X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Movie moments that scare me now, more than ever

I watch a lot of old genre movies over and over, more than new films. So often, in fact, that I will focus on the scoring, costuming, or production minutiae during a viewing. And then suddenly I'm caught-off guard and really hit--Pow!--emotionally by a scene or line or bit of business I've seen literally a dozen times:

*The transporter accident in Star Trek: TMP

*The Monster gesturing after the drowned girl in Frankenstein

*Katherine's rebuke of her father in The Heiress

*Erik exhorting Christine after his unmasking in The Phantom of the Opera (1925)

*Singing La Marseillaise in Rick's Bar, Casablanca

*Quasimodo's crowning as King of fools in The Hunchback of Notre-Dame (1939)

*Hanging up the shirts in Brokeback Mountain

And others. What movie moments grab and disarm you?
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jul 13, '21, 7:34 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

When Quint dies in JAWS now scares me more than it ever did. Maybe it's the clear sound we have now on the Blu Ray. Just brutal.

Nosferatu still unnerves me. When he just rises up out of the coffin...it's like found footage of a real vampire. It is still amazingly effective.

No matter how many times I've seen it, the sudden appearance of the little girl puking in the tent in The Sixth Sense STILL makes me jump, even though I know it's coming, and that the poor thing isn't really scary. I still recall a theater full of young girls screaming at that moment, and my own wife raking her nails into my leg. I wish I hadn't worn shorts that night!!!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Gad, you are spot-on about Nosferatu.

Perhaps "scare" (for me) was a poor title choice. More usually for me it's poignancy or a visceral reaction, not fear.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

The little wooden Zuni Warrior doll attack scene and aftermath in Trilogy of Terror still gives me chills. When Karen Black becomes possessed after her ordeal, rips the bolt of the front door, then starts pacing back and forth waiting for her mother, she crouches and starts stabbing the floor with the knife…and just before she demonically smiles with those creepy Zuni Warrior teeth, for the love of gawd, I always close my eyes…yes, even to this day…

sigpic

Comment

• Liu Bei
          Banned
          • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I watch a lot of old genre movies over and over, more than new films. So often, in fact, that I will focus on the scoring, costuming, or production minutiae during a viewing. And then suddenly I'm caught-off guard and really hit--Pow!--emotionally by a scene or line or bit of business I've seen literally a dozen times:

*The transporter accident in Star Trek: TMP

*The Monster gesturing after the drowned girl in Frankenstein

*Katherine's rebuke of her father in The Heiress

*Erik exhorting Christine after his unmasking in The Phantom of the Opera (1925)

*Singing La Marseillaise in Rick's Bar, Casablanca

*Quasimodo's crowning as King of fools in The Hunchback of Notre-Dame (1939)

*Hanging up the shirts in Brokeback Mountain

And others. What movie moments grab and disarm you?
          The most unnerving scene I think, for me, was Sissy Spacek’s last scene in ‘night, Mother. It’s the most unnerving, unsettling, gut-wrenching, frustrating, infuriating, heartbreaking scene ever put on film, in my opinion. I’ll never watch that movie again.

Comment

• Goblin19
            Talkative Member
            • May 2, 2002

Casablanca’s La Marseilles scene is my favorite scene in movie history.

As far as scenes that creep me out, haunt me, or bother me more as an adult.
            Quint’s death is right at the top for me too. It’s a horrible death scene for a great character.
            Michael Myers little tilt of his head after he kills the kid who is stuck to the wall. The calmness is very chilling to me.
            The scene that gets me the most is the scene in Glory where they are all singing together right before the final battle where most of them die.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

"The Wicker Man"
              I had no idea where the film was going, and was genuinely caught as off guard as Edward Woodward's character. It's horrifying on so many levels.

"The Fly" Jeff Goldblum's physical deterioration gets me every time.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                Banned
                • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by enyawd72
                "The Wicker Man"
                I had no idea where the film was going, and was genuinely caught as off guard as Edward Woodward's character. It's horrifying on so many levels.

"The Fly" Jeff Goldblum's physical deterioration gets me every time.
                Did you see the Wicker Man director’s cut? Great movie made even better. The lost footage is not on great shape, but it makes the movie better, no doubt.

Christopher Lee was the man.

Comment

• drquest
                  ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                  • Apr 17, 2012

The OG Salem's Lot...

The Vampire for sure, but Danny Glick floating outside the window wanting to come in.... wow
                  Danny(Drquest)
                  Captain Action HQ
                  Retro shirts and stuff
                  More retro shirts
                  Stuff For Sale

Comment

• J.B.
                    Guild Navigator
                    • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by drquest
                    Danny Glick floating outside the window wanting to come in.... wow
                    This..
                    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

As a kid, that scared me more than anything.

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

Godzilla step smashing on Bambi.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Curse of the Demon (1957) (puppet itself)

WPIX Chiller Theatre 6 fingered hand (always had an uncanny valley vibe to me)

March of the Wooden Soldiers … The end when the boagie-men are falling in the water being eating by the gators … My young liberal mind, even back then was "did Toyland really need to kill them?"
                          As a matter of fact, the entire movie was creepy -- Ollie and Stan eating the sausage that MIGHT have been made from their friend... etc

Mommy Dearest --- hard to imagine Joan Crawford could be so rotten to that girl
                          Last edited by Mikey; Jul 15, '21, 6:02 AM.

Comment

• ToyTalk
                            Career Member
                            • Mar 25, 2020

The first Alien movie took me 3 times of watching it as a kid before I could finally get through it. Still creeps me out a bit
                            The shining, just the whole movie
                            Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• Goblin19
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 2, 2002

I think the most anxiety filled moment in movie history is Tom Skerritt in the duct/tunnel in Alien when you can know the Alien is there but he can’t find it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎