The Rocketeer - Improved

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PB
    • Jul 2, 2021

The included pants were a little too dark and shaped more like Action Jackson’s fishing overalls when compared to the movie costume. That and they aren’t pants at all, more like long shorts just barely reaching below the top of the CHIPS boots.

Finally a use for that MEGO Richie. His tan pants were just baggy enough to work with and I was able to sew a more accurate flare into them.

If I make my own jacket, the MEGO Rocketeer won’t even be needed to create this custom.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Those look great!

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

Loving this! Looks great, so far.

Comment

• PB
          • Jul 2, 2021

Still plenty of time for me to completely ruin the jacket ha!

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

great job, that is what the Mego's pants should have looked like. the Cut offs were a complete turn off for me and a no sale.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PB
              • Jul 2, 2021

The Rocketeer has always been a favorite so I was an easy target. But I agree, MEGO likely could have done a little better without much extra cost on their end.

Meanwhile a 3.75” ReAction Doc Brown is 17.99 retail so I would still have to concede I got my money’s worth on the Rocketeer.

Comment

• danadoll
                Micronaut Nut!
                • Apr 11, 2005

This figure is looking amazing! You're doing a fantastic job on him, PB.

Dana
                "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• PB
                  • Jul 2, 2021

Thanks!

After removing the Velcro at the back there are still tiny holes apparent in the vinyl. I will be modifying the jacket further but not reversing the jacket and moving the flap.

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

Wow great looking figure, nice job fixing him up.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 19, 2019

You think the helmet would fit over the CCTV S-type head? It looks similar to the actor.
                      Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• PB
                        • Jul 2, 2021

I hadn’t considered that, thanks. The face is pretty good and it would be easy to build on the haircut to look like Campbell’s in the movie. Are the CCTV heads soft like Megos vinyl?

Comment

• KingKickass1983
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by PB
                          I hadn’t considered that, thanks. The face is pretty good and it would be easy to build on the haircut to look like Campbell’s in the movie. Are the CCTV heads soft like Megos vinyl?
                          No they are not, unfortunately.

The S-type heads are solid plastic.
                          Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Much better! I didn't buy him because of the Romulan boots...thought he should have had the Chips boots you used.
                            sigpic

Comment

• ddgaff1132
                              Persistent Member
                              • Oct 3, 2007

Funny thing is I had gone the same route. I found the applause figure years back and started piecing a Rocketeer too.
                              I used the Head and jetpack from the vinyl figure. Later found riding pants from a Barbie figure, Then found a leather jacket from an unknown figure or doll at Goodwill. The boots I used were CTVT. I was trying to figure how to mount the jetpack when the Mego version
                              came out. But thanks for the idea of using magnets to attach the jetpack. I think I'll do that just to finish the figure off. ;D
                              Check out my picture library of Mego-ish compatible vehicles with ID data.
                              MEGO MOTORS

Comment

• PB
                                • Jul 2, 2021

I know right, the Applause figure is perfect for an 8” custom. I opened another mego to shorten the jacket and add the point on the bottom of the flap but wow the vinyl is difficult to sew.

Magnets work fine for display but how much better would the jet pack be with a proper harness and handheld activation button.

I had another disappointing order come in from everyone’s favorite Florida warehouse. Picked up the brown glove hands and was considering placing an order with Dr Mego next time for proper brown boots. The website explains he will cast them in any color. But if they are cast, how is the durability?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎