X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    Everyone who called Rey a "Mary Sue" forgot that Luke was the male equivalent. He basically had no training and was THE Force kid of all time up that point.

Chris
    Nah, Luke wasn't a male "Mary Sue" at all. He received training (as extensively as the movies' run times would accommodate) and, importantly, he suffered and sacrificed for his hard-won gains.
    (Whereas Rey was evidently good at everything from the outset and sacrificed nothing, until she temporarily died at the end of Episode IX.)

As for MOTU Revelation, it would appear that much of the backlash isn't necessarily because the story focuses on Teela, but rather that many of the male characters in the story are largely presented as ineffectual and overly deferential.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Klosterheim
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 23, 2013

The show seems pretty good.

I would just prefer they would cut back a little on bright flashes that fill the screen.

Maybe, I just notice it more because I keep the subtitles on all the time now on shows, and when something flashes it takes me out of the series, when focused on the artwork and things.

It is something different.

It is better to have it, than not have a new show in the world.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

I never got into MOTU, but got curious and watched a little both on Netflix and YouTube.

****Spoilers****

I think part of the hate directed at Kevin Smith is because he got caught in several lies during his podium presentation. One, promising He-Man as the central character, but turned out he was not. Second, killing him TWICE (first and last episode). He also made indirects stating that Netflix doesn’t care about fan angst and something about cashing his check, etc. He himself has stated that he’s one of us (nerds), but he came across as just another corporate shill. And lastly, the business with Teela, as the new lead. I don’t have a problem with a lead female character, I’m all for that, but the way He-Man was treated, like a piece of disposal trash bag, is where I took issue with. Also, when he dies, instead of Teela consoling his parents (who were grieving), she’s all mad because Prince Adam deceived her for not telling her that he was He-Man. I mean, really, what a self-centered individual. So yes for female empowerment, but no for spoiled shellfish brats. Anyway, I think He-Man is coming back in season 2, stronger than ever.
        Last edited by Hector; Jul 26, '21, 6:27 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

BTW, the animation was much improved from the original. It looked really good.
          sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
            I never got into MOTU, but got curious and watched a little both on Netflix and YouTube.

****Spoilers****

I think part of the hate directed at Kevin Smith is because he got caught in several lies during his podium presentation. One, promising He-Man as the central character, but turned out he was not. Second, killing him TWICE (first and last episode). He also made indirects stating that Netflix doesn’t care about fan angst and something about cashing his check, etc. He himself has stated that he’s one of us (nerds), but he came across as just another corporate shill. And lastly, the business with Teela, as the new lead. I don’t have a problem with a lead female character, I’m all for that, but the way He-Man was treated, like a piece of disposal trash bag, is where I took issue with. Also, when he dies, instead of Teela consoling his parents (who were grieving), she’s all mad because Prince Adam deceived her for not telling her that he was He-Man. I mean, really, what a self-centered individual. So yes for female empowerment, but no for spoiled shellfish brats. Anyway, I think He-Man is coming back in season 2, stronger than ever.
            Your assessment is spot on Hector. Both Teela and Randor acted so totally out of character. It was obvious that the writers of this show did not fully understand what they were doing. Not only does Teela not console them, she's apparently forgotten that Adam just literally sacrificed himself to save them all, and she throws a tantrum? Not the actions of a supposedly mature captain of the guards. She should have been showing a lot less attitude and a lot more gratitude. Way to honor Adam's heroism and ultimate sacrifice.

I give it a C-

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Yes, Teela shouldn't have acted as she did...but that's where the story comes in, and the redemption arc for her in many ways. Now, they could blow it, but this could all pay off. Humans rarely act as they should in extreme moments, even strong characters like Teela. I got the impression we were supposed to question the way she acted, and they are going somewhere with this.

But...maybe not!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

Prince Adam did not die the second time, he was stabbed in the back, the next story arc will be showcasing what made Adam worthy of becoming He-Man. You have to remember we only got 5 episodes, we still have at least 5 more for the rest of the season.
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                  And it's the same batch that's always bashing whatever Disney puts out. Be it Star Wars or Marvel.
                  The rage merchants on youtube and social media have cultivated quite an audience and know them well. They know the audience they've groomed is addicted to being angry, need their fix and know exactly what buzz words to use to set them off. Their audience then goes out and floods social media parroting the same buzz words spreading the venom looking for more converts to earn the rage merchants more clicks and add revenue. All this has caused a large portion of online fandom has become a cesspool of mindless rage looking for and needing someone and something to hate. On the bright side, I don't think they are the majority just the loudest.

It's okay not to like something. I didn't like Thundercats Roar. But hating it didn't become my reason for being and I didn't waste my time or energy going on lengthy hysterical tirades screaming buzzwords or how the show ruining my childhood. That's not normal, healthy or a productive use of my time. Sometimes something just sucks and life goes on. When we hate everything we also lose the ability to legitimately critique something. Another downside is they are going to find out when a group hates everything with an all consuming rage they are not going to be catered to anymore and we wont see movies, cartoons and toys based on properties we like.

My thoughts on Revelation. As expected it's a little too dark for my personal tastes but otherwise it's fine. Certainly nothing to get upset over.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Rage Merchants do good business, there are several channels that seem to hate everything being made right now. They're bigger than I'll ever be.

I don't currently like the direction of Doctor Who but I don't see the appeal of watching some miserable prat doing a two-hour live stream ranting about "Feminist Agenda". That's not entertaining to me. I guess it's confirmation bias, I don't know. I can watch someone break down why the writing doesn't work or how the characterization is poor because it makes me think but I don't want to hear the same tired buzzwords I hear in Political videos.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                      Rage Merchants do good business, there are several channels that seem to hate everything being made right now. They're bigger than I'll ever be.

I don't currently like the direction of Doctor Who but I don't see the appeal of watching some miserable prat doing a two-hour live stream ranting about "Feminist Agenda". That's not entertaining to me. I guess it's confirmation bias, I don't know. I can watch someone break down why the writing doesn't work or how the characterization is poor because it makes me think but I don't want to hear the same tired buzzwords I hear in Political videos.
                      All good points. I'm kind of indifferent to it. I don't like the direction of it, nor the characterizations. I think a better storyline would have been for Skeletor to defeat He-Man, become Skelegod, then spend the rest of the series with Adam having to become a true hero on his own without the power of Grayskull to rely on.

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
                        All good points. I'm kind of indifferent to it. I don't like the direction of it, nor the characterizations. I think a better storyline would have been for Skeletor to defeat He-Man, become Skelegod, then spend the rest of the series with Adam having to become a true hero on his own without the power of Grayskull to rely on.
                        Yeah, and those are valid issues, it's a shame that it's so rare to hear clarity from the show's detractors. From what I hear the show may still redeem itself in the long run but made a weird choice to split a season.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                          Often invisible
                          • Jul 18, 2002

I’m 3 episodes in, and it’s fine. I’m fine with the story and actually was thinking I probably would have liked this type of story for the third Star Wars trilogy. I like the meta commentary on the idea of the old adventures being in the past and that the world had moved on. That’s what has my interest, but I’m probably only around the second act.

If I have any complaints, it’s about how they handled the color and lighting of the show. I find the shadows on the characters to be too heavy. I also don’t like that they didn’t change the color on the characters depending upon the situation. They’re lit the same whether they’re out in broad sunlight, down in a cave, or in some characters lair. It really kills the mood. But then, maybe they were trying to harken back to the look of the original series and kept the lighting the same on purpose.
                          Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Jul 26, '21, 1:12 PM.
                          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                            I’m 3 episodes in, and it’s fine. I’m fine with the story and actually was thinking I probably would have liked this type of story for the third Star Wars trilogy. I like the meta commentary on the idea of the old adventures being in the past and that the world had moved on. That’s what has my interest, but I’m probably only around the second act.

If I have any complaints, it’s about how the handled the color and lighting of the show. I find the shadows on the characters to be too heavy. I also don’t like that they didn’t change the color on the characters depending upon the situation. They’re lit the same whether they’re out in broad sunlight, down in a cave, or in some characters lair. It really kills the mood. But then, maybe they were trying to harken back to the look of the original series and kept the lighting the same on purpose.
                            I guess my hang-up is I don't feel the super-serious tone works for He-Man. It's hard to accept life or death drama in a world where you have a bumblebee man named Buzz Off, a lobster man named Clawful, etc. etc.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                              Often invisible
                              • Jul 18, 2002

I’m the opposite. I never liked that they were treated as buffoons on the Filmation cartoon. I always wanted them to be taken seriously.
                              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

^Agreed. I love the Filmation show...but for me it really filed the teeth down on the mini-comics version I had already extrapolated in my young mine. This has that "EPIC!!!" feel to it that the adventures had in my own head.

I was talking with the owner of my LCS, and he wondered why they didn't just use Alan Oppenheimer as the voice of Skeletor again, since he was there for Moss Man... and Hamill was definitely channeling his Joker. But I figured maybe they didn't want to recall how much of a boob Skeletor came across as, since they wanted to up the character's game. And I say that with all the love for Oppenheimer's wonderful Skeletor. But back then, they had to make ALL the major villains somewhat goofy and ineffectual to get things past the sensors.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎