X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 18, 2015

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
    Or maybe I’m in a situation where that’s not a huge expense for me and I’m having fun. I’m not taking anything seriously.
    That's fine, but just keep in mind most of us can't afford that.

Toy collecting is a fun hobby, but once companies start making things too expensive and scarce, I can stop. Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.
    The hands that grip.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
      That's fine, but just keep in mind most of us can't afford that.
      That’s none of my concern. I already know everyone’s situation is different. Their reasons for collecting are their own, but attacking because their situations and reasons are different than yours is, at the very least, unfair.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.
        Yes, it seems to me that Mego is potentially alienating part of their customer base over this. If figures were released once or twice a month, with more reasonable shipping options, wouldn't that perhaps garner more sales and be a win-win for collectors and company alike?

I'm curious, what's the urgency/timetable for releases? Some of these prototypes, like Taylor, were crude.
        Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 25, '21, 12:22 PM.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 18, 2015

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
          That’s none of my concern. I already know everyone’s situation is different. Their reasons for collecting are their own, but attacking because their situations and reasons are different than yours is, at the very least, unfair.
          Just because you can afford it doesn't make it a reasonable weekly expense.
          Last edited by TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip; Sep 25, '21, 12:24 PM.
          The hands that grip.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Surely it's better to ask about a company than to decide for someone else how they should spend their discretionary income?
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

By whose standards of reasonable? Yours? Perhaps not. Mine? Maybe so.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                Yes, it seems to me that Mego is alienating part of their customer base over this. If figures were released once or twice a month, with more reasonable shipping options, wouldn't that perhaps garner more sales and be a win-win for collectors and company alike?
                With me it's about the character selection. It's not like we're making these statements out of speculation. Mego and Topps are the ones who have said these figures will never be available anywhere else. OK...fine.
                If I can't get a Star Trek TMP Spock, then there is no way I'm going to buy Kirk, McCoy or anyone else from TMP, whether they're offered in stores, through Topps, or anywhere else. They made Spock in his classic movie uniform. He is critical to the bridge set. He's not Chekov, or Decker, he's SPOCK.

How's that Yvonne Elliman song go..."If I can't have you, I don't want nobody baby..."

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Deleted
                  Last edited by enyawd72; Sep 25, '21, 12:37 PM. Reason: Don't feel like arguing

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by enyawd72
                    As long as you get yours, the hell with everyone else right?
                    Right. (So here’s my edit since I didn’t get to explain myself. I don’t actually feel this way since it’s too harsh. Of course it’s unfortunate that the deal doesn’t work for everyone. However I find it unfair to judge anyone’s situation. I’m not the bad guy because I’m ok with the Topps deal. )
                    Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Sep 25, '21, 1:45 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

I think people are confusing Mego and Topps. Topps is a customer of Mego. Topps is whom we are getting the Topps figures from. Mego is just making figures for their customer, which is Topps. Who can really fault Mego for making figures for a customer? Like they said, if it wasn't for Topps, many of these figures would not E V E R get produced. Mego isn't setting the price. Mego isn't setting the shipping price. These also aren't the first exclusive figures.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

I have zero interest in any of the Topps figures. But I still have empathy for the Canadian collectors that want them. That is a legitimate issue.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

No Lonnie--Topps is a vendor of Mego, a selling partner and distributor. We are customers of Topps, and through them, Mego. The customer is the buyer and potential buyer--"us".

Are we ascribing "fault"? If so, it is to Topps and Mego alike. Regardless, Mego has volition in this arrangement and can potentially suggest changes to suit its customer base.

Of course it's their deal, we can buy or not buy. Of course there will always be speculation, admiration, frustration. But some legitimate/valid questions are being asked by customers and that's not, in and of itself, wrong.
                          Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 25, '21, 2:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                            Banned
                            • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                            I think people are confusing Mego and Topps. Topps is a customer of Mego. Topps is whom we are getting the Topps figures from. Mego is just making figures for their customer, which is Topps. Who can really fault Mego for making figures for a customer? Like they said, if it wasn't for Topps, many of these figures would not E V E R get produced. Mego isn't setting the price. Mego isn't setting the shipping price. These also aren't the first exclusive figures.
                            You really don't understand the difference between Distributor and Customer Lonnie. You should look up the differences between them. Topps is a DISTRIBUTOR of Mego figures just like Diamond was a DISTRIBUTOR of EMCE Figures which really baffles my mind because I know how much Doc HATED that deal. One last thing is this : If these Topps figures are creating low sales, like the defenders of the deal are claiming they are, why even bother making figures if you are just going to sell 1000 - 2000 figures??!!?? You should be embarrassed that you can ONLY sell that many figures and literally pack your figures and go home in my opinion. The sad part is that Toy companies are trying to do what Marvel tried to do starting early 2000's : Make their product collectable by making LESS of their product. It's pitiful and pathetic that a company would stoop to that level. The thing that saved the comic book companies is that they can split a run of a measly 100,000 print run into variant after variant after variant and the people that collect those variants will just eat it up until they realize they will NEVER get their money back out of what they spent on said variant. With toys it's nothing but a losing proposition. Nobody will care when the figures are limited to pre-orders that last a week and then poof you can't them anymore and then they really won't care after the fact because scalpers have bought up 75% of the 1000 - 2000 piece run and are charging 3 times what they paid for them.

Again, I really want to hear from guys like Frank Wojo and Zolo and a few others that sell Mego figures and are a lot of the go to guys that people keep talking about : How do you feel about the Topps deal? How will it hurt your sales? How does it feel that you can't even offer these to your customers? I doubt they will speak up for fear of rocking the boat...but they sure as hell can't be happy about this situation. I know if it was me I'd be ticked off.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                              Radioactive!
                              • Feb 13, 2010

We are not entitled to ONE DAMN THING from either Topps or Mego and I am sick and tired of all the complaints from whiny, entitled "fans". I hope Topps puts out two Megos a week for years to come whether I get them or not. I can't buy every Topps figure either but I'm happy they're available and I'm happy for those who can.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                                Persistent Member
                                • Sep 27, 2010

Totally agree KyptOnite.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡