Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

Had time to take it all in and have to say, it was a masterpiece.
    Being an ardor fan of the Get Back sessions from numerous years and reading books on first and second hand accounts, it is refreshing to finally see what actually happened in those sessions.
    Yes, what was displayed is what the Beatles wanted the public to see because they all knew they had to save face for the band and Apple. Meaning they can't make it appear the band was falling apart, when it was and it was show in Get Back. Body language was obvious so there were obvious tensions.

One scene that was not brought up was when Yoko went and took a digestive biscuit from George's amp, which angered George who then confronted John about it. This is what lead to the argument claiming they got into fisticuffs. Surprised that wasn't included and it was simply glossed over.

What was obvious was the wild card of John Lennon, not being super cooperative and hence why Paul confronted him and let him know the band needs to be serious about memorizing the songs and "straightening them" out so they presentable and stop goofing around with prolonged rehearsal sessions of the same songs and not making and advancement. Being in several bands I know that feeling and frustration when other band members just don't care.
    It was obvious John was not invested and there were times where he was straight faced stoned and zoning out. Not caring. I've in bands with people with this personality. I felt empathy for Paul. But Paul was way in over his head with this project to bring on board artsy newbies.

Michael Lindsay-Hogg was a terrible director in this and is ideas were ridiculous. Not even asking the band before hand to get their thoughts and input. This is where a Brian Epstein as Executive Producer would come in and wrangle the director and band to make it cohesive.

It is hard to direct or control 4 big egos and no one could do it other than Brian. When this became evident was when they were in disagreement with George Martin about the acoustics and mic placement. John and Paul were TELLING George about acoustic properties and proximity effects of microphones. As an audio engineer, I was livid and even knew Paul and George where in the wrong and mansplaining to George Martin, their audio engineer and producer. And yet George Martin took it and backed down.

I kinda had respect for Glyn Johns prior to this but after seeing this, he is a terrible producer and engineer for this project. But to his credit he was rushed but then he didn't control the sessions since he too was afraid of the Beatles and confronting them, as was evident on how they treated him. No respect. Martin was present to help him and you could see at times Glyn asking help from Martin. Martin was in these sessions and it was clear. And didn't get credit which is BS. He gave advice and guidance on what to do as witnessed in the writing and recording of Let It Be.

One thing is clear, there is no definitive Let It Be or Get Back album. Poor versions were selected for Get Back by Glyn Johns and I don't understand why he didn't use the better takes and why the "F" did he pour massive reverb on the entire album? It sounds like s**t. When you hear the actual take of the versions used on the that album, they sound clear and tight, thanks to Giles Martin. As for the Let It Be, I really do not like what Phil did with Let It Be and Long and Winding Road, the latter my top 3 Beatles fav song. But he did do justice on the other tracks. Then there is Let It Be...Naked which fixes the Macca discrepancies and does wonders for the rooftop tracks. My vote would be to have a new Get Back album made with sourcing all three albums into a cohesive album, including the overdub FIXES to make it right. Martin and Macca overseeing it.

Now the rooftop, I will not lie, this made me cry. Got chills. Felt super elated. This is the masterpiece in the masterpiece for me. Being able to witness the entire performance and in it's best sound...priceless for me. Although I need to listen to it in surround 5.1 atmos. After decades trying to get the best sources from bootlegs audio and video, I was happy to see it all in it's splendor. This is a piece of musical history and glad to see it preserved. worth the 7 plus hours wait.

Overall, this was a great series and better than Anthology for me but then I LOVE these sessions. I've already pieced together my version of the Get Back album that is better sequenced to my liking. And one side is the Rooftop performance with the best versions and is cohesive. I hope to see more material remixed and remastered released. At least the Glyn Johns Get Back album remixed and remastered.

Lastly, many people are fixated on Yoko. Not sure why. It didn't bother me and most of the time she got lost in it. She was no more a distraction than having camera men, APs, gaffers, and boom mics in the way, which were more a problem than Yoko. Plus everyone brought in loved ones, family, business associates. Yoko was definitely no a distraction for me. If anything, John Lennon being a lose cannon.
    George Harrison was indeed the one more dedicated to the music out of all of them. First thing he asks, "Where are the 8-track machines?" That is a serious musician. And to bring in his own 8-track recorder...damn. MAD RESPECT!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

Mal Evans archives are now going to be released as well. set for 2023

"Evans’ family teamed up with Beatles scholar and author Kenneth Womack for the biography, which will be published by HarperCollins’ Dey Street Books imprint. The following year, they’ll release the “Holy Grail” for Beatles fans: his archives, which fans have been speculating about for years. The collection contains diaries, manuscripts, and more."

something to look forward to

did anyone pick up the book that was released as a companion to the Get Back doc? Wondering if it is worth buying

Comment

• SeattleEd
        SynthoRes Transmigrator
        • Oct 24, 2007

The book is great for having the photos of the sessions and it also contains the dialog of series. It was a must for me.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I LOVE the Beatles (the legend), but the more and more I read about these guys makes me like them less and less.

Always knew Lennon was an ******* --- People, NEVER meet your gods

McCartney --- Ned Flanders on steroids

Harrison --- How could you be so mean to your sister while preaching love and karma to the masses ---YOU are not what you THINK you are.

Ringo --- God love him …

BEST BEATLE EVER !!!

Comment

• Megotastrophe
            Permanent Member
            • Jun 29, 2018

I thought Pete was the "Best" Beatle.

Comment

• rykerw1701
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 27, 2007

In the first part of the documentary in Twickenham, Paul is doing most of the heavy lifting. He's clearly the band leader at this point. He's busy composing "Get Back" and "Let it Be" while George sulks and John acts disinterested and distracted. Ringo is definitely ready when needed, but he wasn't a big part of the song writing process. But of course, George is sulking because Paul in particular isn't showing him a whole lot of respect. "All Things Must Pass" is a very good song, very worthy of being on a Beatles album, and Paul barely listened to what George was offering.

But I think knocking Paul is like knocking William Shatner. Without them, the whole things comes apart or never really gets off the ground. Both are self-absorbed, neither is the "cool" half of the partnership, but both do the heavy lifting, even if they could have shared the load a bit more.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Imagine,--- All Things Must Pass, Beware of Darkness --- Isn't it a Pitty

Sprinkle on some Don't Let Me Down and even You Know My Name to liven things up

The HEY JUDE album, could have been a masterpiece rather than a quick Ron Decline cash-grab

Comment

• apes3978
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Mikey
                  You Know My Name to liven things up
                  I know some feel differently, but I think "YKMN (LUTN)" is totally

My personal opinion is that it's one of the worst things they ever did.

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

Ringo --- God love him …

BEST BEATLE EVER !!!

Yeah, Ringo seemed/seems like a decent enough guy, and he seems like he could be the guy who was the glue to hold it all together at times.

He *does* go a bit far with the whole 'Peace and Love' thing though. Not saying he doesn't believe it, but he carries it a bit far at times.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by apes3978
                      I know some feel differently, but I think "YKMN (LUTN)" is totally

My personal opinion is that it's one of the worst things they ever did.
                      I love it !!!

It's the Beatles just screwing around

Almost feels like an early Fan Christmas message out-take

Comment

• Mikey
                        Verbose Member
                        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by apes3978
                        ……….

He *does* go a bit far with the whole 'Peace and Love' thing though. Not saying he doesn't believe it, but he carries it a bit far at times.
                        I'm guessing Ringo is like all of us …. take the money and run (see Steve Miller )

BTW, what ever happened to Steve Miller ?

I miss that guy's tunes

Comment

• apes3978
                          Permanent Member
                          • Nov 19, 2005

I'm guessing Ringo is like all of us …. take the money and run (see Steve Miller )

BTW, what ever happened to Steve Miller ?

I miss that guy's tunes
                          Steve was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2016... Also, I don't know if it was just a one off thing, or if he was still regularly touring at the time, but around that time (give or take a football season), he played a special season kick-off concert in the Lambeau Field parking lot. I didn't go, but the place looked jam-packed with people around the stage.

Not sure what he's been doing since then. I would guess in the times we're in now, he probably isn't touring, but I could be wrong on that.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

Ringo's peace and love bit has just become shtick at this point. but who cares? everyone loves Ringo. the guys 81 and still out there recording and touring, COVID aside. he may not have any recent hits, but i buy every album. i figure as a fan, if he is willing to still record it, i will buy it. same goes for McCartney

Comment

• rykerw1701
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                              Ringo's peace and love bit has just become shtick at this point. but who cares? everyone loves Ringo. the guys 81 and still out there recording and touring, COVID aside. he may not have any recent hits, but i buy every album. i figure as a fan, if he is willing to still record it, i will buy it. same goes for McCartney
                              I saw Ringo and his All Starr Band a couple of years ago. He puts on a good show. Lots of fun. Oh, and lots of "Peace & Love," too

Comment

• MIB41
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by rykerw1701
                                In the first part of the documentary in Twickenham, Paul is doing most of the heavy lifting. He's clearly the band leader at this point. He's busy composing "Get Back" and "Let it Be" while George sulks and John acts disinterested and distracted. Ringo is definitely ready when needed, but he wasn't a big part of the song writing process. But of course, George is sulking because Paul in particular isn't showing him a whole lot of respect. "All Things Must Pass" is a very good song, very worthy of being on a Beatles album, and Paul barely listened to what George was offering.

But I think knocking Paul is like knocking William Shatner. Without them, the whole things comes apart or never really gets off the ground. Both are self-absorbed, neither is the "cool" half of the partnership, but both do the heavy lifting, even if they could have shared the load a bit more.
                                While I think the creative process was by far the most interesting part, I've always looked at this documentary, in its original form, as the introduction to "reality tv". As previously stated, I don't really feel like any of us saw the band in their most candid moments. For the 60's, this approach was very unorthodox compared to the highly scripted profiles one would expect for its day. But we were still seeing their game faces through most of it. I think Paul enjoyed the cameras, so he mugged it up the most. Lennon was never fully comfortable with what to show of himself, so depending on his mood, he either played with the cameras or was more despondent. George never appeared to want any part of it, which catered to his impatience when they were trying to have creative discussions. To me, his argument with McCartney is born from his frustration of Paul trying to sell his command of the material to the cameras. Paul's heavy explanation of what he wanted felt more for the audience than to George. And I think that appearance of direction understandably rubbed him the wrong way. Instead of telling Paul to cut the BS, I think he decided to mock Paul by telling him he would play whatever he wanted.

Ringo has always struck me as such an amiable personality with no desire to be confrontational, so he stayed clear of the ruckus and chose to "act naturally." On the creative side I still have questions, because some of that stuff seem to come out of no where, which makes me think some of this might have been partially worked out before they started. There is a shocking amount of Abbey Road fully outlined here, including Ringo's intricate drumming pieces. Gotta believe there's another six hours of footage some of us diehards would love to digest on that (given there's 60 hours of total footage). I love the whole creation footage of Get Back, but again its a director's perspective told through editing, so we do not know if the contributions of others were left out. Its all completely fascinating. I really hope more of this footage sees the light of day.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎