X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

FTC Dropped The Ball On Superman

I was just going through the FTC website, looking at all of the DC figures they have made and seeing which ones I don't have.

When I got to Superman, one of DC Comics biggest characters, and looked at the offerings, it just made me realize how much FTC dropped the ball on Superman.

Series 1 was great, with repros of Superman and Supergirl, a reworked Mxy on a small body, and a new character in Bizarro.

Series 2 gave us... a bunch of civilians. Clark Kent was nice as a SI figure, and Lois, Jimmy and Perry White are important enough to the Superman mythos, so I bought all.

Series 3... um... we got a grinning Superboy, a big head lab coat Lex Luthor, and The Kents. At the time, this was the fastest parting out of a wave I had seen from FTC. I ended up buying Superboy. That was it.

Without any inside knowledge, Series 3 seemed bad enough that the Superman series turned into one off variants from that point, while Batman hummed along with six series and many non-series additions, like the new Riddlers and The Penguin.

With Superman, we could have gotten an early powersuit Lex Luthor before his Super Friends version (I appreciate what FTC tried to do with the lab coat Lex, but it contributed to a boring series), Brainiac, The Parasite, classic General Zod and Jor-El, Mon-El, Maxima, Silver Banshee, etc. CTVT has enough western items, we could have even gotten Terra Man. Any one of those in series 3 (Mon-El would have been a good fit) and we might have gotten another series or two of Superman.

I still would like to see FTC revisit Superman. They have a body type that would work for Mongul too. That could turn out nice. But I feel like the Superman Train has left FTC and it's a shame we didn't get more figures out of that franchise.
  • Jrfjr126rock
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 23, 2008

I’m curious as to if FTC will do full series again or just one off figures like they have been doing lately.

I’m hoping they go back to doing a line per hero. If would be cool to see more Batman villains, more Superman villains, Nubia and Ares for WW, Firestorm villains, etc.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Completely agree with you, TRD. A Brainiac with new head sculpt, as well as others you mention, would be great. Of course I'd love to see classic Winslow Schott Toyman, and Bronze-age Metallo.

And what about Kandor's Nightwing and Flamebird? Fun variants, and no new tooling needed.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

If you can make Ma and Pa Kent and the Daily Planet staff, you certainly have a case for making Winslow Schott Toyman and The Prankster too, spread out over multiple series.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Well, FTC has done many Superman variants and that weird First Appearance Supergirl, and those may cut into balancing out potential waves with villains.

Perhaps the Flash Wave didn't do well, and that accounts for fewer waves and more single Batman Family releases.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

FTC seems to be slowing its output a bit, maybe the 8 inch retro format only has so much money to go around and Mego took a big bite out of it?
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Mego Milk
              Custom Mego Maker
              • Jun 3, 2007

I like the Super Friends Superman head-sculpt the best.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                Career Member
                • Jul 23, 2019

I just purchased Superboy to add to my collection, and I keep going back and forth on whether or not I should purchase Ma and Pa Kent.
                "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

The Pa Kent head with a white repaint on the hair makes a great Commissioner Gordon from the 66 show.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    The Pa Kent head with a white repaint on the hair makes a great Commissioner Gordon from the 66 show.
                    Indeed he does.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      Indeed he does.
                      I actually kinda wonder if that was the original intent of the head, until they figured out they couldn't do Gordon.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

Honestly I think it’s great that we got the Kents and the Daily Planet crew since basically no one has made that many of those characters. And they’re well done for the most part but Lex and some of the others got cursed with balloons for heads and you can argue that other characters would have been more visually interesting. But truthfully there was no reason not to do another wave of interesting colorful villains. But they never did. Perhaps because many of the other DC lines also have Supes villains in them.

Comment

• markp67
                          • Jun 22, 2010

Totally agree with the original post - I remember thinking that they'd make classic Jor-El, Zod, Braniac, and Luthor for sure. I definitely would have bought those. I was disappointed with all the civilian characters and didn't get any of them.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                            Career Member
                            • Jul 23, 2019

I thought I read at one point FTC was making Zod and/or the Phantom Zone criminals... did I imagine this?

Also, by looking at some of the Pa Kent pictures on the FTC website, he could also pass as Les Nessman from WKRP in Cincinnati.
                            "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by TheVintageToyKid
                              I thought I read at one point FTC was making Zod and/or the Phantom Zone criminals... did I imagine this?

Also, by looking at some of the Pa Kent pictures on the FTC website, he could also pass as Les Nessman from WKRP in Cincinnati.
                              There are a ton of figures they announced that haven't been made yet so its a possibility... Bumblebee, GeoForce, Katana, Zatanna etc come to mind

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎