Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, thanks to the Topps partnership, I'm officially out.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • puckace
    Museum Super Collector
    • Feb 5, 2009

Can anyone confirm whether or not these are still up for order 4 at a time for a few minutes. I was hoping to grab Green Arrow along with the new offerings this morning but did not see them up at the same time. I was at work so I may have just missed it. Or has TOPPS taken away that brief transition from one week of 2 figures to the next weeks offerings. Thanks for any info ahead of time.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

They did overlap this morning and you could have gotten all four. It's just harder to find the previous two when the new ones are offered. It's best to bookmark them or leave them in open tabs or put them in your cart and leave them there until the new ones are offered.

Comment

• jacoblb
        Persistent Member
        • May 7, 2009

I missed the Star Trek DS9 offerings. Will anyone be selling extras on MM Marketplace or FB?

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
          Career Member
          • Jul 23, 2019

Topps has Canadian Mego collectors over a barrel. I hate this arrangement because I really wanted to get some of these figures.
          "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

it will be interesting to see how they sell on ebay, once they are actually released. i think people buying them now on ebay are crazy. figures haven't even gone into production yet and people are buying at ridiculously inflated prices already. by the time these actually hit those buyers are beyond their 30 day window with paypal

Comment

• wise guy
              Career Member
              • Dec 29, 2014

I Like the Monday annoucements , and the figures, but must be getting 10 or more emails a day for stuff I don't care about, and even more unwanted emails on spam. This email abuse is making me rethink this whole thing.At least email me about future Megos
              because I don't care for sports cards or any of their other junk

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                Banned
                • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
                Sorry if this comes off as a rant, because it isn't meant to, but I really have to vent my disappointment at the Topps partnership, and how
                the exclusivity of it has already ruined it for me in less than a month.

Hear me out...

I've collected a majority of the new MEGO figures, primarily the Universal and Hammer monsters, Star Trek, modern horror, and DC, with some one-offs like Rocketeer and Willy Wonka.
                I currently own around 60 figures, and the plan was to get started on the Apes and Ultraman series.

I was eagerly awaiting picking up Cornelius, Zaius, Caesar, and Ursus, but with the announcement of Taylor and Zira being Topps exclusives, now I'm not going to bother.
                Why? It's pretty simple. Though I try to keep up with stuff as it comes out, life happens, so it's not always possible.

This past couple weeks my car's engine caught fire, my wife's car needed repairs, and we had to fix our central air, which cost us a total of almost $3,000. Because of this I had to skip the Topps DC and Trek figures.
                In the past, this would never be an issue, because if I had to skip picking up any new Megos, I always knew I could still get them several months later for pretty much the same price as new.

That has now all gone out the window. Resellers are already taking advantage of the exclusivity of the Topps partnership and selling the figures for ridiculous prices on eBay. As much as $69 each.
                I can't afford to keep up with that, so as a result, I'll be buying a lot less than previously. I like complete sets of characters, and if I can't grab the main characters from certain lines, I'm not interested in picking up the rest.
                I could have probably skipped Black Adam, but Shazam was a must, as was TMP Spock. Same with Taylor. These are key characters that should never have been offered as limited exclusives IMO.

I firmly believe doing so will eventually kill interest in collecting certain lines as people are unable to complete them.
                Going forward I'll only be collecting the Universal and Hammer monsters, because I just can't keep up.
                That means I'll likely sell off 60-70% of what I've already bought.
                So much for "collect them all"...it was fun while it lasted.
                PREACH! I've been saying this since the Pulse deal. You want to KILL any toyline, do exclusives. One other thing that should be mentioned is this : If I was a seller like Frank Wojo or any of the other "Big Time" Mego sellers that are basically doing ALL OF THE LEGWORK for Mego...I'd be SUPER ****ED. Mego is basically cutting their noses off to spite their face. These sellers have been getting figures into people hands, because Megos Marketing is THAT BAD, and they basically got the FU from Mego because they can't even offer these figures to their customers. I'd say they should get together a union...but we know how much Marty doesn't care for unions. If you don't know that story just google Brentwood Warehouse Lawsuit Mego and see what comes up 6th article down from the top.

It's sad to see how much potential they have yet they can't do Market Research, or don't want to do Market Research, with all the new TV series based on Indy Comic Book Characters etc. Forget about Marvel and DC...but that is for another discussion.

Comment

• Gabriel
                  • Aug 23, 2019

Well, I'm late to the party. I just learned about this Topps exclusivity. I learned about Worf and was going to order. Then I learned about the Kor and TMP Spock I missed. I am disappointed and frustrated right now. I'm somewhat considering if I even want to bother with Mego Trek figures going forward. I was going to go ahead and order Worf, but now I'm thinking of just skipping it, cancelling my orders at BBTS that haven't come in yet, and just calling my Mego Trek set complete. It just doesn't seem worth it to have to mess around with this Topps store which I'd otherwise have absolutely no reason to ever shop at beyond arbitrary Mego exclusives.

Time for some reflection on my part and what goals I have for my Mego Trek figures going forward. I already have the core TOS crew, and was only lukewarm on getting the TNG crew anyway. I have my TWOK Kirk, Spock, and Khan like I always wanted. I've now missed one of my key absolute MUST HAVE figures in Kor. If this is the business route the company wants to go with, then I need to ask myself if I have any real desire to continue.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

I love all the negativity. Such a good time to be a Mego collector...

Comment

• Liu Bei
                      Banned
                      • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Gabriel
                      Well, I'm late to the party. I just learned about this Topps exclusivity. I learned about Worf and was going to order. Then I learned about the Kor and TMP Spock I missed. I am disappointed and frustrated right now. I'm somewhat considering if I even want to bother with Mego Trek figures going forward. I was going to go ahead and order Worf, but now I'm thinking of just skipping it, cancelling my orders at BBTS that haven't come in yet, and just calling my Mego Trek set complete. It just doesn't seem worth it to have to mess around with this Topps store which I'd otherwise have absolutely no reason to ever shop at beyond arbitrary Mego exclusives.

Time for some reflection on my part and what goals I have for my Mego Trek figures going forward. I already have the core TOS crew, and was only lukewarm on getting the TNG crew anyway. I have my TWOK Kirk, Spock, and Khan like I always wanted. I've now missed one of my key absolute MUST HAVE figures in Kor. If this is the business route the company wants to go with, then I need to ask myself if I have any real desire to continue.
                      Guys, most if not all of these figures will make their way to retail. They may not be exactly the same as what you’re seeing now (Taylor, for example, will almost certainly go to mass retail in his astronaut suit), but they will make it.

Mego isn’t going to spend the amount of money it takes on sculpting and molds just to sell 1,000 figures on Topps’ website.

The biggest problem with collectors is this “got to get them all and got to get them now” mentality. Be patient. I promise these things will hit retail, even if it’s just different packaging.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                        Persistent Member
                        • Apr 18, 2006

Guys, most if not all of these figures will make their way to retail. They may not be exactly the same as what you’re seeing now (Taylor, for example, will almost certainly go to mass retail in his astronaut suit), but they will make it.

Mego isn’t going to spend the amount of money it takes on sculpting and molds just to sell 1,000 figures on Topps’ website.
                        I believe this also, there are a lot of details that Mego, or any company really, cannot reveal about future plans. I think the people at Mego have a good idea of what we as consumers want and do listen to our feedback, but can't always spill the beans even if they have a plan to satisfy our concerns.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                          Banned
                          • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by Liu Bei

The biggest problem with collectors is this “got to get them all and got to get them now” mentality. Be patient. I promise these things will hit retail, even if it’s just different packaging.
                          So Mego ticks off 10,000 collectors or more (Sorry Canada) to make those 1000 Topps collectors happy??!!?? Does that make sense??!!?? It sure as hell isn't a way to do business and KEEP that business. And on the point that you will see these down the road but slightly different...Then it isn't the same figure that was offered to Topps now is it. Seems to me this is preying on the "Collectors Mentality" and taking in 2 times what the figure would normally be at retail. If everyone is fine with that then all the power to you. I know I don't have a tree that rains cash every Monday. Even Marvel Legends pace themselves better than Mego has and they have WAYYYYYY more characters that they can do then Mego does. But this has been the problem from the get go. Again, for another topic altogether.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

I doubt there’s 10,000 collectors.
                            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                              Banned
                              • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                              So Mego ticks off 10,000 collectors or more (Sorry Canada) to make those 1000 Topps collectors happy??!!?? Does that make sense??!!?? It sure as hell isn't a way to do business and KEEP that business. And on the point that you will see these down the road but slightly different...Then it isn't the same figure that was offered to Topps now is it.
                              No, it isn’t. But if collectors get upset because a phaser was a different color, or the packaging had a slight variant, well, then quite frankly the fault lies with the collector, not the manufacturer.

I have a problem with exclusives if it’s a situation where the figure is never offered to the general consumer. If they want to do a limited run, and then release a similar figure to mass market with different accessories, packaging, or color scheme, I’m more than fine with that.

I think the shipping issue is a legit grievance. But the argument there should never be exclusives ever under any circumstance I can’t agree with completely. But, as I said, these figures will be available to the public, so it’s a moot point.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                                Banned
                                • Jun 23, 2001

This will be the last I will post about this. I think this video is well done and it isn't whining at all. This is just a really frustrated passionate collector that Mego has just basically alienated and LOST AS A CUSTOMER. Don't know if he is a member here on the forum...but I have to congratulate him on how well he conducted himself in the video and how he basically laid it out there for Mego to see that it's not going to be just him that has basically said "See Ya" You tick people off like these exclusive deals have done this will be what makes the whole thing implode. And right now there is no way of fixing it with out screwing someone : The collector that thought they were getting a figure that was super limited or the passionate collector that will give up completely because they won't be able to get the figure without paying scalper prices. Only way to do it is what Playmates eventually did with boxes that were numbered and then the excess figures of the same figures with no numbering that ended up in "Dump Bins" for $5 each. Watch the video, it's only 15 Minutes long:

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎