X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Kenner Duke the Super Action Dog 1975 Catalog – Plaid Stallions

Kenner Duke the Super Action Dog Catalog Before becoming a true 70’s juggernaut with lines like “Star Wars” and the “Six Million Dollar Man”, Kenner was more experimental with their action figure branding, often creating fun generic lines such as Steve Scout and Duke The Super ActionDog. Duke was a German shepherd (the go-to dog […]
    The post Kenner Duke the Super Action Dog 1975 Catalog – Plaid Stallions appeared first on PS.

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I had no idea this line ever existed until seeing it in the big Tomart's Action Figure guide in the early 90s. I don't think I've ever ran across Duke in the wild either. But it does look like a solid figure, and I agree that Kenner took some chances with lines like this. That's how they landed Star Wars!

I was thinking Kenner may have used Duke as the basis for Max the Bionic Dog, but it looks like they never made it? Plenty of custom boxes and repaints to make Duke into Max, though.

Chris
    Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Jul 1, '21, 10:48 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

Growing up I thought this was Max from Bionic Man/Bionic Woman, love the base. I just didn't get any of them due to the fact that they didn't fit in with any of my lineup.

Kenner Duke.jpgKenner Duke 4.jpgKenner Duke 2.jpgKenner Duke 3.jpg
      Last edited by monitor_ep; Jul 12, '21, 3:02 PM.
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Action Dog looks supercool!… seems like fun crossover with the Henshin Cyborg beasts too!

Comment

• scott metzger
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 9, 2007

Yup, he was Max, the Bionic Dog for me (after filling in for Scooby Doo for a while). Still is, actually; he's out in the display with the rest of the bionic crew (though he does need a little paint touch up here and there). A really good idea offering a dog in scale with GI Joes at that time, though he may not have still been on the shelves save on closeout when Max first appeared on the Bionic Woman. A little surprised Kenner didn't dig out the mold to make Max, though, in their Bionic Woman line; all he would have needed was maybe a modified leg with a bionic panel. He already had a "Bioinc Grip" spring loaded mouth. He is still perfect for that role, though. I only got him and the rescue unit; I recall seeing the HQ, but never got it as I didn't really use Duke as, well, Duke.
          Last edited by scott metzger; Jul 12, '21, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Getting flashbacks of a 70's Sat morning kids TV show called, "Run, Joe, Run" starring a German Shep

Shep's were crazy popular in the media around that time --- I think it was partially to combat the early 70's stories about Sheps turning on their handlers

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

I had one!!
              sigpic

Comment

• powersthatbe
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 27, 2010

I remember the ads in the comic books. I wouldn't have minded having him to go with steve austin or big jim( and there was scooby doo and dynomutt at the time). And as mentioned the run joe run series.(actually i think i meant rin tin tin)
                Last edited by powersthatbe; Jul 26, '21, 9:20 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I would really like one now for a Joe AT mascot, but ebay is $$.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Valor
                    • Aug 25, 2017

Ten or more years ago, scammers made big $ on eBay passing this off as a Max the Bionic Dog prototype that never went into production.

Comment

• RonnyG
                      Career Member
                      • Apr 23, 2014

I vaguely remember Duke. He didn't impress me much. I probably would've been more inclined to buy a dog toy line if it was Lassie! Now that was one beautiful dog! I'll have to google, but I don't know if they made many Lassie toys??? As far as animals, I had Tonto's poseable horse, Scout, from Marx's Lone Ranger line. Loved him! He was really articulated. I also had the elephant, and tiger, and gorilla from Marx's Safari Adventure line, but they weren't very articulated.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

Yes RonnyG there were not alot of Lassie items as one would think:

Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Falstaff13
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 28, 2008

Gabriel (who made the Lone Ranger line) had a Lassie line that was well made but had fairly limited release. It just got swallowed by bigger lines at the time.
                          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• apes3978
                            Permanent Member
                            • Nov 19, 2005

I owned Duke, as well as a Lassie-I used to use them with the Johnny West/Best of the West lines...

Comment

• RonnyG
                              Career Member
                              • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                              Yes RonnyG there were not alot of Lassie items as one would think:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/220/i.html?...0&_nkw=Lassie+
                              Thank you! I do remember seeing Lassie coloring books in the store, and I even had a little golden storybook, but it looks like the majority of merchandise was produced in the '50s or '60s during the TV series which was before my time.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎