Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toys R Us is returning in 2022 through Macy's stores.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Toys R Us is returning in 2022 through Macy's stores.

Macy's is also running the toys r us.com website now.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Oh look, another day, another company dragging the corpse of Toys R Us out of the grave and parading it around saying "look at me, I'm alive and well" for another scam.

Lordy, we get one every year, but this year has already had this happen a couple times. WOW!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I won't believe a word of this until I walk into an actual TRU branded store...and with retail outlets dropping like flies, that isn't likely to happen.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

I feel bad I never went to the second opening with it was in Houston. I am with you, I will not believe these hype stories until I hear about the opening again.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

It would be nice if you had a Macy's to go to.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

There’s a Macy’s at my local mall within walking distance. I want to make sure I understand this, Macy’s will have Toys R Us items in their stores and online or just available for online ordering only?

Comment

• ODBJBG
              Permanent Member
              • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by TrekStar
              There’s a Macy’s at my local mall within walking distance. I want to make sure I understand this, Macy’s will have Toys R Us items in their stores and online or just available for online ordering only?
              Given what happened the last time someone did this, Macy's will likely rebrand their tiny toy section as "Toys R Us" and use some of the familiar TRU imagery. But it will still be the same small uninspired toy section they always have during the holidays.

Comment

• supes
                For the love of Mego's!
                • Jan 19, 2004

I think I read they will have a Toy R Us section in 400 Macy's stores.

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 18, 2015

Headline should be "Dying store purchases dead store."
                  The hands that grip.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                    Banned
                    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
                    Headline should be "Dying store purchases dead store."
                    Yeah, literally. Might as well pick up the Sears and K-Mart brand names while they’re at it.

Comment

• tmthor
                      God of Knock-offs
                      • Nov 29, 2005

Except I heard the new smaller Sears stores (the ones outside of malls with no exhorbant rent) were doing well.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

Well to be fair, a ton of the TRU stores were profitable. Several stores, very much so, and had the Canadian TRU company been able to purchase the brand all of those stores were planned to stay open.

Actually, the entire business was turning a profit, but they got squeezed by venture capitalists who were intent on driving them to bankruptcy because it was more profitable to them. But TRU as a company was doing just fine overall, but they got their own debt leveraged against them.

Anywho.

Comment

• SeattleEd
                          SynthoRes Transmigrator
                          • Oct 24, 2007

Here is great article detailing the history of the demise of TRU. All from a business perspective. Worth the read if you are interested.
                          Once a powerhouse in the retail industry, Toys R Us filed for bankruptcy in 2017. Wharton’s Barbara Kahn explains what went wrong.

Bottom line: Major debt, bad decisions, and lack of evolution.
                          If TRU focuses on instore TRU exclusives not available at Walmart, Target or Amazon, they will have a chance and make it a fun experience for the children and parents and not another warehouse store. However, the exclusive licensing from toy manufacturers is the killer cost and there are few major toymakers already in bed with the major retailers.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                            Permanent Member
                            • May 15, 2009

That's an interesting article, but truthfully not very informative. Not trying to be argumentative, BTW.

But that is sadly as so many articles were, too focused on "Amazon" and "Toys don't sell" and not enough on the reality of what drove TRU out of business, Amazon and other failures to adapt hurt TRU for sure, but never came close to driving them out of business. Bain Capital and the other venture capitalists who were intentionally sabotaging the company is what killed TRU. It's what they do, it's how they make money.

A much better article here explains this: https://theweek.com/articles/761124/...sts-ate-toys-r

TRU has $11 billion in sales in 2017... But they were paying obscene amounts of interest because of the way the venture capitalists had things set up. Essentially the scheme is to buy a fledgling company, saddle it with debt and then make loans to that company with absurd interest rates that force them to pay YOU back for buying them. You then never invest back into the company (because your ultimate goal is to milk them dry and run them out of business) and that's what happened with TRU.
                            Last edited by ODBJBG; Sep 23, '21, 2:54 PM.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Yeah, it wasn't Walmart or amazon that drove TRU (or Kaybee) out of business. It was venture capitalists, like Bain, that raided their assets and saddled them with insurmountable debt.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎