X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

Did the package show up?
    I think the USPS varies depending on where you live. I tend to get stuff fast with the exception from states like PA and KY and sometimes FL and SC. Other than that super fast delivery.
    Still enjoying this boxset release. What I never liked about LIB was the tracklisting and same with LIB naked. I do like the Johns Get Back tracklisting but with a project like this, I wanted a progression and build up to the finally of rooftop performance so something that reflected the movie. I've managed to build my version of the Get Back album complete with interstitials to give it a live feel. Pulled from various sources and with some mastering in Adobe Audition and plug ins I've created a version to my liking. Tracks from this boxset made it possible to have higher quality.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
      Banned
      • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by SeattleEd
      Here is an article on demixing the Hollywood Bowl project.

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/remast...ly-made-great/
      Is that the Wink Martinadale Tapes? Man, that was a really bad sounding recording. If someone can fix that then I would say the sky is the limit. Also, if they can fix that...fix the Hamburg tapes.

Comment

• SeattleEd
        SynthoRes Transmigrator
        • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
        Is that the Wink Martinadale Tapes? Man, that was a really bad sounding recording. If someone can fix that then I would say the sky is the limit. Also, if they can fix that...fix the Hamburg tapes.
        Roberto,

Actually it was the original Capitol 3 track tapes done by George Martin. It's nuts what they did how good it sounds, I wish they did a version without the screaming but so great to see this technology in my lifetime and I also agree about the Hamburg tapes. Very historical to get those cleaned up and cleared.
        But if you read the article, it's not just a plugin or piece of software that can do this. It actually requires utilizing algorithms that are written for each instrument and sound so it requires a lot of intensive hours and worth the cost. So it is expensive and would require getting money back unless a benefactor is willing to flip the bill for the project. Wish I could because, yes, it's worth it.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by SeattleEd
          Did the package show up?
          nope. still no update on the tracking since 10/19, which means it sitting on a truck somewhere in limbo. this seems to happen often with the USPS and media mail. they just set it aside until they get to it, which might be this month or might be next month. i really hate the post office anymore. so unreliable

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

finally got my set today. this release sounds amazing. i think it is my favorite of the anniversary releases. still have to listen to the Johns mix

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Banned
              • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
              finally got my set today. this release sounds amazing. i think it is my favorite of the anniversary releases. still have to listen to the Johns mix
              Better than Pepper and the White Album?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

i loved the Esher demos with the white album, but Let it Be has always had a special place in my heart

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

So far I have only gotten through part 1...and it's rough. Very disjointed. As a Beatles Geek I really didn't learn much from it and it basically sealed what I had already known about the actual 'Twickenham Jams' aspect of the Let It Be project. What it did solidify for me was that John and Paul treated George like crap. It shows even more so than the original Let It Be film. I've always stated that All Things Must Pass is the BEST of all the solo Beatles LP's ever put out and I can see why. They, John and Paul, choked off any suggestions or original compositions that George came up with. It's no wonder that he was the first to quit the band. Very chaotic and all over the place with Part 1 in my opinion. The one positive about part 1....Visually it is absolutely STUNNING what they have done from the original footage from the Let It Be movie. A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ is what I would say about it. Hopefully Part 2 is better.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

part 2 does establish a conversation between John and Paul where they acknowledge the way they have treated George. it is a long doc to watch and probably not for the casual fan. I think between the first 2 parts it's 5.5 hours. i am enjoying it though, just seeing the crisp footage that's never been seen before is magical

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

i read today that Peter Jackson was grilling Paul and Ringo about the Lord of the Rings movie that the Beatles had toyed with in the late sixties and what had happened to it. Paul said that JR Tolkien was actually the one who put the kibosh on it as he did not want a "pop" group doing his book

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

just finished watching it. Best moment was getting to see the entire rooftop concert, as well as the footage from the street and the front office. funniest bit was little Heather McCartney imitating Yoko and screeching into the microphone, followed by Ringo blurting out "I farted, just thought I'd let you know", in the middle of a conversation, LOL

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                          Banned
                          • Jun 23, 2001

My take for what it is worth : If The Beatles would have made Billy Preston a permanent member, they would have probably gone on for a couple of more years. It is obvious what he brings to the table when he is in Part 2 and 3. The flipside of that is this : Would the Abbey Road MASTERPIECE ever have come out if Billy joins the band?? Remember, The Beatles come back after a week or two apart after Let It Be / Get Back and start working on the Abbey Road album. They ask George Martin to produce the next album and George Martin says to them "If you let me produce the album, I will." So there is that to think about.

Loved parts 2 and 3 and I have waited almost 40 years to see and hear the ENTIRE Rooftop show and it pays off in spades. So crisp and clean in the film and audio. And you can see they are enjoying the hell out of it. BTW, any band should take a tip from this documentary and that is this : Get it right by practicing / rehearsing. You see the behind the scenes in this and you say they are just goofing and really aren't even trying...but you look at that rooftop performance and they didn't miss a beat. PERFECTION in my opinion. Each member knew what to do and where to jump in etc. Over all I give the 3 part series a 8 out of 10. If Part 1 wasn't so disjointed I would have given it a 10. One last thing : I am surprised Michael Lindsay Hogg ever got a another chance to direct. The dude was just awful as a director. He thought he was freakin' Orson Welles with his stogie. And to have the guts to talk to the Beatles like they are just "ordinary" people like he did...I'm surprised they didn't really destroy him verbally with the kind of cutting wit that John and the others had. Thank God you don't see him much in Part 2 and 3.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

agreed about the rooftop concert and how great it looks and sounds. Hell, just the fact that they used 3 of those live performed songs on the album shows what an amazing band they were

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

I've really enjoyed watching the Get Back documentary. For me, it just confirms they were growing apart in a very natural way, indicative of the growing pains these four individuals were experiencing. When they were young, the band represented a safety net where they could anchor themselves to one another as they developed through this really crazy period of fame. They all had that shared experience which was so important before they had an identity for themselves. But when Brian Epstein died, they no longer had a structured environment to operate in, which meant different individuals would assert themselves to try and compensate.

I believe that's when they realized they no longer had shared goals. It seems that experience forced them into their own respective corners and they started growing lives apart from one another. By the time they got to this stage for the documentary, it feels like they were mostly tolerating one another out of respect for what they had created together. And having cameras turned on in one of the last places where they might still find refuge together was the straw that broke the camel's back. I think that forced them to see themselves as they were at that point.

I also don't really see this footage as completely candid either. I think having those cameras turned on, forced them to bite their tongues allot and the pressure of having to take the high road for the sake of what the public might see just wore them out. Sure there were plenty of great moments that were absolutely real, but I think the stress on them was palpable. Where it wasn't conveyed in words, it was obvious in their facial expressions. Those terse exchanges between George and Paul were symptomatic of what they were all feeling and I believe George was the best in trying to say what no one else knew how to. Those are just hard things to say to people you grew up with. It becomes unfathomable to wonder how that might feel if you need to state it with cameras rolling.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                                Muddling through
                                • Oct 4, 2008

well said Tom. I felt that way about it too, especially when they were sitting around talking about Yoko always being there. Paul was clearly trying to be diplomatic in what he was saying but her presence was clearly irritating everyone

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎