X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

5 Awesome Things on eBay this Week- Plaid Stallions

5 Awesome Things on eBay this Week Grizzly Adams Halloween Costume If anything is a testament to the fact that we had three networks (though growing up in Canada we had our own programs that didn’t warrant merchandise) is the fact that we got Grizzly Adams merchandise. To be fair, the show about a man […]
    The post 5 Awesome Things on eBay this Week- Plaid Stallions appeared first on PS.

More...
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

I am convinced that somewhere someone will find a prototype Porky's movie magic slate and Viewmaster set.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Yeah, I still don't get all the Walton's toys and merchandise aimed at kids. Yes, it's a well written and acted adult drama but stories of grinding poverty in rural America doesn't exactly lend itself to fun escapism play for kids.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Between the two of them, I would say Little House on the Prairie had more kid appeal potential, but there seems to be far less merchandise. I wonder why?

Having witnessed the epic battle between the Green Goblin and Spider-Man that took place at Hill's department store in Lexington, KY in 1980, I can vouch for how impressive ol' Gobby was in person! He scared the pants off of me!!!

Was that Tarzan puppet made by the same folks who did the Superman/Clark Kent puppet with Clark's suit printed on one side, and Superman's uniform on the other? And it came with hat and glasses?

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• tay666
          Career Member
          • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
          Yeah, I still don't get all the Walton's toys and merchandise aimed at kids. Yes, it's a well written and acted adult drama but stories of grinding poverty in rural America doesn't exactly lend itself to fun escapism play for kids.
          I never once wanted to reenact anything from the Waltons when I was a kid.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I've never found the show dreary, but as a kid I never wanted Walton's merchandise, either.

I appreciate the acknowledgement, Brian--I think lol. Is it fame or infamy? Should I admit instead I'd buy a Murdoch Mego now, and I also like Wind At My Back?
            Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 16, '21, 7:53 PM.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I'm envious that you saw GG and Spidey, Chris. I was a bit goblin-obsessed as a child. So they were travelling performers with a choreographed fight?
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

that's so cool. i didn't know Goblin did appearances. i hope you have some photos for your book Brian

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

I love the Tarzan puppet, if I had seen that in the toy aisle back in the day, it would have been mine.
                  Goblin in person? I would have been terrified, did they sign pictures or just do a meet and greet with the kids?
                  Walton’s merchandise was more popular with the girls, a lot of families watched that show and related to it, well written wholesome family entertainment, no swearing, no sex, no violence.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I'm envious that you saw GG and Spidey, Chris. I was a bit goblin-obsessed as a child. So they were travelling performers with a choreographed fight?
                    I suppose so. Brian would probably know much more about how Marvel sent folks out, but they were definitely the official versions of the characters. What I remember most about the show they put on at Hills in Lexington KY was:

1. Green Goblin came out first. He was skulking around behind the crowd of people, then entered in, and made some kind of threatening statement.

2. Spider-Man leaped out of nowhere to face him. At one point in their battle, Spider-Man did a backflip and landed on one of those circular clothing racks. Yes, it blew my young mind. My Dad has confirmed this did indeed happen as I remembered it. He was impressed too.

3. After the fight/show, both signed autographs. Spider-Man's pen ran out, and and he asked if anyone had a pen he could borrow. My Mom handed me one from her purse, and I ran up to him and handed it to him. He took one look at it, and gave me a "Really kid?" look through his mask, with a head-tilt even. The pen was a Batman pen my Mom had just bought for me a few days before at a lock at gas station/quick mart!

4. Spidey gave me pen back later, but for years I kind of thought Spider-Man was mad at me for liking Batman.

5. I bought a Buddy L die-cast Spider-Man vehicle set that day: Car, copter, van and motorcycle (with rubbery Spidey figure attached). These same vehicles would be reissued 4 years later in Secret Wars packaging.
                    sigpic

Comment

• rche
                      channeling Bob Wills
                      • Mar 26, 2008

I know of Vicma from their Euro Sesame Street gang. They had some marvelous puppets for that line and the head on Tarzan looks pretty seriously grim and good. Very cool stuff.

Comment

• msenger76
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 3, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        and I also like Wind At My Back?
                        Once at Disneyland we sat in a booth next to Nia Vardalos, Ian Gomez and Kathryn Greenwood. My wife was very excited to know "the girl from Wind at My Back" and i had no idea what she was talking about

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Grace! I've thought about getting the series on dvd, I haven't seen it in at least a decade.

Comment

• Makernaut
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

3. After the fight/show, both signed autographs. Spider-Man's pen ran out, and and he asked if anyone had a pen he could borrow. My Mom handed me one from her purse, and I ran up to him and handed it to him. He took one look at it, and gave me a "Really kid?" look through his mask, with a head-tilt even. The pen was a Batman pen my Mom had just bought for me a few days before at a lock at gas station/quick mart!

4. Spidey gave me pen back later, but for years I kind of thought Spider-Man was mad at me for liking Batman.
                            Reading stuff like this is why I love visiting this Community.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎