X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

The Wonderful World of Kenner’s Blythe

Kenner’s Blythe dolls is a truly interesting story about toy collecting and pop culture in general. Originally released in 1972 and sold in North America, the UK and Japan, by Kenner. The Blythe line did not catch on and Kenner chose not to continue it in 1973, giving it a single season on the […]
    The post The Wonderful World of Kenner’s Blythe appeared first on PS.

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, that is interesting. I knew when Blythe was big a few years back that it was an old doll, but I never knew anything beyond that. She was definitely a precursor to a lot of stuff we see today!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

Fun fact: Before settling on the pull string mechanism, Blythe was originally powered by the nightmares of little children. They had to abandon the design because the doll would get overcharged.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Blythe and Susie Sad-Eyes don't hold a candle to Little Miss No-Name for unsettling doll-creepiness.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          Blythe and Susie Sad-Eyes don't hold a candle to Little Miss No-Name for unsettling doll-creepiness.
          What about Nancy Nonsense? A cute talking doll that said 216 random insane ramblings.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MysteryWho
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 16, 2008

The Blythe dolls remind of those big eye paintings that used to be popular. There is usually one at the flea market flanked by the sad clown portrait.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

When I was 6 I got the blonde Blythe doll. I now have an Ashton-Drake replica. Bouncy brown is actually orange, and pretty purple is actually pink. (Maybe the other colors were on a prototype?) I will probably be doing a video on my playlist about her at some point.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• RonnyG
                Career Member
                • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                Wow, that is interesting. I knew when Blythe was big a few years back that it was an old doll, but I never knew anything beyond that. She was definitely a precursor to a lot of stuff we see today!

Chris
                I vaguely remember these dolls, but you're right about them being a precursor to today's stuff. The Rainbow High and the LOL Dolls look very similar!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎