X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Be careful what you wish for.

Before Revelations and the Netflix She-Ra, MOTU and POP more or less flew under the radar of the conspiracy crazies, rage merchants and rage addicts. Since there hadn't been any new media for MOTU/POP, unlike Marvel or Star Wars, there wasn't this cottage industry of rage built around them. I could go on to twitter and youtube and bask in nostalgia or look up toy news reviews with out nary a peep from the crazies. It started to build with the She-Ra reboot and the floodgates absolutely burst open with Revelations. People that had no idea about/cared about/ridiculed MOTU before now were exploding with an all fire, all consuming, conspiratorial rage screeching politicized buzzwords to their thralls of rage addicts. To a lesser extent, like when the Bronies took over the My little Pony fandom, there's also the annoyance all of the Catra/Adora fan erotica to weed through since the She-Ra reboot.

So if you are thinking I sure wish, insert favorite old TV show or toy, gets a new movie or TV series you might want to hope they just make new merch instead and skip the reboot.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

i went and rewatched, without anyone else to distract me and i liked it. they are clearly on a hero journey. let's see what the second half of the season brings before all the vitriol

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Be careful what you wish for.

Before Revelations and the Netflix She-Ra, MOTU and POP more or less flew under the radar of the conspiracy crazies, rage merchants and rage addicts. Since there hadn't been any new media for MOTU/POP, unlike Marvel or Star Wars, there wasn't this cottage industry of rage built around them. I could go on to twitter and youtube and bask in nostalgia or look up toy news reviews with out nary a peep from the crazies. It started to build with the She-Ra reboot and the floodgates absolutely burst open with Revelations. People that had no idea about/cared about/ridiculed MOTU before now were exploding with an all fire, all consuming, conspiratorial rage screeching politicized buzzwords to their thralls of rage addicts. To a lesser extent, like when the Bronies took over the My little Pony fandom, there's also the annoyance all of the Catra/Adora fan erotica to weed through since the She-Ra reboot.

So if you are thinking I sure wish, insert favorite old TV show or toy, gets a new movie or TV series you might want to hope they just make new merch instead and skip the reboot.
        Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would WANT to revive anything nowadays. I know it seems like Hollywood can't come up with new ideas, but to have to take all this ire from "fans"...at some point it won't be worth it. And maybe the nostalgia train will finally derail, and some new concepts will actually get pushed through.

Social media has given people the false notion that they not only have the right to complain about everything, they have the venue, and many feel, THE OBLIGATION to rant and rave, and conflate and create conspiracies, ad nauseam.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would WANT to revive anything nowadays. I know it seems like Hollywood can't come up with new ideas, but to have to take all this ire from "fans"...at some point it won't be worth it. And maybe the nostalgia train will finally derail, and some new concepts will actually get pushed through.

Social media has given people the false notion that they not only have the right to complain about everything, they have the venue, and many feel, THE OBLIGATION to rant and rave, and conflate and create conspiracies, ad nauseam.

Chris
          My biggest gripe with all this new stuff is the seemingly rampant opinion that you HAVE to like everything that comes out, or else you're

A. not a "real fan"
          B. some type of "ist" or "phobe"

Maybe you just don't care for the look, story and/or tone?

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            And maybe the nostalgia train will finally derail, and some new concepts will actually get pushed through.
            I don't think new concepts will fix this problem. I think the rage merchants and crazies will just latch onto the "next big thing" whatever that turns out to be. New or old they will find something to rage about. I believe it's deeper cultural issue that had been festering in fandom that has been exaggerated by social media and there's money to be made on hate. I still think/hope they are not the majority. But they certainly are the loudest.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

My biggest gripe with all this new stuff is the seemingly rampant opinion that you HAVE to like everything that comes out, or else you're

A. not a "real fan"

There's definitely extremes on both sides. It's polarized like everything else in our society these days. If I'm entertained by something, I'm usually pretty good with it. Space Jam 2 was largely forgettable, but it was entertaining enough. I never need to see it again. But I'm not going to insist everyone love it or hate it. I'm just kind of "meh" on it, and that's fine.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by enyawd72

A. not a "real fan"

I see the opposite,especially on YouTube. You have to hate everything they hate.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                  You have to hate everything they hate.
                  Agreed, it's way, way, WAY more of that.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎