Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doom Patrol Robotman WIP (and newbie question)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zonedweeby
    • Mar 2, 2019

Doom Patrol Robotman WIP (and newbie question)

Hi, everybody. I'm just getting into Mego, and I was able to buy a really good Robotman resin headcast on eBay, but as you can see, he's got too much neck on a modern Mego body (with the body's neck peg cut off so it's flush). The head came with a sort of plug adapter attached -- nothing exotic, I'm sure it's a standard thing y'all deal with all the time -- that would have socketed into the chest, but I'm unfamiliar with the different Mego-style bodies and how their necks work.

My question is, is there a body type that this neck will work with (like an FTC Type S or whatever), or am I gonna have to saw the poor guy?

Thanks for looking!

(edit - sorry, I know it's poor etiquette for your first post to be a new thread, but I thought for sure I'd posted here! I guess I was just lurking and thinking comments to myself )
    Last edited by zonedweeby; Jul 7, '21, 10:18 PM.
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

First, welcome! I used to "just lurk and think comments to myself" too, so I know exactly what you are talking about... although now they can't shut me up. lol Trust me, the conversations are even better when you actually have them!

Second, nice choice for a custom. Robotman is awesome and that is a nice looking head sculpt. I can almost hear Brendan Fraser's cursing.

Third, and to get to the heart of your question... When Mego relaunched, it modified its bodies to have a peg on the body and the head has a hole the peg fits into. Vintage Mego bodies (and most Mego-like bodies, old and new, such as the Type S you mentioned) have a hole at the neck, and the head has a "plug" at the bottom that it fits in. So the first thing would be making sure you are using the right type of body for your headcast. Even then, while factory heads are soft rotocast vinyl that you can "squeeze" into the hole, resin is hard... so even if you are using a body that has a head hole, you will probably need to sand down the neck plug to the proper diameter for the body. I recommend using a tool like a Dremel. Lastly, some bodies (such as the Type S) have internal components that limit the depth for a neck plug. So if your plug part of the head is too long, you may need to foreshorten it with certain bodies.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Comment

• zonedweeby
      • Mar 2, 2019

Thank you very much for the welcome and the information, sprytel! That really helps. Now I have a plan to move forward! Thanks again.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

I think the neck is fine for the character, makes him look more robot-y.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• zonedweeby
          • Mar 2, 2019

Thanks for your feedback, Thunderbolt!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍