Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apenutncc1701
    • Aug 9, 2009

Comparisons between Mego, Diamond Select and nuMego

I am curious what your opinions are when comparing the 8 inch Star Trek figures made by Mego, Diamond Select and nuMego. Differences in quality, clothes and accessories, etc. I have the original Mego crew plus the Klingon and Gorn, the Diamond Select Sulu and Chekov, and many of the nuMegos. I have been thinking about trying to collect the rest of the Diamond Select figures, but wanted to hear from others first. Thanks for your input.
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

There is no nuMego.

Comment

• Liu Bei
      Banned
      • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by apenutncc1701
      I am curious what your opinions are when comparing the 8 inch Star Trek figures made by Mego, Diamond Select and nuMego. Differences in quality, clothes and accessories, etc. I have the original Mego crew plus the Klingon and Gorn, the Diamond Select Sulu and Chekov, and many of the nuMegos. I have been thinking about trying to collect the rest of the Diamond Select figures, but wanted to hear from others first. Thanks for your input.
      The Mego re-releases are better than the Diamond Select Retro Cloth figures, in terms of quality. The original Mego releases from back in the day have the highest quality of the three, especially the soft goods.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
        There is no nuMego.
        Well there is, just not a preference to call it that.

Regarding Diamond Trek vs Mego Corp Trek releases, there are some differences in detailing, fabric choices, and fasteners. Where all or some are "improvements" may be a matter of taste. The command color is more accurate (amber vs Diamond's yellow) on the Chekov and Sulu re-releases. The new Mego bodies are rigged better IMO. The Diamond Kirk heads are better than the Mego Corp. head in paint detailing. The Mego Corp Romulan bodysuit has a much nicer silver weave than the Diamond one, but the belt is loose pleather instead of velveteen and the figure itself is much paler. The Mego Corp. Gorn, in olive, to me is preferable to the green Diamond one.

Not much beats vintage IMO, and the closer new releases are to the originals, the more I usually like them.
        Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 19, '21, 5:13 PM.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Liu Bei
          Banned
          • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          Well there is, just not a preference to call it that.

Regarding Diamond Trek vs Mego Corp Trek releases, there are some differences in detailing, fabric choices, and fasteners. Where all or some are "improvements" may be a matter of taste. The command color is more accurate (amber vs Diamond's yellow) on the Chekov and Sulu re-releases. The new Mego bodies are rigged better IMO. The Diamond Kirk heads are better than the Mego Corp. head in paint detailing. The Mego Corp Romulan bodysuit has a much nicer silver weave than the Diamond one, but the belt is loose pleather instead of velveteen and the figure itself is much paler. The Mego Corp. Gorn, in olive, to me is preferable to the green Diamond one.

Not much beats vintage IMO, and the closer new releases are to the originals, the more I usually like them.
          Yeah, the coloring on the Mego Gorn is miles better. Not sure what happened to the Kirk head on the new Mego Kirk, but that new sculpt coming out will rectify all.

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

Mego > DST > nuMego

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Of the three choices for me personally it’s original Mego. It’s crazy to choose something that was made almost 50 years ago compared to a very similar item made within the last 3 years. But I also enjoy the type S bandless bodies too, Diamond Select bodies to me seem thicker with tighter bands.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎