X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Netflix MOTU Revelations

Well I watched the first 5 episode and it is a mix between classic & 2000. It is very heavy on Teela & Evil-Lyn. Since this is done by Kevin Smith he can finally reveal his fan-fic of the Women on MOTU. I like it when the went to the afterlife and showcased the past warriors of Eternia. I did like the story the Evil-Lynn was on but at the end of episode 5 if made NO SENSE!!

To be truthful I do not know I will be back for more. I found it confusing much like KS writing has gotten.

I finally figured out what bothered me about Evil-Lyns story, it fits in the battered wife syndrome. Lyn spends the majority of the time complaining about be under Skeletor's abusive control, realizing that now that he gone she was more powerful than he was the whole time. Then when he comes back she goes back to him thus the whole self-empowered story line was wasted. This story line is lazy writing but bothers me because I have a family members who are battered wives who break free but keep going back.
    Last edited by monitor_ep; Jul 24, '21, 5:22 AM.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • zeedox
    Career Member
    • Aug 10, 2007

They left off the last bit of wisdom:

"He-Man here. In today's story, Showbusiness took another wrong turn in trying to change the original intentions of what was created years ago. Revising some things for a new audience can be engaging and thrilling, but keeping the essence is just as important. I'll see you next time, thanks for listening."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I intended to just sample one episode last night, and my wife and daughter and I watched all five. We really enjoyed it!!!

The story has taken a lot of swerves already. I'm not sure Evil-Lynn's heel turn is so cut and dry. She may have seen the only way to stop Skeletor is to get next to him. He'd never suspect her of betraying him at this point.

If that's not the case...then yeah, that's a problem. But unfortunately its true that a lot of people just can't turn against their nature, and/or break that cycle. And maybe Lynn's story is meant to further empower Teela to be more self-reliant and not give into the fears of being who everyone assumes she is, when deep down she knows she's something more. That could lead to her finally becoming the Sorceress, which of course they have heavily hinted will happen.

Of course, I also hope another shocking last minute act is undone too!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

the show is getting destroyed online.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

This is a great article about just how Kevin Smith reworked the new cartoon by adding sections for all forms of MOTU: classic mini-comics, original cartoon, 2000 cartoon, even the live action movie.
          Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

the show is getting destroyed online.
            What doesn't get destroyed online? And if there's blood in the water, the sharks come out to get the click bait.

I'm not saying it's great, but I, and the rest of my family found it entertaining. It's "aged up" but still relatively appropriate for younger viewers. And no one has peed themselves yet.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

I just read an article about Chris Wood who voiced Adam/He-Man and when the series returns it will be discovering why Prince Adam was chosen to become He-Man. So like the first 5 episodes where about Teela (who was in EVERY episode of the original).

Now the series was nicely done, just the Evil-Lyn at the end was the problem for me.
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                What doesn't get destroyed online? And if there's blood in the water, the sharks come out to get the click bait.
                Yep, just like clockwork the rage merchants and rage addicts come out.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  Yeah, I have no dog in this fight but from what I've read, most of the complainers sound like children to me. No one seems to be able to make their case without hurling unimaginative, inflammatory buzz words and insults around. As my daughter likes to say "Use your words".
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• mego
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 16, 2012

I can’t figure out all the strange complaints. I’ve watched 4 episodes and I’m digging it.
                    Anybody complaining about the writing certainty isn’t holding the original cartoon to the same standards.
                    Welcome back MOTU, and welcome aboard Kevin Smith!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

well, i will say this, i had not seen my great nephew for his birthday last month but i bought him Skeletor and the Prince Adam/Skysled set and gave them to him this weekend and we watched the new cartoon as he had no idea who the characters were. He was totally captivated by it. He's 6. the perfect age to be introduced to MOTU

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

Of course there are complaints being bandied about because Teela is the lead...but so what? Teela was an underdeveloped (they all were) but well-liked character that both boys and girls liked. Telling the story from her perspective is, ya know, actually interesting, and somewhat literate. The show acknowledges that in this take, all those classic stories took place...and this is where it all lead to. If you hate this...go back and watch the Filmation show. It's still there, and you can tell yourself this ISN'T in your head canon for how things went.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by Werewolf
                          And it's the same batch that's always bashing whatever Disney puts out. Be it Star Wars or Marvel.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

And it's the same batch that's always bashing whatever Disney puts out. Be it Star Wars or Marvel.
                            And a lot of them scream "WOKE!" because they dare to spotlight the female characters. Well, guess what? We're coming out of hundreds of years of male-dominated entertainment. A little female perspective or spotlight isn't going to kill anyone. Everyone who called Rey a "Mary Sue" forgot that Luke was the male equivalent. He basically had no training and was THE Force kid of all time up that point.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

I don't have Netflix, so I will not see (nor collect) the new series. But I'm not against it at all, MOTU for me is not some golden idol from Filmation, I never got into that show except for admiring some of the voice work and superficial elements. I collected original MOTU for the love of the toys themselves, I was much older than the target demographic back then.

Personally, I enjoyed the 2002 series. If the new show is well-done, with good characters and storylines, and finds an audience--that's great. If not, the fans can forsake and forget it. MOTU can come in a few flavors for all sorts of fans--Star Trek has.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎