X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Favourite Issue of Marvel Star Wars?

Star Wars Issue #38 was one of my favourite comics Marvel ever did, I treasured it, kept it mint sealed when I was ten. I was thinking about this comic the other day and tried to figure out why. It's just a filler story.
    I think the first thing is the Michael Golden art. I was a big fan of the Micronauts comics and love his style here. I always felt that Carmine Infantino was not putting his heart into the book, so Golden's take was so refreshing.
    But the other, more important thing is, this is the last Star Wars comic, after this, came Empire Strikes back and it would expand the Universe and change it forever.
    This little story is the last adventure of farmboy Luke and white gown Leia. The mythos would change, the whole "wild west" era would be no more.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Empire or anything, it's great but that era in between Star Wars and Empire had a certain magic to it. An uncertainness about it and this single issue encapsulate that for me perfectly.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

I was a huge fan of the series. So many great issues to choose from but I gotta go with this.
    c47ba92e7f1727a0ce57b2f16077feb9.jpg

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

There were so, so many great stories during the original Marvel run.

Just a few of my favourites would be:

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

The Al Williamson drawn adaptation of Empire remains my favorite Marvel Star Wars comics. It's the only time I ever managed to get consecutive issues of the racks as it came out when I was a kid, but I did get a few of the polybag three packs they used to sell, including this one, which debuted by favorite obscure MArvel Star Wars character...Jaxxon

when I went back and read the run later, my favorite stuff was done by the Simonson/Palmer art team form around this period...

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Mr.Marion
          Permanent Member
          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by MRP
          The Al Williamson drawn adaptation of Empire remains my favorite Marvel Star Wars comics. It's the only time I ever managed to get consecutive issues of the racks as it came out when I was a kid, but I did get a few of the polybag three packs they used to sell, including this one, which debuted by favorite obscure MArvel Star Wars character...Jaxxon

Yeah the first original story run was a magnificent seven in space tale. Jaxxon was punchline among serious fans but people remember him and he recently got a black series figure.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

The whole Shira Brie/Lumiya story arc was great.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

First issue after Empire...loved it since I was a kid!

Comment

• powersthatbe
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 27, 2010

Star Wars issue 50. It was drawn by Al Williamson so It felt like a cinematic adaptation. I also really liked the Jo Duffy Ron Frenz run.
                Last edited by powersthatbe; Sep 19, '21, 7:02 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by powersthatbe
                  Star Wars issue 50. It was drawn by Al Williamson so It felt like a cinematic adaption. I also really liked the Jo Duffy Ron Frenz run.
                  Yes, that was a tremendous issue.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

i'd honestly have to go back and look at them to pick a favorite. i will say those early issues, before Empire hit, really bring back childhood memories. you know, just that feeling of being a kid in the late seventies and hungry for anything Star Wars

Comment

• Makernaut
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by palitoy
                      [IMG]
                      But the other, more important thing is, this is the last Star Wars comic, after this, came Empire Strikes back and it would expand the Universe and change it forever.
                      This little story is the last adventure of farmboy Luke and white gown Leia. The mythos would change, the whole "wild west" era would be no more.
                      Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Empire or anything, it's great but that era in between Star Wars and Empire had a certain magic to it. An uncertainness about it and this single issue encapsulate that for me perfectly.
                      The period between Star Wars and Empire was a pretty special time and I always felt lucky to have been the right age for it. As far as playing with the toys and thinking about Star Wars adventures, it was pretty awesome to not feel tied to any kind of expectations and a kid could make it all up as they went. I fully remember the time when there was still a little mystery to all of it and my friends and I could be as wild as we wanted with our Star Wars playtime scenarios.

When "The Mandalorian" came out, I told my friends that the stories reminded me of the time between 1977 and 1980 when stories could be a little more free and a lot more imaginative like in the comic book or how we played with the toys back then. Being the same age as me, they knew exactly what I meant.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Makernaut
                        The period between Star Wars and Empire was a pretty special time and I always felt lucky to have been the right age for it. As far as playing with the toys and thinking about Star Wars adventures, it was pretty awesome to not feel tied to any kind of expectations and a kid could make it all up as they went. I fully remember the time when there was still a little mystery to all of it and my friends and I could be as wild as we wanted with our Star Wars playtime scenarios.

When "The Mandalorian" came out, I told my friends that the stories reminded me of the time between 1977 and 1980 when stories could be a little more free and a lot more imaginative like in the comic book or how we played with the toys back then. Being the same age as me, they knew exactly what I meant.
                        Funny you say that...because when I watched The Mandalorian, I kept thinking how much it reminded me of Marvel Star Wars.

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
                          Funny you say that...because when I watched The Mandalorian, I kept thinking how much it reminded me of Marvel Star Wars.
                          Oh yeah, it's absolutely why I like it.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎