Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PB
    • Jul 2, 2021

The Rocketeer - Improved

I confess I do not keep up with new MEGO releases. So it was a complete surprise to find a Rocketeer laying derelict on an end-cap while I was braving retail. Out of the package, it’s great. But I can’t help myself.

Using a broken CHIPS figure, I replaced the hands with proper black gloves. An improvement for sure but I eventually decided on the CTVT black gloved hands instead, as the right hand seems purpose built to hold a pistol. The vintage ‘police’ boots were also a better match to the film costume when compared to the black Romulan boots. The short pilot pants are still long enough to tuck inside.

But when he stands next to any figure with a human head, you start to wonder how Cliff could possibly get his head inside of that tiny helmet. And when he’s standing there, you can hardly see the beautiful X-3 jet pack because it is undersized and attaches with only a black band.

So I reached for an old yard sale find, the Applause 12” vinyl Rocketeer statue. Although unseen with the jacket on, even the flesh tone of the neck was a good match for the body. I was able trim the neck post down and invert so no adaptor needed for the modern MEGO head peg. What’s more is that the jet pack is the perfect size and now magnets replace the awful rubber band.

I may take this further but for now I am happy with the results. Adding a vintage MEGO revolver looks good, but I’d still like to find a correctly scaled Mauser.

• PB
    • Jul 2, 2021

I decided to add some 3mm/.125” nail heads. They are the hot melt type but I am using a drop of glue because of the vinyl.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

That's looking better.

Comment

• PB
        • Jul 2, 2021

Thanks. I am happy with the look, maybe how it would have been done if a MEGO of the era existed.

I removed the Velcro for snaps and now I am debating modifying the jacket by adding a point at the bottom of the flap. This would also require shortening the jacket, which is too long anyway. But would also add the opportunity for a new way to mount the jet pack.
        Last edited by PB; Jul 10, '21, 4:16 PM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

Was it a 12" figure from Applause, or the 9" one? I looked on ebay and the tallest one I found was nine inches. It seems like pieces from a twelve inch figure would be way too large.

Comment

• PB
            • Jul 2, 2021

You’re right he was more like 9” I didn’t see the picture before. That is the same one I used.
            Last edited by PB; Jul 10, '21, 10:24 PM.

Comment

• PB
              • Jul 2, 2021

Only thing I don’t like about the Applause head is that in profile the front of the helmet should extend further down. But hey the size is good and is has that squish.

Comment

• PB
                • Jul 2, 2021

There’s a pretty nice vinyl statue kit out there I had considered adding to a long list of unfinished projects.

Probably my favorite MEGO now.
                Last edited by PB; Jul 10, '21, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

You can open up the bottom of that helmet and use it as an actual helmet on a slightly smaller mego head. I know it will fit over the old Bruce Wayne head
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PB
                    • Jul 2, 2021

You know I almost did that, I intended on using the chin strap from CTVT police helmet but the quality is poor. I’d really like to have a good Bill Campbell likeness, and considered modifying the new Happy Days Richie.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by PB
                      You know I almost did that, I intended on using the chin strap from CTVT police helmet but the quality is poor. I’d really like to have a good Bill Campbell likeness, and considered modifying the new Happy Days Richie.
                      there's a Famous Covers XMen evolution Cyclops that would work for Campbell
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PB
                        • Jul 2, 2021

Really appreciate that tip but just a little bit too cartoonish for the final look I’m after. Maybe I could just use his haircut.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

I think with a little paint work that the head would work. Not sure if it would fit in the helmet though.

Comment

• PB
                            • Jul 2, 2021

I know other companies of the era like LJN and Tomland did similarly scaled figures. Are there any others to source heads from? Not trying to scrap any valuable vintage but my goal is to keep this looking like it could be a production toy.

A local shop has the new Captain Pike and at a glance sort of looks like Campbell. But that noggin and hair isn’t going fit inside the helmet. I had planned to use the Lion Rock War Hero Pilot head for now, but didn’t know those figures were smaller until my order arrived. The factory MEGO Rocketeer head and jet pack are actually sized correctly for that figure so maybe there is a second slightly smaller custom Rocketeer in this project.

Comment

• PB
                              • Jul 2, 2021

New revelations on jacket modification. If the flap is removed and the jacket reversed, now it has the split at the front like in the film. Taking a little length out of it will be easier, as will adding a point to the bottom of the flap like in the movie. Maybe I’ll be wasting my time for a very small aesthetic improvement.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎