X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Topps Mego figures

These figures are cool, but really expensive. The cheapest you can get them for is $24 each, if you buy four figures. If you only buy one figure, it will cost you $30. I don't see that being a very good deal. I don't know how people will keep up with their offerings at that price. It's $52 a week if you only buy two figures. That would be $2,704 a year if you bought two 8" figures each week. For the people that like to buy two of each figure, that's $5,408 a year. They will be offering 14" figures also, so the price would actually be a lot higher if you get them, too.
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

I live in an area where finding Mego in the wild is random, at best. So if there is a figure I really want, I would need to order online. For one figure, that tends to be about 22 to 24 bucks after shipping. For the more expanded selections and quasi-limited quantity items that TOPPS is offering, the extra 6 bucks does not seem too bad to me.

If you are a gotta get em all in multiples sort of collector, then I guess it is a pretty big chunk to decide to budget. But, if you just pick up the item here and there that you like, it seems pretty reasonable to me. There are several companies selling action figures for prices well above this price point and they have been for some time. I agree that the sweet spot for MEGO to me is a 12$ price tag, but I understand that in order to meet that sweet spot, MEGO Corp has to have some mass quantity sales.

I think the TOPPS deal is another venue to get more attention to this product and thus generate interest and sales. Hopefully that will keep the retail prices stable.

Comment

• zeedox
      Career Member
      • Aug 10, 2007

Are we getting more Mattel do overs?

Comment

• TrekStar
        Trek or Treat
        • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
        These figures are cool, but really expensive. The cheapest you can get them for is $24 each, if you buy four figures. If you only buy one figure, it will cost you $30. I don't see that being a very good deal. I don't know how people will keep up with their offerings at that price. It's $52 a week if you only buy two figures. That would be $2,704 a year if you bought two 8" figures each week. For the people that like to buy two of each figure, that's $5,408 a year. They will be offering 14" figures also, so the price would actually be a lot higher if you get them, too.
        Actually CTVT sells carded figures at the same prices, with no discounts if you buy 2 or more.

And judging by that, the cost for 14” figures would probably be most likely the same as Classic Toys.

By looking at the pics of Shazam and Black Adam, body quality looks around the same or a little better, but will know for sure when folks have them in hand.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by zeedox
          Are we getting more Mattel do overs?
          You should be so lucky!!
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
            You should be so lucky!!
            The Mattel figures are great tbh. I loved all the sculpts and outfits just wasn't keen on the wobbliness of the bodies. Also most of the figures besides the main ones aren't cheap on Ebay. I would love to see Green Arrow and Manta reproduced.

Comment

• rodkeith
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 16, 2008

Well, I was excited about the Shazam and Black Adam pair, and they look amazing, but $67.00-$81.00 (US $!) shipping to Canada for two figures is absolutely insane.

Comment

• nubee
                Career Member
                • Feb 15, 2010

I am surprise no one mentioned Topps/Mego Captain Marvel and Black Adam will only be available for sale if...."In the case of minimum production quantities not being met when the sales period ends, Topps reserves the option to cancel the release and deliver full refunds to customers." This is sorta like a 'Kick-starter." I wonder how many numbers of pre-orders are needed before production begins.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by nubee
                  I am surprise no one mentioned Topps/Mego Captain Marvel and Black Adam will only be available for sale if...."In the case of minimum production quantities not being met when the sales period ends, Topps reserves the option to cancel the release and deliver full refunds to customers." This is sorta like a 'Kick-starter." I wonder how many numbers of pre-orders are needed before production begins.
                  I think I posted that in two different threads a couple of days ago.

Comment

• Tiberiusguy
                    Museum Patron
                    • Aug 23, 2019

Haha, and I mentioned the international shipping rate in the other thread. Also from Canada, I’m pretty sure I can send to my friend in Florida and have it forwarded, for half the postage. I think $35 each, or 2@$50 trumps your price… yikes

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

To buy a FTC Captain Marvel it will cost you 30 plus shipping. If they raise prices on the ones with bandless bodies 40 bucks plus shipping.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• zeedox
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 10, 2007

If Topps sold all of the new wave then getting the extras would sort of get thrown into that.

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 23, 2008

A part of me feels like the Shazam figures were chosen to kick off the excitement since they seem to be pretty in demand but I am hoping we get some lesser popular DC characters down the line. One that always comes to mind is Deadshot. He isn't one of the most recognized villains compared to most but he has been heavily featured in tv, cartoons and movies for a while now and I would love to see the design they come up with.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 23, 2019

The extreme shipping cost to Canada (even for economy shipping) is insulting. I understand there are costs involved in everything, but it makes it impossible for me to purchase these figures and I was really hoping to utilize this new service from Topps as a way of adding to my personal collection as well as continuing to support the Mego brand. There needs to be a better way of making these items available in our country.
                            "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

I had a conversation with the folks at Mego about that, they were unaware. Hopefully, some resolution comes of this.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎