X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Resin casting help?

Is anyone here, or as a referral, casting resin heads?

I'd like to duplicate a classic Mego head (no resizing).

Thank you.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

are you looking for a 3d scan of the head as well, or do you already have that?

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I've no scans/files, just a vinyl head.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Which head are you trying to have cast? Just curious. I've made molds from a lot of heads.

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I've no scans/files, just a vinyl head.
          I can help you print, but can't do the scanning just yet. I have tried a few photogrammetry scanning apps, but have not had good results.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
            Which head are you trying to have cast? Just curious. I've made molds from a lot of heads.
            The Cowardly Lion. I'm trying to work directly on the head but find it difficult. It would be much easier to resculpt on a resin copy.

Rche, I appreciate the printing offer but I'm not there yet.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

The Cowardly Lion. I'm trying to work directly on the head but find it difficult. It would be much easier to resculpt on a resin copy.
              If you did get a shrink of it, they are not flexible at all. They get really rigid. Would it work if it was smaller? Way cheaper than making a mold and casting one.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                Eloquent Member
                • Jan 19, 2008

The lion head is much larger than a regular Mego head. I'm going to shrink one, just because.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I guess i might soak it for a day at most, it really doesn't need to be smaller.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

I took a picture with some other Mego heads. Some regular size and some of their giant heads. These are all regular non-altered Mego heads.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jun 29, 2018

Chris has quite a melon there.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jun 29, 2018

Here is the mold making tutorial the Capt Dunsel posted based on the notes I sent him way back when he first started making casts.

Comment

• sprytel
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 26, 2009

Rche, I appreciate the printing offer but I'm not there yet.
                          I've had luck working directly on a vinyl head. Just pack the head full with air dry clay and let it harden first. You can use the same air dry clay to make alterations on the resulting (non-squishy) head.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks, I was trying to fill it with paraffin with an epoxy plug and that is difficult and messy.

Doesn't the clay make it heavy?

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

Thanks, I was trying to fill it with paraffin with an epoxy plug and that is difficult and messy.

Doesn't the clay make it heavy?
                              About as heavy as (or slightly lighter than) a resin head.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎