Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dollar Tree Doll Glam Makeover: Introducing The Space Maidens!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

Dollar Tree Doll Glam Makeover: Introducing The Space Maidens!

Here's my homage to those great (but cheap) '70s rack toys! I was inspired by the Star Maidens dolls, and the Galaxy Maidens clone dolls that pop up on ebay once in a while.
    I thought it would be a fun challenge to take some plain, ordinary clone fashion dolls from Dollar Tree, and give them a sci-fi glam makeover. Almost everything I used came from the Dollar Tree or Dollar King (except for the boots).
    Although, I would've preferred blister cards, I do like the boxes they came in, so I just embelished them with outer space-themed stickers, instead of creating an all new backdrop.
    I chose to call them "Space Maidens" because I like the old-fashioned, quaint name, and it sounds retro.

before_after.jpg IMG_20210726_181204.jpg IMG_20210726_180433.jpg IMG_20210726_185137.jpg IMG_20210726_174757.jpg
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Laser Guns / blasters also came from Dollar Tree?

Comment

• Doctor Dim
      • May 18, 2017

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
      They're blowdryers.
      Last edited by Doctor Dim; Jul 27, '21, 11:11 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• KnightDetective
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 31, 2012

Nicely done! I was looking forward to seeing your take on these, but hadn't expected such immediate gratification! They look like authentic modern product.

I see some clever repurposing there. If you get a chance, would you please elaborate recipe-wise?

Comment

• Megotastrophe
          Permanent Member
          • Jun 29, 2018

Dor the weapons the alien Final Faction guns could be fun too.

Comment

• RonnyG
            Career Member
            • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by KnightDetective
            Nicely done! I was looking forward to seeing your take on these, but hadn't expected such immediate gratification! They look like authentic modern product.

I see some clever repurposing there. If you get a chance, would you please elaborate recipe-wise?
            Thank you so much! I did do some head swapping with their fashion dolls and their mermaid dolls, because I really liked the mermaid doll's bright hair colors and their mini-dresses, so I put them on the fashion doll bodies. The earrings are those small sewing pins with colored heads. The bracelets were made from colored plastic straws. The necklaces came with the dolls, but I cut them to make them smaller. I removed their eyebrows with acetone, and painted new ones on. Used glitter pens for the eyeshadow. I think I covered everything.

BTW, I noticed some Dollar Trees are getting new face molds for their dolls. I was lucky to get them for this project. They are much more attractive than the older face molds currently in their stores. The old ones show teeth, and the new ones are closed mouth. Most stores still have the old stock, but I'm hoping they will switch over to the new ones when their inventory runs out.

Comment

• RonnyG
              Career Member
              • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
              Yes, Dr. Dim is correct. The "laser guns" I found at Dollar King. They came with a My Pretty Pony clone, so they're supposed to be little hair dryers, but I thought they looked like futuristic guns.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Very creative! I wish stuff like this still came around.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Fantastic!
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

Really love your upgrade before and after pics with window boxes to boot, awesome job putting these together and cool idea for a loaded laser beam hair dryer.

Comment

• danadoll
                      Micronaut Nut!
                      • Apr 11, 2005

Haha! Great job! They look like ladies you'd see in a 50's B movie.

Dana
                      "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

Originally posted by RonnyG
                        Here's my homage to those great (but cheap) '70s rack toys! I was inspired by the Star Maidens dolls, and the Galaxy Maidens clone dolls that pop up on ebay once in a while.
                        I thought it would be a fun challenge to take some plain, ordinary clone fashion dolls from Dollar Tree, and give them a sci-fi glam makeover. Almost everything I used came from the Dollar Tree or Dollar King (except for the boots).
                        Although, I would've preferred blister cards, I do like the boxes they came in, so I just embelished them with outer space-themed stickers, instead of creating an all new backdrop.
                        I chose to call them "Space Maidens" because I like the old-fashioned, quaint name, and it sounds retro.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31289[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]31290[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]31291[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]31292[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]31293[/ATTACH]
                        I LOVE this idea and they came out looking store bought, great job!!!
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• sprytel
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 26, 2009

This is just loads of fun. I love them. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• RonnyG
                            Career Member
                            • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
                            Dor the weapons the alien Final Faction guns could be fun too.
                            Yes, those would work, too, but I would probably paint them pink and add glitter!

Comment

• RonnyG
                              Career Member
                              • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by danadoll
                              Haha! Great job! They look like ladies you'd see in a 50's B movie.

Dana

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎