• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KingKickass1983
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2019

When does it stop counting as a Mego?

So, I'm curious.

I'm fairly new to Mego and mego customizing. And have been looking through all the great customs here for inspiration.

I've seen folks utilizing parts and bodies from other toy lines other then Mego parts.

My question, When does it stop being a Mego? Or is Mego just a general term we use to describe 8 inch tall figures with soft goods costumes?
    Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

Mego is only product made by Mego. otherwise it can be Mego-like

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

Custom Mego as a term and idea seems reasonable and well understood here… making things never made, re-envisioning of characters, stylized design, maker techniques, new materials and technologies. At it's core, it's toy-making with the inspiration and influence of Mego as a brand.

Some folks go for a perceived purity in parts/design, some push concepts into the modern era, and all sorts of hybrids make for interesting builds. I don't think anyone is too judgemental otherwise, rather creativity and the fun of it all is celebrated.

Comment

• imlaughing2death
        • Jul 20, 2020

The Mego of Theseus: If you replace every part of a Mego with a different piece, is it still a Mego?

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Not if you mix vintage and repro--IMO. But with customs, anything goes--be creative!!
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by KingKickass1983
            My question, When does it stop being a Mego? Or is Mego just a general term we use to describe 8 inch tall figures with soft goods costumes?

Just speaking for myself, but I think to be considered a custom Mego, it has to at least be on an authentic Mego body (be it vintage or from the new versions)... The heads can be resin, or modified from other lines, etc., but at the heart of it, I'd say a good start is with an actual Mego body as the base. After that, go crazy with parts from other lines, custom clothes/accessories, or whatever and you're good to go.

An original Mego head on let's say a CTVT body, I suppose it could be seen as a custom Mego, since it'd be authentic product, but that's a bit of a stretch to me.

Again, just my opinion, but anything that doesn't start with an actual Mego item (preferably a body) is Mego-esque or Mego-like, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Comment

• KingKickass1983
              Career Member
              • Jan 19, 2019

Originally posted by apes3978
              Just speaking for myself, but I think to be considered a custom Mego, it has to at least be on an authentic Mego body (be it vintage or from the new versions)... The heads can be resin, or modified from other lines, etc., but at the heart of it, I'd say a good start is with an actual Mego body as the base. After that, go crazy with parts from other lines, custom clothes/accessories, or whatever and you're good to go.

An original Mego head on let's say a CTVT body, I suppose it could be seen as a custom Mego, since it'd be authentic product, but that's a bit of a stretch to me.

Again, just my opinion, but anything that doesn't start with an actual Mego item (preferably a body) is Mego-esque or Mego-like, and there's nothing wrong with that.
              The subject popped into my head again..

so, if I were to take the head off of say....a CTVT body...and put it on an official Mego body, that makes it a custom Mego?
              Wanted:

Diamond select Spider-man hands. Long shot, I know...but ya never know..

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

I also agree with the term Custom Mego. But for me, it has to be 8" Mego scale. If you use say a Famous Covers figure, or the DC 9" body...it's neither a "Custom Mego", or "Mego-like"...IMO.
                sigpic

Comment

• apes3978
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by KingKickass1983
                  The subject popped into my head again..

so, if I were to take the head off of say....a CTVT body...and put it on an official Mego body, that makes it a custom Mego?
                  In my opinion, yes, a CTVT head on an original/authentic Mego body would make it a custom Mego.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

I mean this is all subject to opinion of course and certainly Mego would claim ownership of the name Mego...

But the reality is, to many people, 8 inch figures in this style are all considered "Mego". Sort of like the genericization of other things like Thermos (which people use to refer to all insulated mugs even though Thermos is just a brand of that item) or Kleenex.

Call whatever you want Mego. Certainly CTVT has made some "Mego" stuff that's more "Mego" in spirit than actual NuMego is. Don't get bogged down in other people's perceptions or the minutia.

If you're using it as a generic term, you're fine.

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

In my eyes, if it is specifically made to go with my Mego figures, it's a Custom Mego. THere are things Mego didn't make. THere's no 2.5" super hero type Mego figure to make the Atom out of. There was no Mego skinny body for a General Immortus. But if I use those things to specifically make characters to go with my customs made from actual Megos, I feel they count. Mego made odd figures like the Munchkins with all new body types because existing ones wouldn't have worked. Some customizers just continue that tradition. If it's specifically intended to go with your Megos, I count it.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎