Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huzzah!! Strongheart, Warduke, Kelek, etc return to Dungeons and Dragons.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Huzzah!! Strongheart, Warduke, Kelek, etc return to Dungeons and Dragons.

Anyone else pick up the new Dungeons and Dragons game book The Wild Beyond the Witchlight?

The big draw to me is it finally officially returns 80s D&D characters Strongheart, Elkhorn, Mercion, Ringlerun, Molliver, Warduke, Kelek, Skylla, Zarak and Zargash back to the realms of D&D. I've been skimming through it today. Mostly the new character factions which include the 80s characters.

I really like the updated artwork and bios except for a couple of things. Skylla now is known to use the alias Charmay, which is an entirely different character. Charmay is a good illusionist heavily featured in the D&D storybook The Treasure of Time and the D&D coloring book the Crown of Rulership. In the the 80s D&D module the Quest for the Heartstone they did incorrectly use a Charmay illustration with Skylla's bio. So I do get the Easter egg the author was going for. But I'm still not crazy this basically removes Charmay as a separate Character.

I'm also not too keen that Warduke is described as "He isn't terribly bright." It does fit his original intelligence score of 9 but it does make him a bit less threatening.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Sep 21, '21, 8:41 PM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Klosterheim
    Persistent Member
    • Mar 23, 2013

That's really cool to have those characters back.

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

I hadn't heard about this. That's exciting news!

Originally posted by Werewolf
      I'm also not too keen that Warduke is described as "He isn't terribly bright." It does fit his original intelligence score of 9 but it does make him a bit less threatening.
      You clearly haven't hung out with enough stupid people.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

It is pretty exciting!

Except for Warduke who had been previously retconned into the Greyhawk setting, this is the first time since the 80s these characters have been seen in D&D. There's also two sets of pre-painted minis featuring the characters coming out in October. The League of Malevolence and Valor's Call.

Now bring on the action figures!
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

I haven't picked it up yet, but I will next time I am at my lcs. I've been looking forward to it for a while, but I've been tying to support the local brick and mortar stores rather than Amazon when buying game books and such recently, so it will have to wait until I get to a shop that has it in stock.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

I read up more on the module. Even beyond the return of the classic characters, it sounds pretty darn nifty.

If anyone is planning on running it on Roll20 and you are looking for players, let me know.

Comment

• tmthor
              God of Knock-offs
              • Nov 29, 2005

They have a Warduke POP that is coming out exclusive to Gamestop I believe

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

Warduke!

Comment

• Klosterheim
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 23, 2013

The Warduke figure is kind of cool.

When I had the original figure, I used to wonder about his choice of armor.

I would like a company to re-make Fortress of Fangs.

Classic version of the Umber Hulk to go with it.

Asking a lot, but when it comes to this toy line, it gets much love, and will always want more.

It was special, had to go to a further away mall for the goods.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎