X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

MOTU Origins series 5 comparison pics.

2002 Evil-Lyn, Origins 2002 homage and series 1 Origins Evil-Lyn.

muoevillyn2.JPG

I think the new purple Lyn actually works better as a Filmation stand in.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 16, '21, 9:14 AM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Keldor and Kronis 2 pack.

muokeldor.JPG

Super nice bonus mini comic Skeletor head will inset jeweled eyes.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Sorceress with Origins Temple of Darkness Sorceress from the Castle Grayskull playset.

muosorceress1.JPG

The original Sorceress figure didn't stand well even when brand new because of the heavy back pack which hid the pop out wings action feature. The Origins figure has articulated wings but lacks the spring out action feature. The wings are really well done. The translucent plastic is lovely, the sculpt is very clean and the joints are nicely hidden. The MOTUC Sorceress, in comparison, had very bulky, poorly hidden and designed wing joints.
      Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 16, '21, 9:20 AM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I just don't understand Kronis, I think his other design is much better. I like Evil-Lyn, though.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I just don't understand Kronis, I think his other design is much better. I like Evil-Lyn, though.
          I'm not a big fan of all the retcons of the characters back stories or giving them "real names." I like Trap Jaw better as just a monster and I know it was very vaguely hinted at in the Search for Keldor mini comic, I still prefer the original backstory of Skeletor as a demon from another dimension. Skeletor being Adam's uncle is way too Star Warsy I am your father kinda thing, to me.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Yes, but i was referring to Kronis' original lime-green version.

I do like Keldor, l but I agree it's very pat.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Congratulations on getting that Keldor/Kronis 2-pack. Apparently it would be easier to find the Ark of the Covenant.

Keldor is cool, but yeah, the whole uncle thing is a bit much.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                Congratulations on getting that Keldor/Kronis 2-pack. Apparently it would be easier to find the Ark of the Covenant.
                Thanks lucked out and found one on the shelves at Target. From what I've read they are starting to show up more. The hardest thing for me to find has been the flocked Panthor.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

Keldor is one of the most derivative, poorly written and conceived ideas in all of fandom. Feels like some goofy fanboy wrote it. It's so bad I'm almost shocked that Neitlich didn't come up with it! Made even worse by the fact that if you actually follow the "canon" as it were, not only is Keldor made out to be sympathetic, but the entire concept makes pretty much everyone in Eternia out to be a racist bad guy.

I know Keldor was an original mini comic, but it was all so fun and shrouded in mystery, we have no idea what he looked like or what he was doing beyond being Randor's brother. I like to think they probably had something way cooler in mind than what became the story. Especially since they already had an origin for Skeletor that wouldn't jive with him being Keldor.

I still want that 2 pack though!

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Keldor is cool, but yeah, the whole uncle thing is a bit much.

Chris
                    i found one at Target like a week ago. Still haven't seen Scareglow yet.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

Nice to know it's showing up. Given some of the usual toy YouTubers ranting about it, I just assumed it was still impossible to find.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Castle Grayskull vintage vs Origins

muogray.JPG

I've seen some reviews that mentioned that the new Castle is made out of a softer plastic. It's not made out of the same very rigid kind of brittle plastic of the original one but the plastic is not soft. The body of the castle is still hard plastic. Yes, there is a very, very slight bit of flex on the the top of the turret. But no more than the MOTUC Grayskull. The differences in the plastics used is hard to explain. It's still hard plastic but it is modern hard plastic. It has a satisfying hard plastic sound when you tap on it. It's also not super light. It seems about as heavy as the original to me.

The original Castle Grayskull was insanely popular and sold for the length of the line. So there are loads of variations. My vintage castle is one of earliest made in USA releases with the neater more elaborate paint and without the clips to hold to hold the laser cannon in place on the turret floor. The new castle is big. Just as big as the original. The turrets are deeper and you can actually fit a figure on the platform behind the laser cannon. I think the new sculpt is great. Has a bit of a Filmation look too it. I really like it. The Origins castle has everything that was great about the original and fixes all of it's flaws, like the cardboard computer. Great toy!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^Wow, that's great to hear. It looks fantastic. I have an early classic Grayskull too with the neater paint, received for Christmas 1982. In fact, until recently I didn't realize how sloppy the later ones had gotten!

It's so nice to see a REAL playset like this get made nowadays, and so very, very rare. I will be tempted by this when I see it, for sure.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Here's a side view to help show the size of it.

muogray2.JPG

There hasn't been a playset like this at retail for a very long time. You have to give Mattel credit, you just don't expect to see 1980s size and quality playsets any more.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I like how they completed the turret on the other side. Very well done.

I wonder if some folks who forked over the cash for the Classics Grayskull are now like "Aw, man...". ;-)

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎