X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powersthatbe
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 27, 2010

Taika Watiti and Fkash Gordon

First I heard he was doing an animated flash movie, now I read today he's veering it to live action. I think this guy would "get it" when it comes to Flash Gordon ). Curious if how they would do him in today's times. Can't be "blonde haired and blue eyes" and certainly can't make MIng resemble asian. years ago i thought of Chadwick Tatum as Flash and Gary Oldman as Ming
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by powersthatbe
    First I heard he was doing an animated flash movie, now I read today he's veering it to live action. I think this guy would "get it" when it comes to Flash Gordon ). Curious if how they would do him in today's times. Can't be "blonde haired and blue eyes" and certainly can't make MIng resemble asian.
    Captain America and Thor are two popular blond adventure heroes right off the top of my head. I don't see it as a problem. As long as they go with a more of an alien (Defenders of the Earth) look and less stereotypical yellow peril I don't see Ming being an issue either. Ming Merchandise hasn't exactly been scarce the last several years. Heck, Max Von Sydow's Ming got several action figures and a Funko POP.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• The Bat
      Batman Fanatic
      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Werewolf
      Captain America and Thor are two popular blond adventure heroes right off the top of my head. I don't see it as a problem.
      Couldn't agree more!!
      sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

And Hemsworth might be good for Flash. Gary Oldman for Ming would be pretty genius
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          And Hemsworth might be good for Flash. Gary Oldman for Ming would be pretty genius
          I'd like to see BOTH of those casting choices!
          sigpic

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

Watiti can almost do no wrong, so this has potential.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I just hope this isn't one of those Tim Burton/Dark Shadows situations where the match between director and subject seems perfect, and then it all goes horribly wrong. But I trust Watiti to deliver his usual brand of insane spectacle. I'm down for Oldman as Ming, but I think Hemsworth may be too identified as Thor to be Flash. If Chris Pine is done with Captain Kirk, I could see him as Flash.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                If Chris Pine is done with Captain Kirk, I could see him as Flash.

Chris

That would TOTALLY work!!
                sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Chris Pine and Co are going back for another Trek so not quite done.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    Chris Pine and Co are going back for another Trek so not quite done.
                    I have my doubts about that coming to fruition...my I sincerely hope it DOES HAPPEN! That said, if Pine does get to play Kirk again...him playing Flash around the same time could be a conflict of interest.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2015

Buster Crabbe played Buck Rogers in between two Flash Gordon serials. The precedent is there for one actor to play two different Space Heroes (with one being Flash Gordon)!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I want another Pine Trek as well, and I hope this time it comes together. Star Trek Beyond is one of my favorite films in the Trek franchise. A real shame the stink off of Into Darkness sinked it's box office, because it's FAR superior to its predecessor.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Director Taika Watiti is aware and is working on the the character of Ming. It’s not what that character was before, it’s what he’s going to be today. I don’t think casting a white actor and make him look Asian is going to be accepted, especially if they go with Ming featuring the “yellow peril” look of yesteryear. That’s not going to go well today (and it’s not going to happen). I love Gary Oldman, but if he were to play Ming the Merciless, he has to physically be portrayed with a non-Asian appearance. No makeup to make him look Asian. Just be a villainous Gary Oldman. So I’m good with a Caucasian actor playing the lead villain. And personally, the name Ming is okay by me (I mean, Asians adopt Western names after all), but you can’t make him look Asian in appearance, that’s the equivalent of blackface nowadays.

BTW, Ming is a Chinese name meaning ‘Bright’. It was also the dynasty ruling China 1368–1644 founded by Zhu Yuanzhang (1328–98). The Ming Dyansty.

Yes, Chris Hemsworth would make a great Flash Gordon.

I love the original. The Queen soundtrack takes it up to another level.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

hey, if the guy can do a movies about Nazi's and make it humorous in poking fun at the lunacy that was the Nazi party, and still tell a touching, poignant story, then i trust he can do Flash Gordon right and do right by Ming too

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Oh, no question. Taika Watiti is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors. Dude is talented.

Jojo Rabbit was brilliant. Watiti playing Adolf, hilarious.

My eyes very rarely get watery watching movies, but man, Scarlett Johansson…the son seeing her, reacting, I don’t want to give any spoilers, but man…

That’s Jojo Rabbit for you, both charming and heartbreaking…
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎