X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Denys Fisher Cyborg

This week Toy-Ventures looks at Cyborg, a UK action figure line licensed to Denys Fisher by way of Japan. While it isn’t talked about enough, Cyborg was a spin-off of Hasbro’s GI Joe and eventually gave birth to such incredible toy icons as the Micronauts and Transformers. It’s a really interesting and beautiful line of […]
    The post Toy-Ventures: Denys Fisher Cyborg appeared first on PS.

More...
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

I did not know that history of Cyborg. Mind blown! Very great insight. Now I feel tempted to seek out some of those characters.
    Thanks again, Brian. Great as always.
    And the new issue of Toy Ventures is chock full of great information and new insights for me.
    Rack Toys is a major fun read and on my nightstand. Great book to peruse before bed.

Keep up the great work!

Comment

• drquest
      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
      • Apr 17, 2012

Great feature!

I have a few of these and they are quite cool!
      Danny(Drquest)
      Captain Action HQ
      Retro shirts and stuff
      More retro shirts
      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

What a wonderful line. I have some cherished 12" Henshin items, but I think I might actually prefer these shonen releases.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          What a wonderful line. I have some cherished 12" Henshin items, but I think I might actually prefer these shonen releases.
          Oddly the figures are different than the Takara Shonen figures. Until I had some in my hand I just assumed they were the same.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

That's interesting--I'm surprised at new tooling. The saucer is amazing, I want one lol. Is it unique?
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• drquest
              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
              • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              That's interesting--I'm surprised at new tooling. The saucer is amazing, I want one lol. Is it unique?
              I want a saucer as well, a few years ago they were easier to find, but I just never pulled the trigger. No expert on it, but I always assumed it was a repurposed Takara vehicle.
              Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Retro shirts and stuff
              More retro shirts
              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• SeattleEd
                SynthoRes Transmigrator
                • Oct 24, 2007

Put me dow for a saucer as well. Maybe a trip to the UK might yield a score but that might be years away. BC trips could be around the corner but just need to find toy shows and collectible shops.

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

Team Muton! Both Takara and DF lines are pure toy amphetamines!

I keep adding one every now and then, but would love to have the space/cash to go all into Cyborgs. Even the contemporary Secret Base stuff is awesome.

Comment

• tatsunokofan
                    • Dec 5, 2019

A nice video, but I do have a minor quibble. Takara didn't release Combat Joe until the 1980s, long after Henshin Cyborg had left the marketplace. In 1966, G.I. Joe began being distributed in Japan through Sanyei, mostly releasing the same sets and packaging that were released in North America (With a few modifications here and there). In 1969, Takara took over this distribution, and in 1970s, when Joe in America transitioned to the Adventure Team, Takara kept the military theme and modified the figure a bit, gave him a new head and hands, and rebranded it a New G.I. Joe.

New G.I. Joe lasted two years, when it got supplanted by Allies of Justice, which were essentially New G.I. Joe figures dressed in hero costumes from various live action superhero shows. Allies of Justice figures included several Ultraman characters and their human counterparts, Mirrorman, Silver Mask, Ninja Arashi, and Moonlight Mask. Allies of Justice lasted less than a year (With releases between October of 1971 and May of 1972, by best accounts) before it was replaced by the July, 1972 launch of Henshin Cyborg (Whose initial releases included mostly redesigned versions of same characters featured in the the Allies of Justice line).

So, Henshin Cyborg did not follow Combat Joe, he followed New G.I. Joe, with Allies of Justice acting as a transitional line in-between.

And, if you want to see all of the Allies of Justice figures, and all of the Henshin Cyborg costume sets, here's a great Japanese site that shows photos of all of them:

http://www.nanamiya-aidma.jp/collection-1-1-1.htm#01

And, just to confirm, the spaceship and the chair did indeed come from another Takara toy line, the Invader series. Cyborg's weapons sets were all originally weapons made for Shonen Cyborg, Henshin Cyborg's kid sidekick.

James

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 24, 2020

I heard of these for a long time but the video you made makeds them epic i need boxed version now I bet they are $$$$

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

Great video. Love to just talk about stuff like this. The imagination wanders.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

I had no idea these were 8" figures! I always assumed every version was 12". Great video!

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
                            Museum Correspondent
                            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                            I had no idea these were 8" figures! I always assumed every version was 12". Great video!

Chris
                            same here.

I learned a lot from this video! I've heard/seen references to Cyborg, Henshin Cyborg and Shonen Cyborg but I never knew their differentiation. I just thought they were the Micronauts' parents.

Watching the ad for the Cyborg ship, I was half-expecting to hear the kids speak with a Long Island accent
                            Last edited by Wee67; Sep 22, '21, 9:30 AM.
                            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎