Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mego Outfits: To Wash or Not to Wash? That is the Question!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

Mego Outfits: To Wash or Not to Wash? That is the Question!

I recently obtained some Dinah Mite fashions, but the white parts are brown/tan. I'm contemplating soaking them in Woolite, but I don't know if that will make them white again, and I don't want to ruin them, or make the other colors bleed or fade. Any members here with experience washing Mego or other doll clothes have any tips they can share?
    IMG_20210815_101730.jpgIMG_20210814_204111.jpgIMG_20210814_203842.jpg
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Woolite, yes. Dish-soap, yes. White vinegar, diluted, yes. Diluted Oxy--maybe, can fade colors. Bleach--no! The dress is synthetic, should spot-clean well. The others are likely cotton and you may be able to only brighten them a little, not whiten them.

Soak, then hand-wash gently in a bowl with tepid water, rinse same and blot dry, air dry,

I see some methods online for restoring old linen, but dealing with colors is not discussed.

Personally, I have found dish-soap and vinegar very helpful.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 15, '21, 5:11 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• RonnyG
      Career Member
      • Apr 23, 2014

Those are some great tips! Thanks for sharing them!

Comment

• SeattleEd
        SynthoRes Transmigrator
        • Oct 24, 2007

What Scott said! I do the exact same thing and Wool-lite and Oxy do wonders. Just be careful with Oxy as Scott pointed out that it does fade colors unless that is what you want. I mix the Wool-lite and Oxy with very warm/hot water, more so for whites. Then rinse with cold water.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

If it was an item that I REALLY cared about I would meticulously wash each color separately with Oxi and a Q-tip --keeping plenty of paper towels on hand for fast clean up

IMO, different colors shouldn't be washed together, too much chance of bleeding

Do one color at a time

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎