X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Star Maidens

Plaid Stallions Toy-Ventures this week is all about the Star Maidens line of toys, you know I talk a lot about Knock-offs on this show and I love them but our subject today only looks one, they’re actually officially licensed toys from a tv program that not many people watched.

Star Maidens in a UK/German co-production filmed in 1975. It involves the Planet Medusa which has broken free of Its orbit and roams the galaxy while its citizens live underground and it's a matriarchal society where men are second-class citizens.

Uk Based Toy Maker Julius Cowan licensed Star Maidens for toys and did something that hadn’t been done before for a science-fiction property, they chose not to release a single male action figure.

The main focus of the Star Maidens toy line were the ladies and the 12’ Fashion dolls produced consisted of three Medusan characters and an earth protagonist.

Get Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    Welcome to our online store! Feel free to browse around: [mp_store_navigation] Check out our most popular products: [mp_popular_products] Browse by category: [mp_list_categories] Browse by tag: [mp_tag_cloud]Read more →

Join Pod Stallions Here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/podstallions'

Mego Knock Off Head Quarters is the best group on Facebook:
    A discussion group for Vintage Mego Knock-Offs and bootleg toys includes Azrak Hamway (AHI), Lincoln International, Mortoys, PACO, Redbox, and Tomland, just to name a few. Buying and selling is...

More...
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

The fact this series got licensed warms my heart. As a kid I would have probably been frustrated that they only made the women (and today I can mourn that there's not a Shem to turn into a Blake figure), but I agree with you applauding that decision. In fact, outside of a fashion doll line, is there a line with no male characters at all?

And you can probably guess from my comment above that I wish there was a figure line for Blake's 7.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• RonnyG
      Career Member
      • Apr 23, 2014

I've never watched the show, and those dolls DO look cheap and generic like knock-offs---but, there's something about them. I must have them!!!

I'm pretty sure that blue space helmet is the same football helmet that's on my Big Jim: IMG_20210611_191135.jpg
      Last edited by RonnyG; Jun 11, '21, 9:26 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Until this video I had NO IDEA this show existed, and by this point in my nerd life, that's kind of rare. Thanks for sharing.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎