X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by KnightDetective
    I think so. Just a personal "head canon" thing, but I've come to link the events of ST: First Contact to the creation of an alternate universe in which ST: Enterprise takes place, which leads to Discovery, Strange New Worlds and a somewhat altered (unseen) version of TNG that leads to the events of the Picard show. Retcon of a retcon to be sure, but there are very few things you have to ignore to make it work. Also has the benefit of leaving the classic TOS timeline separate and untainted. Sometimes I feel all of the TNG movies from Generations on could already be in that alternate universe. Would explain a lot of inconsistencies. Again, nothing official, just helps me to not holler at the screen because they changed something and "ruined my childhood"! Admittedly, I could be overthinking this!

Don't get me started on Classic vs. New Who...
    I pretty much feel exactly the same way as you in how I separate the Star Trek universes, including the TNG movies splitting off into their own universe. The only difference is I tend to think of “All Good Things…” as the split point, when Picard is phasing through time.

You basically have the original timeline (which sees Riker as an admiral and the Enterprise sporting a third nacelle), and the new timeline (where the Enterprise goes on to be destroyed and Kirk dies).

For me, personally, I prefer the future we saw in “All Good Things…” to the one we saw in the subsequent TNG movies, none of which are especially good in my book.

All of Roddenberry/Berman Trek is “real Star Trek” to me, though, what ever timeline they fall on. Bad Reboot / JarJar Abrams Star Dreck isn’t.

Comment

• KnightDetective
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 31, 2012

Originally posted by Liu Bei
      I pretty much feel exactly the same way as you in how I separate the Star Trek universes, including the TNG movies splitting off into their own universe. The only difference is I tend to think of “All Good Things…” as the split point, when Picard is phasing through time.

You basically have the original timeline (which sees Riker as an admiral and the Enterprise sporting a third nacelle), and the new timeline (where the Enterprise goes on to be destroyed and Kirk dies).
      Oh, good call on "All Good Things"! Hadn't considered that as a viable nexus point and it could work so well. Thank you! Added bonus, it makes possible a better branching version of the Admiral Riker future, since the crew was warned about drifting apart.

I read a comment elsewhere from someone hoping Picard season three would be TNG's "Undiscovered Country" moment. A proper sendoff which had been denied to them with Nemesis. For me, that sendoff was the card game in the last moments of "All Good Things".

Sorry angst lovers, I'm a sucker for a happy ending!

Comment

• Liu Bei
        Banned
        • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by KnightDetective
        Oh, good call on "All Good Things"! Hadn't considered that as a viable nexus point and it could work so well. Thank you! Added bonus, it makes possible a better branching version of the Admiral Riker future, since the crew was warned about drifting apart.

I read a comment elsewhere from someone hoping Picard season three would be TNG's "Undiscovered Country" moment. A proper sendoff which had been denied to them with Nemesis. For me, that sendoff was the card game in the last moments of "All Good Things".

Sorry angst lovers, I'm a sucker for a happy ending!
        Agreed. For me, “All Good Things…” is the official end to Star Trek: The Next Generation. I like to imagine the crew still out there somewhere, doing further missions together onboard the Enterprise D. That’s how they’ll always remain in my memory.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

i'm confused by this weeks episode. spoilers if you haven't watched

how is it that Picard can go into cardiac arrest when he is now an android?

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
            valar morghulis
            • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            i'm confused by this weeks episode. spoilers if you haven't watched

how is it that Picard can go into cardiac arrest when he is now an android?
            This might help. Or not. I mean this is Kurtzman Trek after all, making sense is not its prime directive

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

well, it's something of an explanation, if not entirely explained

Comment

• Liu Bei
                Banned
                • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                This might help. Or not. I mean this is Kurtzman Trek after all, making sense is not its prime directive

https://screenrant.com/picard-explai...nt-from-datas/
                They turn Picard into a 90-year-old android with internal organs so realistic that he can go into cardiac arrest. LOL.

I remember when Star Trek used to be smart.

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Liu Bei
                  They turn Picard into a 90-year-old android with internal organs so realistic that he can go into cardiac arrest. LOL.

I remember when Star Trek used to be smart.
                  Yep, they don't make 'em like "Spock's Brain" anymore...

Comment

• Liu Bei
                    Banned
                    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by sprytel
                    Spock’s Brain is laughably bad. A 90-year-old android going into cardiac arrest is just dumb.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

I refuse to buy the CBS Star Trek pay station (seems like a rip-off to Trek fans)

From the clips I've seen on YouTube it seems incredibly boring

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by sprytel
                        I’m going to go out on a limb and say you were being sarcastic…

It’s amusing the older generation thinks everything was better back then, but to be brutally honest, garbage programming has always existed too. Yes, lots of bad stuff today, but also some brilliant productions as well.

It really hasn’t changed, we are just more nostalgic about it.

P.S. I’m of course not remotely hating on the original Star Trek, as it’s my personal favorite. But not everything on that show was perfect either. It was of course original, almost…as I’m sure the film ‘Forbidden Planet’ was seen by Gene Roddenberry. Forbidden Planet was straight up Star Trek to me. My point? Everyone influences everyone. Heck, The Next Generation comes from the bloody original series. So why not today’s Star Trek? Same thing, lol.
                        Last edited by Hector; Apr 9, '22, 6:00 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Liu Bei
                          Banned
                          • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Hector
                          I’m going to go out on a limb and say you were being sarcastic…

It’s amusing the older generation thinks everything was better back then, but to be brutally honest, garbage programming has always existed too. Yes, lots of bad stuff today, but also some brilliant productions as well.

It really hasn’t changed, we are just more nostalgic about it.

P.S. I’m of course not remotely hating on the original Star Trek, as it’s my personal favorite. But not everything on that show was perfect either. It was of course original, almost…as I’m sure the film ‘Forbidden Planet’ was seen by Gene Roddenberry. Forbidden Planet was straight up Star Trek to me. My point? Everyone influences everyone. Heck, The Next Generation comes from the bloody original series. So why not today’s Star Trek? Same thing, lol.
                          Do you believe the writing on STD or STP is equal to that of TOS, TNG, or DS9?

There’s a difference between having horrible episodes in a series and just being a horrible series.

Too many times nowadays people are completely incapable articulating a coherent defense of their ideas. The instinct is to immediately attack and engage in whataboutisms.

“Boy, it sure is hot today.”

“Oh yeah… well… it gets hot other places too, buddy! So there!”

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

if you don't like it, don't watch it. but if you aren't watching, how can you say it is a horrible series?

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                              if you don't like it, don't watch it. but if you aren't watching, how can you say it is a horrible series?
                              He hasn’t even seen Picard?
                              Last edited by Hector; Apr 10, '22, 1:26 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Double post….
                                Last edited by Hector; Apr 10, '22, 1:19 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎