Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, thanks to the Topps partnership, I'm officially out.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Well, thanks to the Topps partnership, I'm officially out.

Sorry if this comes off as a rant, because it isn't meant to, but I really have to vent my disappointment at the Topps partnership, and how
    the exclusivity of it has already ruined it for me in less than a month.

Hear me out...

I've collected a majority of the new MEGO figures, primarily the Universal and Hammer monsters, Star Trek, modern horror, and DC, with some one-offs like Rocketeer and Willy Wonka.
    I currently own around 60 figures, and the plan was to get started on the Apes and Ultraman series.

I was eagerly awaiting picking up Cornelius, Zaius, Caesar, and Ursus, but with the announcement of Taylor and Zira being Topps exclusives, now I'm not going to bother.
    Why? It's pretty simple. Though I try to keep up with stuff as it comes out, life happens, so it's not always possible.

This past couple weeks my car's engine caught fire, my wife's car needed repairs, and we had to fix our central air, which cost us a total of almost $3,000. Because of this I had to skip the Topps DC and Trek figures.
    In the past, this would never be an issue, because if I had to skip picking up any new Megos, I always knew I could still get them several months later for pretty much the same price as new.

That has now all gone out the window. Resellers are already taking advantage of the exclusivity of the Topps partnership and selling the figures for ridiculous prices on eBay. As much as $69 each.
    I can't afford to keep up with that, so as a result, I'll be buying a lot less than previously. I like complete sets of characters, and if I can't grab the main characters from certain lines, I'm not interested in picking up the rest.
    I could have probably skipped Black Adam, but Shazam was a must, as was TMP Spock. Same with Taylor. These are key characters that should never have been offered as limited exclusives IMO.

I firmly believe doing so will eventually kill interest in collecting certain lines as people are unable to complete them.
    Going forward I'll only be collecting the Universal and Hammer monsters, because I just can't keep up.
    That means I'll likely sell off 60-70% of what I've already bought.
    So much for "collect them all"...it was fun while it lasted.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I understand what you're saying, I've abandoned the idea of buying all this stuff from the get-go. It's almost overwhelming.

For the last two weeks, there have been characters that I more or less needed to grab but I can't do this forever either.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

I was pumped for the GI Joe deal, then realized I couldn't order them myself. Luckily a friend down south helped me.

I was again pumped for the Topps deal, but the shipping to Canada made it a deal breaker. Again a friend down south came to my rescue.

I refuse to take advantage of the kindness of my American friends every time I want a figure. I've brought forward my concerns with shipping and thus far appear to be misunderstood (that Toronto and the country of Canada are all within a 20 minute drive of each other). I'm rooting for a resolution and have been looking on my own as well.

So Hasbro Pulse and Topps figs I won't be buying - not my choice. By no means does this mean the regular waves will be impacted. I've been a mego guy all my life and that's not gonna change. And I just can't be upset when we see so many amazing mego's being created in 2021.....something I dreamed about for decades.
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Megotastrophe
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 29, 2018

Remembering back to 2000 and repurchasing my first Mego figures...mostly parts that I would reassemble with some Doc Mego pieces. I would not have thought that 20 years later people would complain of too many new Mego style figures being made and sold and how difficult the procuring and shipping would be.

Comment

• Liu Bei
          Banned
          • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by enyawd72
          Sorry if this comes off as a rant, because it isn't meant to, but I really have to vent my disappointment at the Topps partnership, and how
          the exclusivity of it has already ruined it for me in less than a month.

Hear me out...

I've collected a majority of the new MEGO figures, primarily the Universal and Hammer monsters, Star Trek, modern horror, and DC, with some one-offs like Rocketeer and Willy Wonka.
          I currently own around 60 figures, and the plan was to get started on the Apes and Ultraman series.

I was eagerly awaiting picking up Cornelius, Zaius, Caesar, and Ursus, but with the announcement of Taylor and Zira being Topps exclusives, now I'm not going to bother.
          Why? It's pretty simple. Though I try to keep up with stuff as it comes out, life happens, so it's not always possible.

This past couple weeks my car's engine caught fire, my wife's car needed repairs, and we had to fix our central air, which cost us a total of almost $3,000. Because of this I had to skip the Topps DC and Trek figures.
          In the past, this would never be an issue, because if I had to skip picking up any new Megos, I always knew I could still get them several months later for pretty much the same price as new.

That has now all gone out the window. Resellers are already taking advantage of the exclusivity of the Topps partnership and selling the figures for ridiculous prices on eBay. As much as $69 each.
          I can't afford to keep up with that, so as a result, I'll be buying a lot less than previously. I like complete sets of characters, and if I can't grab the main characters from certain lines, I'm not interested in picking up the rest.
          I could have probably skipped Black Adam, but Shazam was a must, as was TMP Spock. Same with Taylor. These are key characters that should never have been offered as limited exclusives IMO.

I firmly believe doing so will eventually kill interest in collecting certain lines as people are unable to complete them.
          Going forward I'll only be collecting the Universal and Hammer monsters, because I just can't keep up.
          That means I'll likely sell off 60-70% of what I've already bought.
          So much for "collect them all"...it was fun while it lasted.
          Sorry to hear about the heartache our non-American collectors are feeling right now.

All I’d say is give it some time, guys. This is a new partnership. If Topps sees the demand is there, and that money can be made, I’m sure they‘ll come up with more favorable shipping options.

Additionally, I believe most, if not all, of these figures will hit retail in some form or fashion, either with different accessories, costumes, colors, etc…

Don’t give up, just be patient, collect what you want when you can, and let things play out. At the end of the day, these are truly first world problems.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I get it, and I appreciate that you stated your stance in a non-inflammatory way. I wish everyone could express themselves with such class.

Mego is producing so much product I simply can't keep up with everything. I can't afford to. It's why I have (for now) passed on more 14" figures, and most of the Star Trek offerings, although I love Star Trek. I plan on getting a Kang if I see one, but I am keeping my Mego orders (through Frank WoJo) to mostly DC Super Heroes and Universal and Hammer Monsters. I did go in for Shazam and Black Adam, but I passed on Spock and Kor. It was hard to do, but again, I just can't afford everything. Not much of a POTA guy, so yesterday's offerings weren't for me. Glad to see them being made for the fans...although I know some resent the exclusivity.

I think "Collect Them All", a phrase Mego used on the back of packaging in the 70s, is almost impossible for any collector line, nowadays. Shrinking retail space, exclusive deals, expensive prices, shoddy distribution, the pandemic, and limited availability have made it almost impossible for a collector to own everything from any given line, be it Mego, or Mezco One:12, or NECA, or Hasbro's Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black Series, GI Joe: Classified, etc.

For some it's all or nothing, and I can respect that. Myself, I'm content (for now) in getting what I feel is feasible at the moment, and just not worrying about it if I don't get it when it is first released. I'm not going to pay after market prices for anything, personally.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

^Thanks Chris...I'm not giving up completely, I'm still going all-in on the Universal and Hammer monsters.

I waited my entire life for Hammer Horror toys, and come hell or high water, I WILL own them all.

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
                ^Thanks Chris...I'm not giving up completely, I'm still going all-in on the Universal and Hammer monsters.

I waited my entire life for Hammer Horror toys, and come hell or high water, I WILL own them all.
                That's me and Apes, although I can't afford Zira right now.

Hammer is a really close second.

Comment

• Avenging Robot
                  • Jun 1, 2012

I think for us Canadians the better option would have been to have these as Toys R Us exclusives. I'm a little steamed that there is finally an honest to goodness Mego Taylor figure in the works and now I'm going to have to pass.

Comment

• palitoy
                    • Jun 16, 2001

I know that Mego is meeting with Topps and will be voicing many of the concerns including Canada. Although it's Topp's show, I'm sure they want to know where they're faltering and they're definitely not doing Canada any favours.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

Now they are considering making the figures boxed. I hate that idea and don't want any in boxes. I can't display Kor with my other Trek figures if he is in a box. I hang them on the wall for display.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, I'd vote no for boxes too. Unless it was an entirely new license or series, that's gonna look weird. Boxes are a nice extra but I'd like all my Apes to match.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                          Home Of The Type3 Body
                          • Jan 18, 2005

No way I can keep up.
                          The 2 DC figures was an easy pass, although had the been available from the usual dealers I go to I would have got them.
                          The 2 Apes, Zira and Taylor was harder to pass on. But I did.
                          I may try to figure out how to order from Topps if I see monster, Dark Shadows or Night Stalker stuff. Other than that, I just gonna pass unless a dealer has it.
                          LOOK
                          Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                          For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                          To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• zeedox
                            Career Member
                            • Aug 10, 2007

ah i been giving wife that double i left in the box during the collecting years to balance out the mego bill. Im kind of feeling the 1:6th scale DC Direct guys can go know with these cool 14" versions that are actually mego its still one of the best batman and robins but now with such a great mego robin....

Comment

• monitor_ep
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 11, 2013

I understand what you mean. I too have run into financial problems that has made me cut back on my extra spending. Since I cannot find the DC Comics Mego at a store I have passed on them. I wanted to get the POTA but again I cannot always find them so passa again. After I completed the Original Star Trek I stopped, if I see there alien I will probably pick them up down the way. Right now I am only picking up the Monsters to expand my Svengoolie sets.
                              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎