X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megoapesnut
    The name says it all!
    • Dec 3, 2007

Salem's Lot Remake

I hope they do a better job with this than they did with the remake of The Stand. My god that was brutal. I couldn't even finish it.

Salem's Lot
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

well the screen play is being written by the same guy who did IT 1&2 so that gives me hope. You're correct about the Stand remake, it was awful. the first remake of Salems Lot wasn't all that great either, with Rob Lowe and Rutger Hauer.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 12, 2016

They did a remake or updated version awhile back with Rutger Hauer I thought....but either way, no remake will compare to the original...imo of course...lol....
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• VintageJoe70
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 12, 2016

Oops I just saw Nostalgiabuff's post...

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

The original Salem's Lot was such a classic, I can't see a remake really bringing anything to the table except excessive gore and a overabundance of zombie style vampires. I think thematically Salems Lot played on a grander scale to our generation that had never seen a town run amok with vampires, (initially thought to be a mysterious illness). There was a slow burn to the reveal that made it exceptionally creepy. But again that was something that played as a new idea to our generation.

Todays audience have watched an entire planet overrun with zombies. So having to sit through that buildup to reveal vampires might be viewed as anticlimactic by todays expectations. And when they get to the vampires, I suspect they will be morphed into something resembling more of what the kids are looking for than what we had. So I'm not sure this story, stylistically speaking, is a good fit for a retelling. We're in different times now.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 12, 2016

Exactly...some of the horror movies from the 60s and 70s and the UK released stuff is scarier to me than most of the horror flicks today...

Comment

• drquest
              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
              • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by MIB41
              The original Salem's Lot was such a classic, I can't see a remake really bringing anything to the table except excessive gore and a overabundance of zombie style vampires. I think thematically Salems Lot played on a grander scale to our generation that had never seen a town run amok with vampires, (initially thought to be a mysterious illness). There was a slow burn to the reveal that made it exceptionally creepy. But again that was something that played as a new idea to our generation.

Todays audience have watched an entire planet overrun with zombies. So having to sit through that buildup to reveal vampires might be viewed as anticlimactic by todays expectations. And when they get to the vampires, I suspect they will be morphed into something resembling more of what the kids are looking for than what we had. So I'm not sure this story, stylistically speaking, is a good fit for a retelling. We're in different times now.
              I love the original Salem's Lot and it really brings a creepiness and tension that is terribly missed in today's "scary movie" landscape.
              Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Retro shirts and stuff
              More retro shirts
              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Klosterheim
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 23, 2013

Ya, the original Salem's Lot is really good.

I'm not sure how a new re-make can improve it.

A new one will just make me miss the style and camera work of the times.

Comment

• drquest
                  ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                  • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Klosterheim
                  Ya, the original Salem's Lot is really good.

I'm not sure how a new re-make can improve it.

A new one will just make me miss the style and camera work of the times.
                  And no David Soul :(

Although maybe they could get him for the movie, as he's still around.
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Retro shirts and stuff
                  More retro shirts
                  Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

the original Salems Lot is a movie that i remember sneaking into the living room and hiding behind my dads chair to watch, when i was supposed to be in bed. that movie scared the living **** out of me and Barlow gave me nightmares for days

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

what would be smart though, is if they finally started connecting the King universe. They can introduce Father Callahan here, and then he can show up again the Dark Tower series, if they ever get that off the ground

Comment

• drquest
                        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                        what would be smart though, is if they finally started connecting the King universe. They can introduce Father Callahan here, and then he can show up again the Dark Tower series, if they ever get that off the ground
                        I would be onboard with this for sure.
                        Danny(Drquest)
                        Captain Action HQ
                        Retro shirts and stuff
                        More retro shirts
                        Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎