• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Halloween Kills

halloween kills poster.jpg

Still set on October 31, 2018, Laurie Strode and her family work with new and old allies to form a mob against Michael Myers, who is still loose in Haddonfield.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

I noticed the nod the Halloween 3 with the masks. Can’t wait for this
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, that was a great bit!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Some effective moments and a few fairly impressive kills.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

Seen it and won’t spoil anything. Loved how it started and how it ended. Of the 12 movies I ranked it #2 after the original. Yeah, I loved it that much.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• ODBJBG
            Permanent Member
            • May 15, 2009

It's pretty dreadful truth be told, in my review I referred to it as "Halloween Stalls", because the entire movie is just a giant waste of time leading to presumably the end of their trilogy. There is ZERO story in this movie. It's just Michael going around killing people for nearly two hours. I'm sure you could argue that all these movies are that, but usually, they actually have a story. This one, not so much. A couple of scant attempts here or there, but no overarching story, no character development, nothing, nada. Just fancy deaths and lots of em!

That said, it's totally watchable. There are a couple of fun bits (the flashbacks especially) that actually would have helped Halloween 2018 a lot. Really dug seeing Loomis. It's a shame they're in an otherwise pointless movie.

They totally jump the shark in terms of kills as well, with Michael killing I dunno, 80ish people and basically being John Wick in his approach. It's basically an action movie, not a horror movie but Michael is the antagonist but played like a protagonist. Rambo style... But again, it's watchable and well made in a general sense. It's just pointless and over the top.

And who would have thought that Halloween 6 would actually end up having a much better Tommy.

I'm eager to see the conclusion, but this movie made me feel like they've ran up against that wall where they don't know what to do with Michael, or know what he is (a common problem with the Halloween franchise) and didn't have a story to tell here. Hopefully the finale actually has like, a story.
            Last edited by ODBJBG; Oct 18, '21, 1:19 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Goblin19
              Talkative Member
              • May 2, 2002

I didn’t like it. Way too much time spent on characters who are only there so you can see them die.later. Reminded me of the original Halloween sequel. It lost what I like about a good scary movie, which is give me characters I actually like and make me root for them so that i care when they die. Really disappointed with this one.

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 23, 2008

I thought the movie was entertaining and I liked it way better than the Rob Zombie remakes but it does stall a lot... there were a lot of scenes that dragged on and I thought "what is the point of this" and then other scenes that were so short. Also Laurie is basically out of the whole movie lol

Comment

• RonnyG
                  Career Member
                  • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                  There is ZERO story in this movie. It's just Michael going around killing people for nearly two hours.
                  That pretty much sums up my feeling as well. I would rather they tell us why Michael Meyers is this indestructible, superhuman being, who can survive gunshots, fires, explosions, etc. (besides keeping the franchise going).

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

I like the first two Halloween movies because they feel like perfect bookends to the tale. I never felt like it needed to go beyond that. The mask and flashback scenes are executed nicely at the start of this film, but are ultimately meaningless outside of just being there for fan service. Old characters are brought back and completely wasted with a paper thin story and dialogue best described as something you would see on the SyFy channel. In fact, I would go as far as to say it felt like a fan film, made with a slightly better budget. Primary and secondary characters stand around making these cringe worthy monologues throughout the film, which gives the movie an awkward sense of self awareness. And John Carpenter's return to the scoring chair is more to repeat the original score than to build anything new. He did a much better job in the 2018 film.

Thematically the Halloween movies have served as seasonal fare to ring in the celebration. I don't give them anymore relevance (after the first two) than their writers do. But I've been a bit tougher on the David Gordon Green movies, because he made a rather ballsy move going back to the original and messing with its ending (and removing the rest) all for the stated purpose of having a "better idea that grounds the character." He's done nothing of the kind. He's eliminated the mystique of the original while mining through the other sequels to build plot points for the rest. And Michael is a complete Jason clone now, very much like he was in Halloween 4, 5, and 6. In fact he takes on MORE damage and kills more people than all of those stated films COMBINED. So the marketing is your classic bait and switch maneuver, reminding me that nothing has changed with this franchise.

Comment

• Goblin19
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 2, 2002

Right. The only thing missing from the reboots is the mystical garbage they added in 4-6.

Comment

• Confessional
                        Maker & Whatnot
                        • Aug 8, 2012

…gahh, I was really hoping for Myers to command a Silver Shamrock child army into the witching hour battle! Pretty bad. Oh well, at least Anthony Michael Hall was properly dealt with.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                          Banned
                          • Mar 31, 2018

Won’t be seeing this one. The last one was decent, but none of these sequels have ever felt worthy to the original, which is one of the greatest horror films of all time. Every installment is just trying (and failing) to live up to the original, proving once and for all that catching lighting in a bottle twice is an impossible feat.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                            Persistent Member
                            • Aug 27, 2007

I really enjoyed the first half of this movie, and then it felt like they didn't know what to do with it. The last half goes nowhere, does nothing new. It's not a terrible movie at all, but given it has a good cast and what appears to be a decent budget, it comes up short. I don't expect Citizen Kane with these, but I do expect a more complete and planned story line, not just "And then Michael goes on a killing spree" to fill the last half of a movie.

Comment

• 74SpaceAce
                              • Sep 25, 2020

Originally posted by Confessional
                              …gahh, I was really hoping for Myers to command a Silver Shamrock child army into the witching hour battle! Pretty bad. Oh well, at least Anthony Michael Hall was properly dealt with.
                              Building off Halloween III would have been brilliant and hilarious! If only there could have been some such spark of life in it. Their "legacy" picture comes off like an obituary for the franchise. It seems there's a ham-fisted attempt at political commentary in there (how our fears/anger can be misplaced), but maybe I am just trying to put some meaning in a movie with no point at all.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎