Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's a Doll I Never Heard of Before... Sun Spell, the Guardian Goddess!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

Here's a Doll I Never Heard of Before... Sun Spell, the Guardian Goddess!

So I was perusing ebay and came across this doll that Mattel put out in 1979. She looks like the precursor to She-Ra or the Sorceress! I did a search here at the forum, but couldn't find any threads, so it seems few members remember her. Do you remember her?
    m64966691874_1.jpgm64966691874_3.jpg
    Last edited by RonnyG; Aug 15, '21, 11:31 AM.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

I have those. There's two in the set and a couple of fashions. Lovely dolls but a little scarce. They were test marketed but didn't get a full release. The action feature mechanism that makes their arms spring up is a little fragile and can break with heavy play.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• RonnyG
      Career Member
      • Apr 23, 2014

They're very attractive, and more imaginative than some of the stuff today. Are their bodices removable, or are they painted/sculpted on? I know Mattel does a lot of sculpted bodices on today's dolls.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by RonnyG
        Are their bodices removable, or are they painted/sculpted on? I know Mattel does a lot of sculpted bodices on today's dolls.
        They're removable. I also hate the sculpted on tops on modern dolls. It's not just Mattel. Hasbro has been doing that for the Disney Princess line too. Those used to be terrific dolls for the price.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• RonnyG
          Career Member
          • Apr 23, 2014

Yes, you're right! I forgot about Hasbro Disney.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, those are new to me too. Definitely going to show my wife who will probably go "Oh yeah, I knew about those.' ;-)

There's definitely some serious She-Ra vibes going on with that doll! Kind of surprised it has never been mentioned in any of the MOTU histories I've read/watched.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I recall seeing her companion doll a few years ago, I like these. The definately have a POP vibe.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

I think it’s very nice looking, and I also like the colorful box art sort of reminds me of the gold key Star Trek comics.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Here's Moon Mystic.

ggmoon.JPG

Their fashions will not fit modern Barbies. Anything past the super star era will not fit.

The gimmick of the dolls is their transformation feature. They come with a snap on top with attached dress that is the secret identity outfit which clips over the super hero outfit. To set the action feature from the mini instruction leaflet included with the dolls.

1. Press dolls upper legs together.
                  2. Move arms down to the sides until hands touch her legs.
                  3. Put dress on doll.
                  4. Move doll's legs to the side and she becomes a Super Heroine.

Basically you have to hold the doll's arms down and pinch in the hips until there is a slight click to set the action feature. To activate you then gently pull the legs apart by the ankles and the arms will spring up and secret identity fashion will sort of pop off. The action feature is very delicate and amazingly mine still work.
                  Last edited by Werewolf; Aug 31, '21, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Lovely dolls, I like them a lot.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

That action feature sounds a lot like a precursor to the Super Powers line, and then Kenner's Silverhawks, whose wing-popping action gimmick went back to DC with Kenner's Dark Knight Collection, and Shadow Wing Batman!

Just think, if Mattel had pitched THIS gimmick to DC instead of lenticular shields, maybe Mattel would have gotten Super Powers...and Secret Wars wouldn't exist!

Chris
                      Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Sep 1, '21, 11:48 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• RonnyG
                        Career Member
                        • Apr 23, 2014

Love the outfit! Too bad the doll didn't catch on. Maybe it was too ahead of its time? It think Mattel could have incorporated the character into the She-Ra universe if they wanted to.

Comment

• Werewolf
                          Inhuman
                          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                          then Kenner's Silverhawks, whose wing-popping action gimmick went back to DC with Kenner's Dark Knight Collection, and Shadow Wing Batman!
                          It is very similar.

There's four fashions in the set, Lion Queen, Soaring Eagle, Blazing Fire and Ice Empress, and each outfit was supposed to give Sun Spell or Moon Mystic a different power.

Here's Blazing Fire. I don't remember which Barbie this exactly is I just thought she matched perfectly with the fashion with her green eyes and bright fiery red har.

ggfire.JPG

The dolls are fairly obscure now but are a cool piece of history. They are the first action dolls and the box art does have a bit of a She-Ra vibe to it.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Sun Spell with included clip on dress.

ggsun.JPG

Neat bit of trivia. The GG's head sculpt was later used for Italian Barbie and the boots were re-used for Astronaut Barbie.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎