thing I have learned is that happiness and contentment cannot be based on getting everything you want, because that can never happen, it has to come from enjoying what you do have.

I suspect that the majority of people carrying on about these things could get everything they say they want and they would still find things to complain and carry on about. It seems the primary activity of just about every fandom now is complaining about things they say they like, not enjoying or celebrating those things.

But then I am a cynical S.O.B. these days.

-M
                    Last edited by MRP; Sep 24, '21, 7:22 PM.
                    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      The Muzz is way more tolerant than the bassadors, any thread started about the Topps fiasco gets locked up by Rob Turnip asap. I am sure I'm on the short list there for banning too. Its baffling that its supposed to be a page to promote Mego but its a private forum.
                      1) Rob is a member here, so please don't name call. We're better than that. 2) I'm a mod there too and some of the crap that gets lobbed is totally unacceptable. We're 50-year-old people talking about dolls we don't need. I don't understand why it's so miserable, this is supposed to be fun.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by palitoy
                        1) We're 50-year-old people talking about dolls we don't need. I don't understand why it's so miserable, this is supposed to be fun.
                        I’ll repeat this, We’re 50-year-old (or older in some cases) people talking about DOLLS we don’t need.
                        This statement alone should be enough for all of us to just sit back, take a deep breath and let it sink in.

The only legit complaints imho, are the collectors in Canada who are getting screwed over concerning shipping cost, and hopefully the situation can be resolved somehow, since the holidays are just around the corner.

I’m also sure members in Europe UK etc, don’t even want to bother ordering since the shipping rates for them would be laughably ridiculous. Opening a warehouse somewhere in Canada would obviously help, but I’m sure it would be to expensive to do.

after all it’s just a fun hobby for us, we’re lucky just to be discussing and debating this in the first place.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by TrekStar
                          I’ll repeat this, We’re 50-year-old (or older in some cases) people talking about DOLLS we don’t need.
                          This statement alone should be enough for all of us to just sit back, take a deep breath and let it sink in.

The only legit complaints imho, are the collectors in Canada who are getting screwed over concerning shipping cost, and hopefully the situation can be resolved somehow, since the holidays are just around the corner.

I’m also sure members in Europe UK etc, don’t even want to bother ordering since the shipping rates for them would be laughably ridiculous. Opening a warehouse somewhere in Canada would obviously help, but I’m sure it would be to expensive to do.

after all it’s just a fun hobby for us, we’re lucky just to be discussing and debating this in the first place.
                          In the UK they get free shipping if they buy two figures from the UK Topps site.

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 18, 2015

How about a different perspective?

Mego is expecting you to pay $55 (OVER $80 if you're Canadian) a week on toys.

Toys.

If you think that's a reasonable weekly expense to have, then maybe you're the one who's taking this hobby too seriously. I like them, but I don't think toys are important enough to require that kind of capital. Some of us need groceries.
                            The hands that grip.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

it's a hobby. it's supposed to be fun. If you can't afford them, don't buy them, it's very simple. You didn't have these figures before they became/become offered, so you are no better or worse off. People need to seriously relax

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
                                If you think that's a reasonable weekly expense to have, then maybe you're the one who's taking this hobby too seriously. I like them, but I don't think toys are important enough to require that kind of capital. Some of us need groceries.
                                Or maybe I’m in a situation where that’s not a huge expense for me and I’m having fun. I’m not taking anything seriously.
                                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎