X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

FCBD 2021 is today

Usually in May, due to pandemic delays, today is FCBD for 2021. Our local shop had offerings form this year and last year's FCBD which never happened for them due to the pandemic. They put no limit on how many you can choose. I decided to skip the Marvel and DC offerings this year and sample what the other publishers had to offer. I made sure to get the Critical Role: Mighty Nein book from Dark Horse, as my wife is a huge Critical Role fan, and I was eager to see Ed Piskor's horror comics Red Room and James Tynion's Welcome to the House of Slaughter. I was also ecstatic to find last year's Usagi Yojimbo FCBD book, as I missed last year's offerings altogether.

The shop was also offering a flat 25% off everything in the shop as part of their FCBD celebration, so I picked up my file, a handful of back issues and one of the graphic short boxes while there. I had been to my lcs about a week and half ago, so there were only 3 books in my pull this week...

the first issue of the new Batman '89 comic, the newest issue of the Batman Scooby Doo Mysteries and the most recent issue of The Good Asian, an excellent noir detective comic set in 1930s Chinatown in SF. Plus the graphic short box featuring Brian Bolland's Starro cover from JLA...

and then a plethora of FCBD offerings....

The Star Wars adventures offering from IDW, the Star Wars anime book from Viz, Smurfs, the Usagi Yojimbo book I mentioned, Tynion's spinoff form Something is Killing the Children, and Assassin's Creed

Ed Piskor's Red Room, a Zorro book from American Mythology, Gloomhaven a horror fantasy looking book, Who Sparked the Montgomery Bus Boycott (a historical book), Archie and Donlad Duck books

A Zelda manga, Dungeons (a D&Dish humorous looking book), Legend of Korra/Avatar, Vampirella, White Ash an adveture genre book, and Blade Runner origins

We Live the Last Day (looks like a YA post-apocalyptic sci-fi kind of book), Judge Dredd, the Critical Role book, Eric Powell's Hillbilly, Black Cal.Ext and Lady Mechanika

Little Lulu and Space Pirate Harlock

and to help support the shop, I took advantage of the 25% off sale and picked up some back issues...

a passel of Groo back issues from various publishers...

I've just started picking up Groo, I kept waiting for a decent trade collection to be put out, but I haven't seen any news of one, so I recently started trying to pick up back issues.

a handful of Scooby Doo back issues from various publishers

and a pair of war comics...

So lots of good comic reading to get to over the next few days.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

After a 2 + year hiatus, we went out to celebrate FCBD. This has been a family tradition with my kiddos and I was totally thrilled to see my older teenage kiddos engaged and absorbed just as they had been when we started this out when they were wee little tykes. We visited a small mom and pop shop nearby that also happens to have a restaurant attached and was pleasantly surprised with their well stocked shop in small-town mid Missouri. Little Shop of Comics in Cuba, MO if you happen to be nearby.

In the recent past we would travel to StLouis to a shop that hosted FCBD and had local artists sketching, autographs, and lots of costumed employees and customers. That shop also had the 25 comics for $5 grab bags that we loved to pick up. Unfortunately, I could not find that shop the last time I was in StL, but this local store was friendly and full of comic goodness and we had a great time anyway. I wish everyone else good pickings and good times this year.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Nice to see these and hear of local shops doing well. My closest shop is almost 40 minutes away and I don't have books coming in until month's-end, so I can't justify going over now.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

What's amazing to me is that this is the 20th Anniversary of FCBD. Where has the time gone?

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

I found out walking by a shop where I live in Boston (Kenmore Square). Comicopia had a table outside with all the free books.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
            Career Member
            • Jun 8, 2015

I went to AF comics in Frankfurt which is about a 1/2 hour from my house, And they had everything set up outside, didn't even have to go in and spend $$$$$$$$$$

Hahahha! I got the Valiant, Straczynski's Resistance Uprising. 10 tones of fun Preview, Zorro by American Mythology the guys who do the Bullwinkle and Underdog comics

last kids on Earth. the Rosa Parks comic,the two DC books (Batman and King Shark). the two Marvel books ( Avengers/Hulk and Spidey & Venom) but the best book is the

TRAILER PARK BOYS!!! I wonder how it's gonna translate to sequential?? Bittersweet, it's published by Devil's Due, long story.

anyway it was a nice day out.

Comment

• Operation:Mego
              I'm the Star Spangled Man
              • May 21, 2011

I had absolutely no idea this was today. Oh well. Every one near me has been closed for years any how. No limit sounds pretty cool. The ones near me used to only have a 5 max. One a little farther was 10.
              sigpic
              The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                Permanent Member
                • Jun 29, 2018

Took the kids to a couple of comic book stores to help ease the sting of the limit. One of our stops was Third Planet which is using the hotel next door and wrote their lawsuit as a comic book which is supposed to be a first time event. We bought a copy of the lawsuit. Fun times

Comment

• powersthatbe
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 27, 2010

I stopped by just when they were finishing putting them out, got my books and ran over about noon to pick up my brother and nephew to go to the steel city con. Meatloaf, Carl Weathers, Robert Englund and some AEW wrestlers were there(they were in Pittsburgh to debut AEW Rampage)

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎