X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

13 Classic Superhero Back to School items

My latest article for 13th Dimension is a back-to-school shopping list featuring products plastered with our favorite Silver and Bronze Age Super Heroes. From rulers to erasers, from binders to lunch boxes, our favorite crimefighters had our back-to-school essentials covered...literally!

From pencil cases to book covers to lunchboxes, let’s go shopping in the ’60s, ’70s and ’80s!

Chris
    sigpic
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I've ford memories of some of these items and ads, thanks for the article.

I'm always on the lookout for vintage school supplies featuring Aquaman.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

Awesome memories. Cool article
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Klosterheim
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 23, 2013

Those are really cool items.

Some are very unique.

I love the artwork of the time, that they used for the stuff.

Some things are extra special.

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

I still have the Superfriends lunchbox & thermos. I think in a box of loose figures I still have the Batman pencil sharpener. I used to place that in the Wayne Foundation as a trophy. I also have a Superfriends trash can.
          17917-kfq2.jpgth.jpg
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

/\

I had that same trash can for many, many years. Loved it!

And Marvel & DC (and Star Wars) lunch boxes, binders, notepads, etc. were my classroom companions for all of my childhood.
            Last edited by Bruce Banner; Aug 23, '21, 4:46 AM.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I have that trash can today! I probably should have included it. It was literally 2 feet away from me when I wrote the article.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• newlyknighted
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 21, 2010

Great article Chris! Who didn't love their trapperkeeper? I certainly did.
                I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

What a great article! The mention of ice cream trucks resurrected fond memories of those old Ford F series trucks from the 60's driving through the suburbs with their gleaming metal refrigerated boxes, showcasing their colorful and delectable frozen goodies. Those back-to-school products are definitely special moments. The notebook covers (featuring comic covers) were a big one for me. I think my biggest tendency was to place the Marvel superhero stickers on my folders (along with Wacky Packages) for the full effect. In our elementary school it was not uncommon for them to have a supply booth where you could pick up all sorts of wonderfully themed erasers (often from Diener) and pencils and pens adorn with our favorite heroes. Fun days. Thanks for taking me back Chris. It was a great ride.

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

I always dig your articles because they bring back good memories.

Seeing the spiral notebooks reminded me that I had a 3-ring binder that featured the cover of Amazing Spider-Man #135. Meade had a whole line that consisted of the filler paper with iron ons and the spiral notebooks you have in the article, along with 3-ring binders and folders.
                    https://gobacktothepast.com/fabulous...-mead-folders/

The Superman: The Movie lunchbox still makes me happy 40 plus years later. What a cool lunchbox!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks folks. It was a fun article to do. And of course Brian has covered a lot of this stuff on Plaid Stallions over the years, so I made sure he got a shout out.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• YoungOnce
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 29, 2007

Loved the article... love that site too... check it all the time!

Comment

• Wee67
                          Museum Correspondent
                          • Apr 2, 2002

What a great article with a great flood of nostalgia!! I couldn't get enough superhero Back to School merch. When I started collecting as an adult, one of the first thing I replaced was my Mead portfolios. I remember as a kid thinking it was a bit pompous to call portfolios what was clearly just folders.

Mead school stuff is also the reason Avengers 141 is my favorite Avengers cover- that classic team vs team layout!.
                          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Makernaut
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 22, 2015

I was curious about the cover dates of the Comics featured on the 6 portfolios/binders/folders and it seems they ranged from late 1974 to January 1976. With that short of a date range, I'm guessing a lot of kids probably still had all of the actual issues in their stack at home.

Comment

• Wee67
                              Museum Correspondent
                              • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Makernaut
                              I was curious about the cover dates of the Comics featured on the 6 portfolios/binders/folders and it seems they ranged from late 1974 to January 1976. With that short of a date range, I'm guessing a lot of kids probably still had all of the actual issues in their stack at home.
                              Not to distract too much from this awesome article, but yes! I did have that Avengers book and it did make having the portfolio a bit cooler to me.

And now back to your regularly scheduled praise for the fun in the article. As nuts as I was for hero supplies, I have never seen those pencil toppers. I would've loved what amounted to small action figures I could take to school!
                              WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎