X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danadoll
    Micronaut Nut!
    • Apr 11, 2005

DC Doom Patrol TV Series...

Okay, I've said before I'm not a big DC fan (probably here and elsewhere), I may have probably mentioned that the only DC team/property that I like/love is the Doom Patrol. After watching several of the DC series (Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends...ugh, Batwoman...ugh, Superman and Lois) and sometimes enjoying them or cringing through them, I'm now officially going on record to say (in my honest opinion) that the Doom Patrol series is the best out of all of the DC series (that I've seen).

It has tried hard to stay true to its weird roots and its characters, yet also tried to stay current with the zeitgheist of today but also with times past, (which is very cool). It has a lot of heart, kookiness, laughs, creepiness, weirdness, pushes boundaries and kicks arse. I just bought the second season from eBay and watched all of it this week. I absolutely adore this series so much.

The other DC series which I sort of enjoyed (like Arrow, Flash and Supergirl) all seemed to fall into repeating patterns after the first couple of seasons, which became horribly boring to me (like either the main character or the main character's love interest gets taken away at the end of every season, to put a damper of the growing romance, just to have them come back the next season, to rebuild things OR a dark version of the hero shows up to battle the hero for most of the season OR some other nonsense that they will repeat the next season and the next and the next). I watched the first two seasons of Legends, but I just thought it was dreadful (bad scripts, lines and acting...I recently caught a new episode on TV and thought it was just as bad...one with a giant space bug and a 50s diner...ugh). I've watched several episodes of early Batwoman and that was dreadful too (the acting was either so wooden or so over the top, the extremes gave me motion sickness), recent episodes with the new actress don't hold my attention either. I also caught a few episodes of Superman and Lois, which were so-so. It was certainly nothing that gripped me.

I have really lost interest in the DC shows, except the Doom Patrol, which I have found to be superb.

Anyway, just my two cent opinion...LOL.

Dana
    Last edited by danadoll; Jun 24, '21, 4:36 PM.
    "Do you want a doll?" Kurt
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I'm a big Doom Patrol fan, both in comics and on screen. I've enjoyed the series quite and bit and am looking forward to another season.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

All I can say is, "try Titans!".

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

i watched Doom, but really, i find it a little too weird. I do love Titans though

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

The top 5 current-ish superhero shows for me go...

1. Doom Patrol
          2. Invincible
          3. The Boys
          4. Wandavision
          5. Umbrella Academy

But Doom Patrol is head and shoulders above the others.

Forget superhero shows, I think it is just one of the best current TV shows period.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I adore Doom Patrol, I actually haven't finished the second season because it's like wine, I want to savour it. It's a brilliant series and just so true to it's roots, I wish we could get an Animal Man series like this.

There isn't a character i dislike, even Cyborg works.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• danadoll
              Micronaut Nut!
              • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by sprytel
              The top 5 current-ish superhero shows for me go...

1. Doom Patrol
              2. Invincible
              3. The Boys
              4. Wandavision
              5. Umbrella Academy

But Doom Patrol is head and shoulders above the others.

Forget superhero shows, I think it is just one of the best current TV shows period.
              I actually loved WandaVision, Sprytel.

Dana

Comment

• danadoll
                Micronaut Nut!
                • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                All I can say is, "try Titans!".
                I have seen a few of episodes of Titans, it's really not my thing. I just think they wandered too far from the soul of some of the characters (Beast Boy, Starfire and Raven, to name a few). It just didn't hold my attention.

Edit: I apologize that I forgot to mention that I had seen a few eps of Titans (about 4 or 5).

Dana
                Last edited by danadoll; Jun 25, '21, 8:59 AM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I still haven't carved out time for Doom Patrol, despite my best intentions. The Super Hero shows tend to be family viewing time, and Titans definitely doesn't fit that...which is sad in and of itself. The show may be great on it's own merits, but why make a Titans show dark and foul-mouthed? I get it with Doom Patrol, due to the deep Vertigo connection.

I have seen bits of a few episodes of Titans with my 19 year old son, who loves it. I can appreciate what they are doing, but again, I really wish they didn't feel the need to go that whole "DARKNESS" route with it.

I think I'm just going to dive in with Doom Patrol and worry about Titans later.

chrsi
                  sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

i like the dark take on Titans. there are plenty of family friendly superhero shows so i don't mind having some dark and adult oriented shows out there too

Comment

• Makernaut
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 22, 2015

"Doom Patrol" is one of the most satisfyingly enjoyable shows I have seen in a long while. Great stories (that range between lots of fun and occasionally, a bit gut-wrenching), compelling characters that I care about, and a really fine cast.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

i like the dark take on Titans. there are plenty of family friendly superhero shows so i don't mind having some dark and adult oriented shows out there too
                        I have no problem with dark takes on properties that are actually dark. But Titans has never been that. A little teen emo, sure, but never just depressingly dark.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• rche
                          channeling Bob Wills
                          • Mar 26, 2008

Doom Patrol is just super crazy fun. My wife enjoys superhero genre shows, but has never read any DP, much less been exposed to Grant Morrison's writing from that period. I think she enjoys it even more than I do.

We found the Boys to be very well written, produced, and acted but so extremely dark and pessimistic. I suspect we would say the same about many of the 'mature audience' super shows out there.

I have not watched Titans, but if it is in that same vein, I would agree that those characters don't really need to be in that type of show. Teens can be moody, sure, but absolute nihilism vs. a teenagers natural bent to know how to fix the world if only the stupid adults would listen does not seem like a Teen Titan type show to me.

We are enjoying Umbrella Academy, but not nearly as much as Doom Patrol. When we were chatting about shows the other day, my wife asked what character I most related to in DP. I answered and then asked her who she would relate to in Umbrella. She said she didn't want to relate to any of them because they were all despicable at one level or another. I think that is the difference in the characters of many of these shows. Flawed characters with true human characteristics, and ones that may have flaws but just don't care.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

I don't think the Titans are teens in the show.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

I thoroughly love

Doom Patrol
                              Umbrella Academy
                              Titans
                              Stargirl

I need to get back to Black Lightning and give it another go. I haven't been able to force myself to catch up with Flash, Batgirl, Legends, or Super-anything. I don't know if I got spoiled by how much better Arrow and the rest were in the early seasons, or that they truly are so bad now. Maybe a little of both?

I'm loving all the MCU TV stuff so far. Their formula to leave us wanting more is probably smart.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎