X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Mego 14? Shazam: Mint Off Card Review

Mego Museum Mint Off Card returns with another advance look at Wave 13, this time it’s the 14″ Shazam figure from DC Comics. Fans have been eagerly waiting almost 2 years for the Big Red Cheese. Was he worth the wait? You tell us! You can Order the new Mego figures here Check out all…

More...
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Goes live in ten.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I, too can tolerate the boots, it's such a charming figure. My quibble would be his eyebrow paints, but all-in-all, I think he's wonderful. Thanks for having the good taste to dub him properly, and to Mego for doing his classic costume.

What's with Aquaman on the new packaging, hmmm?
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

Nice! I was really looking forward to Captain Marvel last year. I don't think Mego was happy to see the plant closed, but the new body looks so much better than the old 14" body, from the neck down. I am excited to get this one.

Comment

• Robert_Anthony
          Museum Patron
          • Sep 5, 2015

Mego, you have tempted me...AND I AM ABOUT TO GIVE IN TO TEMPTATION! As for the boots are they a deal breaker? Uh...NO!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

...lead me not into temptation, but deliver me some Mego!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

The gold vs. yellow conundrum has been perplexing everyone making Shazam figures ever since Alex Ross started painting him. I have to say from the video, I'm not super crazy about the caramel boots, but they are definitely not a deal breaker, and I understand Mego was basically damned if they did, damned if they didn't. Had they went all yellow, it would have looked less "deluxe". Mixing the gold and yellow rarely works either.

I do agree his eyebrows are a bit thin. Classic Captain Marvel looked like he had two Mr. Minds nesting on his forehead, but other than that, the sculpt and paint are perfect. This is a great looking figure, and although I didn't preorder any of the 14" figures just due to budgetary concerns, I'm going to have to pick this one up.

Thanks as always for the great video review!

Chris

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• warlock664
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 15, 2009

I’ve personally always preferred the boots/belt/arm bands/cape trim to be yellow, and the costume to be a one piece unitard (rather than sporting a military style flap), because that’s how Cap looked when I discovered him in SHAZAM! #15 100 Page Spectacular in 1974, age 10. And, of course, that’s how he was portrayed throughout his Golden Age and into the 80’s (I do realize that military flap was present in his early appearances).
                But then I’ve also never been a fan of Alex Ross’ portrayal in particular, nor of his work in general, so I’m biased.

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

I think mego hit a home run with this, great looking figure.

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    The gold vs. yellow conundrum has been perplexing everyone making Shazam figures ever since Alex Ross started painting him. I have to say from the video, I'm not super crazy about the caramel boots, but they are definitely not a deal breaker, and I understand Mego was basically damned if they did, damned if they didn't. Had they went all yellow, it would have looked less "deluxe". Mixing the gold and yellow rarely works either.
                    Yeah, you bring up a good point, while I'm "the yellow kid" in certain respects, I think that Mego had to go with gold in the style guide. I'm not sure anything outside of vac metalizing the boots (something I personally loathe) would work. No solution would make everyone happy. It's a nice figure regardless.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Well, to fair it's possible to get sparkly opaque plastic--vintage Mego, Mego Corp, DM, and FTC have all managed it for boots and/or accessories. And I don't advocate metalizing, either--its too much. Were the Matty RetroAction boots painted?

Still, the DC Direct deluxe 13" Shazam! featured gold accents but buff boots, so this is not unprecedented. I like my Cap with gold accents and a flapped tunic. Junior can have the tights.
                      Last edited by PNGwynne; Aug 10, '21, 4:58 PM.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Robert_Anthony
                        Museum Patron
                        • Sep 5, 2015

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                        ...lead me not into temptation, but deliver me some Mego!

Comment

• KnightDetective
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 31, 2012

Yellow variant might be a good project for the Topps arrangement.

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Absolutely LOVE this Shazam. A yellow variant would be awesome if the color guide would allow for some loose interpretation. Great video Brain. Loved the figure transformation sequence. That was a great idea.

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by KnightDetective
                              Yellow variant might be a good project for the Topps arrangement.
                              That's a great idea! Would love to see that.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎