X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: 1985 Child World Catalog: He-Man, She-Ra, Zybots and more

Toy-Ventures this week digs into another vintage toy catalog. This week we explore the 1985 Child World Catalog which is jam packed with the hottest 80s toys like He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Remco Zybots Tonka GoBots She-Ra: Princess of Power Cabbage Patch Kids Knight Rider Rainbow Brite My Little Pony Robotix My […]
    The post Toy-Ventures: 1985 Child World Catalog: He-Man, She-Ra, Zybots and more appeared first on PS.

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Lol I was going to type a comment about 1985 MOTU before your recap and then discovered it was almost exactly your commentary. I loved the lined at that point, I was 17!

It's great to see those Blackstone magic kits, I missed a chance to see him in high school.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Man, that was a fun bit of time travel. We had a Children's Palace in nearby Lexington. I didn't get to go there too often, but I actually preferred it to TRU, which was also in Lexington. They seemed to have better prices and more in stock.

I actually found an AHI Spider-Man Stunt Cycle clearanced when the store went out of business in the early 90s. I can't imagine what else may have been in that store room that I missed!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

My Little Pony was huge in the mid 80s. Both Remco and Lanard made My Little Pony knock offs.

I remember the She-Ra launch. Some stores had them mixed in with the action figures and some put them in the pink aisle. She-Ra was a massive hit in 85 and MOTU was boosted by the success of the Evil Horde figures.. It still irritates me a bit some people still push the myth that POP brought down MOTU.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

I still have my original She-Ra figures, horses and castle, but my Mom got rid of my MOTU (go figure).
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Falstaff13
            Persistent Member
            • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
            I remember the She-Ra launch. Some stores had them mixed in with the action figures and some put them in the pink aisle.
            The Roses in my small town (which had the biggest toy department of any store in the area) devoted an aisle to He-Man and She-Ra, so they shared that space.
            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I think She-Ra was in the action figure aisle at our local Howard's, where I bought most of my MOTU figures. I had the entire first wave of figures, feeling it was just an extension of the MOTU line, of which I had EVERYTHING. But I'll be honest, and you can judge me if you like, I got kind of self-conscious about owning them pretty quickly. Hey, it was the 80s, a less enlightened time in many ways.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                But I'll be honest, and you can judge me if you like, I got kind of self-conscious about owning them pretty quickly.
                I just think it's cool you wanted them in the first place and I do get the stigma that still unfortunately exists between that fine societal line of what is considered an acceptable toy for a boy or a girl. That's a lot of pressure to put on kids. I do think it kind of weird how society has changed on what colors are acceptable for kids. In the 70s it was perfectly normal for the Bionic Man, Bigfoot, Mego Batman, etc. to be in pink packaging. In the 80s hot pink and other bright neon colors were everywhere. If a Batman figure came in pink packaging today people would have a hemorrhage.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• RonnyG
                  Career Member
                  • Apr 23, 2014

Sort of the same topic, but this reminds me that my mom would NOT allow me to buy the Princess Leia action figure. She did not want her son to have a girl doll! LOL I had all the other Star Wars figures, but her. Finally, my best friend gave her to me as a birthday present. My mom didn't say anything, but I could tell by the look of disgust on her face that she wasn't happy, but what could she do? It's a brilliant idea actually. Get your friends to buy you something your parent won't. My mom has lightened up a lot since then. It was just a different generation.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Thankfully, my parents never seemed to have that problem, at least with super heroic figures. I got the 12" Mego Wonder Woman doll for my birthday one year. I was very young, but recalled not really knowing what to do with it, because I don't think I had the 12" Superman or Spider-Man yet. I got female GI Joe figures, Super Powers Wonder Woman, Teela, Evil-Lyn, etc, with no problem. Now, if I had wanted to start buying Barbie...I bet my Dad would have stepped in and put the kibosh on that. The adventure aspect made the other ladies okay.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Robert_Anthony
                      Museum Patron
                      • Sep 5, 2015

There used to be a Child World in Westport, CT I remember going to. With my dad I got a Shazam figure in the early 80's as Mego's first run was ending. Eventually, it became a Toys R Us. It's now a Home Goods.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎